Premed 101 Forums

Out of Province

Guest sadeja

Guest sadeja

I don't know if i'm on the right forum but here it comes:

I can see that many of you are considering applying to different provinces. Isn't it the rule that you have to be a resident of a province for at least 1 year in order to apply to it's Univerisities otherwise you're paying higher tuition fees? I don't know where I got that but I was positive that I can't apply anywhere else unless I didn't want to pay the same fees as international students do.

Good luck to all of you who wrote the MCAT this week.

Guest UWOMED2005

You're on the right track, but you're information is a little off.

There is a tuition difference for out-of-province students for Quebec. But I don't think it's as severe as for international students.

And I don't think that's the case at all for the other provinces.

Not that it matters what OOP students pay, as it's practically impossible to get into McGill as an out of province student! Traditionally, they've only allowed 5 OOP students MAX. For the record, they usually allow 20 some international students. . . probably because of those increased international fees.

Every province's schools are different in how they set their quotas for OOP. UBC is probably the most difficult, whereas the schools in Ontario on the whole are more accepting of OOP students. Sometimes there won't be many spots (ie Dal - only 8 in years past) but there won't be many applicants (only 74 the year I applied) making it worth it.

It's probably worthwhile to look at each school individually to see if it is worth it.

Guest sadeja

Thanks. I can see now. I forgot to mention that I was actually looking into the Vet Schools. But one way or another I was convinced that you have to live in a Province for a year in order to apply. I didn't even know that you would be considered OOApplicant, didn't know that such category exists.

Guest blinknoodle

I think vet schools may be different then med schools.

I don't know for sure, but I remember my friend saying that she could only apply to Guelph, because the other vet schools were allocated to take students from the closest provinces (and that didn't include her).

I hope you figure it out!

Cheers,

blinknoodle

Guest sadeja

Thank you, guys. I couldn't find a good VET School Forum and this place is just grate so that's why you get to listen to unrelated questions every now and again :D

Archived