Premed 101 Forums

Med-P from CEGEP Complications

loki22

Hey everyone,

I'm kind of confused with how the whole course load works in CEGEP, particularly Dawson, here's my situation (any help at all would be appreciated):

I did not have my Science pre-reqs from high school so I started taking them in Continued Education at Dawson, planning to finish by August, however I read on the forums that unless you finish CEGEP in 4 semesters, with a full course load, there isn't the slightest chance of getting into the Med-P program.

Here's my problem, starting August I will be entering the Health Science program in day school, full course load... If once starting the program I finish in the four semesters required, will they still count my time spent in Continued Ed as part of the program (therefore disqualifying me from applying to Med-P)?

I checked on the Dawson site and it states that Continued Ed students are not considered Full Time Students...meaning it shouldn't count as part of my Dawson program in the end, since I only took it to get into Health Science the pre-reqs in the first place...but as we've all come to expect, nothing is certain in Quebec ;)

Sorry about the confusing post, lots of worries only so many lines :)

This is an interesting situation your in.

I think as long as you did your high school science courses at dawson and didnt do any other cegep courses, you will still have a regular full course load during health sciences and will remain eligible for med-p should you apply.

However i am unsure if not having done health science immediately after high school would cause problems for you when applying to med-p. I would like to think that it wouldent, but im not 100% sure, maybe someone else can chip in here.

Take care and Best of luck. ;)

This is an interesting situation your in.

I think as long as you did your high school science courses at dawson and didnt do any other cegep courses, you will still have a regular full course load during health sciences and will remain eligible for med-p should you apply.

However i am unsure if not having done health science immediately after high school would cause problems for you when applying to med-p. I would like to think that it wouldent, but im not 100% sure, maybe someone else can chip in here.

Take care and Best of luck. ;)

Thanks for the reply :D

Right now I'm taking Knowledge too, dont know why the hell I took it but it's the only non-pre req im taking... are you able to add an optional course to your course load to make it a full once you enter the program?

Their website says something along the lines of "extending program of study due to personal choice" or something like that. I'd really contact them as i don't see your situation as extending your time at dawson just because you wanted a lighter course load. I think if you take a full course load for the next 4 semesters, you might have a chance.

Give them a call :) the new reforms and high school advising has quite a few people in this situation...

And if you can let us know their response, it would be helpful others in the same situation! Good luck!

Archived