Premed 101 Forums

Reality Check?

Hey guys,

I've got a recent BSc in Biochem and have done research in the field. I've been premed for a while, but my gpa is not competitive enough (around a 3.5). Haven't applied yet, MCAT > 31, Q. I don't want a career in research or pharmaceuticals (if I needed to settle for a back-up). Med is still my number one priority. I understand the level of commitment required, but it is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I do not want to go overseas or do a DO in the states.

So obviously, I need to do some more courses towards upping my gpa. I plan on using some of the 2-year/cutoff rules at UoA, UoC and Queens. I will also be applying for Mac, UoM, and UBC (IP). Although I've toyed with the idea of doing a 2nd Bachelor's in something like Psych (online, etc.), I'm getting older and would like to establish a back-up career that I'd be content with if medicine were to never work out (highly likely). I don't want to "waste" any more time with a 5th year of non-degree coursework.

After months and months of careful deliberation, and exploration of the accountancy world, I have decided that I would be happy with a career in accounting.

That is why I'm thinking about doing Sauder's DAP program (Diploma of accounting program) through UBC (http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/dap).

Now I`d have to email each of the schools and ensure that they recognize these courses. Additionally, there is no guarantee that I would be hired by any firm to pursue a professional designation afterwards. But it is essentially undergraduate coursework that upon completion gives me a diploma, and some knowledge and credentials that I can eventually translate into a decent career (hopefully). I can stop it any time, and it is flexible enough that I can continue doing ECs and work part-time to support myself while continuing to apply to medical schools in Canada (and possible in the States).

What do you guys think? Medical schools often encourage doing something that would lead to a "fall-back" in the event medicine does not pan out. But would doing something completely unrelated (accounting) after such a long stint in science, show a lack of commitment to medicine in the eyes of adcom?

Entertaining all thoughts and comments!

Just one comment: Western also only looks at your best two years. And you mentionned U of C's 2 year rule/cutoff? U of C looks at ALL your grades. The 2 year thing is just for determining if your file even gets reviewed for an interview.

Dal also just looks at your last two years.

Hey guys,

I've got a recent BSc in Biochem and have done research in the field. I've been premed for a while, but my gpa is not competitive enough (around a 3.5). Haven't applied yet, MCAT > 31, Q. I don't want a career in research or pharmaceuticals (if I needed to settle for a back-up). Med is still my number one priority. I understand the level of commitment required, but it is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I do not want to go overseas or do a DO in the states.

So obviously, I need to do some more courses towards upping my gpa. I plan on using some of the 2-year/cutoff rules at UoA, UoC and Queens. I will also be applying for Mac, UoM, and UBC (IP). Although I've toyed with the idea of doing a 2nd Bachelor's in something like Psych (online, etc.), I'm getting older and would like to establish a back-up career that I'd be content with if medicine were to never work out (highly likely). I don't want to "waste" any more time with a 5th year of non-degree coursework.

After months and months of careful deliberation, and exploration of the accountancy world, I have decided that I would be happy with a career in accounting.

That is why I'm thinking about doing Sauder's DAP program (Diploma of accounting program) through UBC (http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/dap).

Now I`d have to email each of the schools and ensure that they recognize these courses. Additionally, there is no guarantee that I would be hired by any firm to pursue a professional designation afterwards. But it is essentially undergraduate coursework that upon completion gives me a diploma, and some knowledge and credentials that I can eventually translate into a decent career (hopefully). I can stop it any time, and it is flexible enough that I can continue doing ECs and work part-time to support myself while continuing to apply to medical schools in Canada (and possible in the States).

What do you guys think? Medical schools often encourage doing something that would lead to a "fall-back" in the event medicine does not pan out. But would doing something completely unrelated (accounting) after such a long stint in science, show a lack of commitment to medicine in the eyes of adcom?

Entertaining all thoughts and comments!

No problem at all, I believe, what your background is. People have come from all sorts of fields at a variety of different ages (for ex. law). I think what is important is to explain the career shift later from accounting to medicine.

PS: Mod, can you bump this to non-trad?

I don't think it would give you any disadvantage, as far as them thinking you have less interest in medicine, EXCEPT that it seems the US may look at it this way. Be aware.

BTW- my dad is a CGA, and it's a pretty good career. Don't ever plan on taking April off. I think my first word as a child was "tax season". :)

I agree with MickJoe. Work can be boring and co-workers have special personality for sure)))…. I’m a fairly new graduated CGA that wanted to be a fashion designer.))) Pay is OK for male & CFO (up to 130K); for female & Controller - up to 85K…. you can also run your business…

That program in UBC is 2 years; I thought you need 3 years for second degree… not sure… I’m just a stranger reading this forum…

The program looks not so hard; only probably BUSI 453 would be fan to do. Ask them about student GPA statistics; I could not find on they site.

If you need any info about the CGA designation, write me. I still have books and past exams and you can see how it’s going to be like.

Archived