Premed 101 Forums

this year's psych match

During the tour I had heard that numbers overall were down from the previous year, but this is SIGNIFICANTLY down. I was really surprised looking at the second iteration spots.

From my experiences at Mac, I know of a few classmates who had considered psych or even applied to both psych and another specialty (typically family med), but ultimately ended up not even ranking psych or ranking family programs first for various reasons.

It seems that things fluctuate from year to year. I really don't know what happened this year for psych! Hopefully programs will get some great residents in the second round who would still be happy with the specialty.

Echoing Beekeeper, I know that only a few of my classmates were considering psych this year and had a difficult time choosing which program to ultimately go into. Those were really debating between psychiatry and medicine, concerned for "losing their skills" as a psychiatrist. So far, we have just one classmate matching to psych.

10% of our class matched to Gen Surg. Each class seems to have a personality and a flavour. Our class preferred other specialties to psych.

Our Interest in Psychiatry group was usually well attended. We enjoyed our psych lectures. No major revelation other than clinical rotations that may have been less than satisfying.

Archived