Premed 101 Forums

What should I do in summer? MCAT, research, or summer school?

Currently second year UTSG life sci student Immune, neuro double major

First year:

CHM138+139, PHY131, PSY100, BIO150, MAT135, ECO100

cGPA= 3.37 (rough start)

Second year first semester:

BCH210, PSY240, BIO240, PSL302, STA220

GPA= 3.83 omsas

Second year second semester:

HMB265, HMB200, IMM250, PSL302, BIO241

Currently doing well, aiming for 3.9 for second semester.

I do volunteer in the hospital and church.

For summer:

I applied for research position oversea (Kidney research in Taiwan) and is likely to get one.

I was invited by my church to a medical mission trip to Africa and Taiwan.

On the other hand I'm also thinking of taking a first year English course and Org CHM247 in the summer for American medical schools as back up plans.

I also want to take MCAT in the summer so that I get another chance in 3rd year.

Now questions:

-I'm struggling between the above four since I don't think I can manage all of them at once (maybe 2 at most), If you guys were in my situation, what would you choose? What would be most important in terms of priority?

-Should I really take the two courses for summer school? How do you guys think?

Taking the MCAT right after PSL302, BCH210, BIO240/241, HMB265 and concurrently with CHM247 will make the Bio section a joke.

Did you apply for a research position in Toronto?

It'd be cool to do the medical mission trip. But it's the lowest yield.

Personally if I were you, I'd do local volunteering, summer school (Orgo, Eng) and write the MCAT. A local research position would be solid as well.

Taking the MCAT right after PSL302, BCH210, BIO240/241, HMB265 and concurrently with CHM247 will make the Bio section a joke.

Did you apply for a research position in Toronto?

It'd be cool to do the medical mission trip. But it's the lowest yield.

Personally if I were you, I'd do local volunteering, summer school (Orgo, Eng) and write the MCAT. A local research position would be solid as well.

I did apply for SickKids summer research program, but its pretty competitive and I don't think my GPA from first year would do me any good.

I will continue local volunteer at the hospital in the summer as long as I'm in Toronto.

Thanks for the advice

I personally wouldn't do summer school & MCAT, too much studying

If I was to stay in town for the summer I'd do research & MCAT, changes things up a bit

You could try emailing some researchers at U of T for volunteer positions maybe

If you aren't going to apply to med school this fall you could hold off on the MCAT until next summer

I personally wouldn't do summer school & MCAT, too much studying

If I was to stay in town for the summer I'd do research & MCAT, changes things up a bit

You could try emailing some researchers at U of T for volunteer positions maybe

If you aren't going to apply to med school this fall you could hold off on the MCAT until next summer

The thing is I just completed all the bio courses that are directly related to MCAT. I just wanna do it while things are still really fresh in mind. On the other hand, I dont really mind this much of studying. I dont think its any worse than normally school years. Also doing in second year gives me another shot next year. I dont know.. I still got time to decide.

Do you think its better to do research within Canada?

Archived