Premed 101 Forums

Only VR that's looked at?

Hi guys,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but...

When Mac says they look at just the verbal component of the MCAT, does this mean that scores from all other sections are completely disregarded? I'm asking because I will be applying to only Mac (no other school) this Fall, and want to know if I would be hurting my chances by preparing only for the VR section.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

My apologies if this has been asked before, but...

When Mac says they look at just the verbal component of the MCAT, does this mean that scores from all other sections are completely disregarded? I'm asking because I will be applying to only Mac (no other school) this Fall, and want to know if I would be hurting my chances by preparing only for the VR section.

Thanks.

Yeah they only care about VR. You can just disregard the other sections of the test entirely if Mac is really all you care about. However, they could change that policy at any time. Not likely, but anything can happen, as Queen's has shown this year.

Thanks guys!

So, how does it work exactly? Does Mac not receive the grades to the other sections at all, or are they glanced at but not given consideration? My suspicion is the latter, but I fear that scoring low on the other sections and having those scores released to schools like Mac - who state that they don't care about them - would still have some kind of a negative effect, even if only momentarily in the mind of one admission's member. Meh...

Thanks guys!

So, how does it work exactly? Does Mac not receive the grades to the other sections at all, or are they glanced at but not given consideration? My suspicion is the latter, but I fear that scoring low on the other sections and having those scores released to schools like Mac - who state that they don't care about them - would still have some kind of a negative effect, even if only momentarily in the mind of one admission's member. Meh...

You are assuming they look at them at all. With the shear number of applicants and the MMI system they have it vastly more likely that the VR and GPA are simply thrown into a computer that spits out the result for scoring. Again with the MMI there is no one person to be negatively effected and the entire system is setup up to stop such a thing from happening and there is no other place in the scoring where it could negatively affect you :)

Also keep in mind that should you ever decide down the road to apply to other schools, you don't want a lousy score to bring you down. I think some of the schools in the states take the average of your test scores or something like that, so even if you rewrote and did stellar, it could come back to haunt you. I would prepare for the whole thing. Besides, just doing VR nonstop for months and months could probably drive a person crazy :P

Also keep in mind that should you ever decide down the road to apply to other schools, you don't want a lousy score to bring you down. I think some of the schools in the states take the average of your test scores or something like that, so even if you rewrote and did stellar, it could come back to haunt you. I would prepare for the whole thing. Besides, just doing VR nonstop for months and months could probably drive a person crazy :P
+1

Excellent advice.

Archived