Premed 101 Forums

Releasing of Scores for August 2002 MCAT

Guest chriskim23

Guest chriskim23

I was wondering if I should release my scores? I wrote the MCAT in August 2002 and did okay, but not as well as I would like! Need a higher mark in VR!!! (I will be rewriting the MCAT in August 2003) So, should I release the scores or not of the 2002 MCAT? Will it matter when I apply to Canadian schools? However, I heard that it might matter when I apply to the states.

Thanks

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I think they're changing the policy about releasing scores this year, so now you won't get a choice. I guess it depends on just how badly you did. Do you plan on applying to schools in the upcoming application cycle? I didn't make the cut-offs for 2 schools in Ontario, so I said to myself that I would apply to schools where I did meet the cut-offs before deciding to re-take the MCAT. (and there's always Ottawa & Mac) It's expensive to re-take and apparently not everyone who re-takes improves their scores, so it's a gamble. If I don't get in this year, I will most likely be re-taking in August to improve my chances at other schools. Bottom line, if you're willing to wait a year and see which schools interview you with your current MCAT scores, then I think you shouldn't re-take just yet. (on a side note, McGill requires that you have a 30 overall and they don't specify numbers for each category--I've heard of people getting in with 6's in VR and high scores in the other 2 categories)

Guest chriskim23

Thanks biochem10,

I did not apply this year, but am planning to apply next year. I just wanted to make sure if I should send my scores or not. I am just worried that the medical schools will see that I wrote and did not release my marks and therefore, might look bad or decline my acceptance. Does anyone think I should just release my scores no matter how I did?

Thanks guys!

Guest Biochem10

Oh okay, I see... Some schools have a policy that you must give the results of all MCATs taken, in that case, not revealing that you took the MCAT would be lying and could be grounds for disqualification. Although I'm not sure whether or not you must "officially" release scores through the MCAT office or whether you can "unofficially" give them your scores. I think you should look into each school's policy before deciding on this one.

Guest chriskim23

Hey biochem,

It is safe to say that you did release your scores to all the schools! I am worried that if I do not release my scores, than it might hurt me.

Archived