Premed 101 Forums

Who would you like to shadow?

Boa

What? How do you know how many black people are in neurosurgery and neurology?

However, what you wrote is quite common and you had no negative intention at all. I overreacted. Sorry about that.

i have his book. i couldn't get through it.

felt very preachy. it could have been how i was reading it, but it just felt like he was being fake about his attitude. had a pretty interesting upbringing though.

he does mention in the book about there being very few neurologists/neurosurgeons relative to the rest of the physician population and national population in general... then he goes on to say that there are even fewer that are involved with just head/brain issues... specifically, the surgical removal of tumors. i think that was the point where i stopped reading because it felt like he was saying- i'm the best, i do this and i do it all the time... the other guys just focus on other junk... therefore, they are not as good as me.

however, the guy is still a genius... just hard to read the book.

i can't remember if he goes on to say how many african american neurosurgeons there are, but the field itself is pretty exclusive (less than 1000 in the us) so it would stand to reason that there aren't that many in the us.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, what you wrote is quite common and you had no negative intention at all. I overreacted. Sorry about that.

felt very preachy. it could have been how i was reading it, but it just felt like he was being fake about his attitude. had a pretty interesting upbringing though.

he does mention in the book about there being very few neurologists/neurosurgeons relative to the rest of the physician population and national population in general... then he goes on to say that there are even fewer that are involved with just head/brain issues... specifically, the surgical removal of tumors. i think that was the point where i stopped reading because it felt like he was saying- i'm the best, i do this and i do it all the time... the other guys just focus on other junk... therefore, they are not as good as me.

i can't remember if he goes on to say how many african american neurosurgeons there are, but the field itself is pretty exclusive (less than 1000 in the us) so it would stand to reason that there aren't that many in the us.

This guy:

asclepius.gif

I figure everything I could ever want to know about medicine I could find out from him;)

Bonus internetz points to anyone that knows his significance!

''his daughters are Hygieia ("Hygiene"), Iaso ("Medicine"), Aceso ("Healing"), Aglæa/Ægle ("Healthy Glow"), and Panacea ("Universal Remedy"). ''

hahaha i want to shadow UNIVERSAL REMEDY

I'm reading his latest book (The Mind's Eye), and I'd say that it could have been better. He does not explain the physiological basis behind what's happening to his patients, and simply describes what their lives are like...come on, I can find that kind of info on Wikipedia :P . Also, he repeats himself too much.

Thats exactly why I put his book down loll

Archived