Premed 101 Forums

how many engineers apply to med school?

If you are trying to find admission statistics for engineering students to asses if you are at an advantage, you will not find any. Although i am inclined to believe that few engineers apply to med (when compared to bio majors) just because engineering is a lot more rigorous and difficult to maintain a high gpa and extracurricular activities (however many people have been able to accomplish this) . Also most engineers are basically guaranteed a high paying job straight out of university (the same can't be said for other majors) so there is probably less incentive to go into med.

On the other hand even though med schools may state they are not biased towards a person's major in undergrad, if you were to mention you have studied engineering at the interview and maintained a high gpa; I personally believe that the interviewer will be more impressed then someone how did a major in basket weaving even though they have comparable stats. Therefore you would be at some advantage.

^

|

At least I hope that part is true, cause I am in engineering as a fall back just in case med does not work out.....:eek:

If you are trying to find admission statistics for engineering students to asses if you are at an advantage' date=' you will not find any. Although i am inclined to believe that few engineers apply to med (when compared to bio majors) just because engineering is a lot more rigorous and difficult to maintain a high gpa and extracurricular activities (however many people have been able to accomplish this) . Also most engineers are basically guaranteed a high paying job straight out of university (the same can't be said for other majors) so there is probably less incentive to go into med.

On the other hand even though med schools may state they are not biased towards a person's major in undergrad, if you were to mention you have studied engineering at the interview and maintained a high gpa; I personally believe that the interviewer will be more impressed then someone how did a major in basket weaving even though they have comparable stats. Therefore you would be at some advantage.

^

|

At least I hope that part is true, cause I am in engineering as a fall back just in case med does not work out.....:eek:[/quote']

I'm doing engineering as well, but not as a fallback, I just realized that I really want to go into medicine rather than engineering. Do you already have a plan laid out as to how you're going to tackle med application? I'm a bit confused as to what my course of action would be since I didn't have any of the prerequisites. :/

How do you plan to satisfy the prereqs? Would a second degree be the the way to go? I would really appreciate any help on this matter, I'm losing sleep over this! 8/ Thanks!

Well I am in chemical engineering, so a lot of the prerequisites already come with my program. I will have to take biology 1 and 2 and bio chem separately though. I am doing a fifth year instead of the regular 4 years cause i plan on doing the aforementioned courses next year and delay graduating one year. It works out to a full course load every year cause i am only taking 5 course per semester (which is still full time) instead of the 6 or 7 suggested by the university. I don't know the policy at your university if you can do that though.....

That sounds like a good plan. Would that 5th year be a nondegree since it's not part of the chemical engineering curriculum? Unfortunately for me, I took industrial engineering so I only took general chemistry and some physics courses.

I'm thinking of taking a second degree to get the prereqs..

That sounds like a good plan. Would that 5th year be a nondegree since it's not part of the chemical engineering curriculum? Unfortunately for me, I took industrial engineering so I only took general chemistry and some physics courses.

I'm thinking of taking a second degree to get the prereqs..

That is a good option too!

I am still flirting with the idea of doing a duel biochem and chem eng degree (biotechnology), it is only a few more courses and fills my prereqs. It is an integrated program with the faculty of science at my school.

You can always just take the prereqs but have them not count towards your degree. For example, biology is not in my program but i can still take the course and get a grade in it. I will still count but not towards my degree.

Archived