Premed 101 Forums

Disclosing health status?

Hi all,

I have a question regarding interviews. I was wondering if it's okay to disclose personal health conditions during interview. Reason I bring this up is because I developed a chronic disease in high school. And in fact, it's this event that completely changed the course of my decisions and is actually what motivated me to pursue medicine. Hence I can imagine this topic coming up.

I was wondering whether I should disclose this at all, and any suggestion on how I should approach this during interview would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I would. If it played an integral role in bringing you where you are today I think it is something that is both important and may be a way to make yourself more memorable. The adcoms are not allowed to be biased against individuals with disabilities etc so long as they won't impede your ability to perform as a doctor (for example, if you are blind they may find it difficult to see how you will succeed as a physician as observation and the ability to perform procedures is important).

Archived