Premed 101 Forums

declining an acceptance?

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

Hi,

I was one of the NBers accepted this year, but I just found out I got into my first choice school (not that MUN isn't awesome!). How do I turn down my acceptance from MUN so I can accept my other offer? Thanks

Guest clinicalchief

Call the admissions office and tell them you are declining the offer - they may need something in writing.

PS if you don't mind me asking, which school was your first choice? Congrats!

cc

Guest charmingbutterfly

I was just wondering why you choose U of T?

I could think of a million more pro's for MUN that UofT, but well that is based on my opinion!

Why was UofT more appealing for you?

Guest DancingDoc

Hi CharimingButterfly,

My major reason is that some of the things I would like to do observerships in are things that MUN does not have (ex: ENT/Head & Neck surgery). I really like the idea of subspecializing so Toronto offers better opportunities for me there. Another reason is that I would rather live in a big city. I've never done so, so I thought it would be a great experience.

Guest clinicalchief

Just as a side note for those of you who are wondering, there are opportunities to observe things like ENT here at MUN also. There are a good few first and second years who have had plenty of exposure to various surgical subspecialties. The difference is that MUN doesn't offer residencies in some of these things (including ENT). At the same time, not having residents in a certain discipline allows med students to get much more hands on experience.

cc

Guest DancingDoc

Hi Clinicalchief,

Let me reword, I wrote that one fast I didn't reread. It's not that MUN doesn't have those options, it's that Toronto offered more of those options. I had emailed MUN about doing observerships in ENT or Head and neck surgery and based on their response the opportunities at Toronto were better to me. So to anyone considering MUN: this is just a personal preference for me, MUN is a great school that probably offers more hands-on than any other med school because of its smaller class size (the part hardest to give up :) )

Archived