Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview

Someone more skilled in stats, please make some useful points with this info

The percentage scores that one receives for their VR/GPA can likely change a lot from pre-interview formula to post-interview formula for any one individual.

The reason being that the "pre-interview formula" population is anyone who sent an application to Mac.

"post-interview formula" population is anyone who had an interview at Mac.

These are very different groups, as many(?) people indiscriminately apply to schools, with little chance of receiving an interview. MOST of these people do not receive an interview

Perhaps more people with low stats applied this year, in hopes of offsetting their lower stats with a great Casper performance

Someone, please see where I am going with this and do some impressive statistical analysis...

You're just in a more competitive pool in the post-interview stage. So your stats that may have been above average in pre-interview, could be below average in post-interview. I don't think you can really do any analysis without numbers. You can make broad assumptions like above though.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're just in a more competitive pool in the post-interview stage. So your stats that may have been above average in pre-interview, could be below average in post-interview. I don't think you can really do any analysis without numbers. You can make broad assumptions like above though.

I was referring to "assumptional analysis" ;) (aka floating ideas with no numbers or hard stats whatsoever lol). Yea, I was referring to what you just said, and was wondering if anyone had any further ideas without numbers.

HBP, you must have done an awesome job on CASPER. Logically then, you did awesome on the MMI, so you have nothing to worry about;)

Hey Lupe, i'm open to talking about the interview experience although i'm in the Ottawa area, not sure if you are too.

Yeah, honestly I'd love to. I think it will serve a therapeutic purpose for me. PM me if you have MSN or the like so we can chat there. I'm in London.

Also, it's good to see you're back on the forums Lupe, I've started listening to Food & Liquor again since seeing your name pop up.

lol. I come back when I have something to look forward to. Also, I need to buy the new album.

Someone more skilled in stats, please make some useful points with this info

The percentage scores that one receives for their VR/GPA can likely change a lot from pre-interview formula to post-interview formula for any one individual.

The reason being that the "pre-interview formula" population is anyone who sent an application to Mac.

"post-interview formula" population is anyone who had an interview at Mac.

These are very different groups, as many(?) people indiscriminately apply to schools, with little chance of receiving an interview. MOST of these people do not receive an interview

Perhaps more people with low stats applied this year, in hopes of offsetting their lower stats with a great Casper performance

Someone, please see where I am going with this and do some impressive statistical analysis...

I've been known to be able to do some rough statistical work as I did in the Toronto forum. I can take a look at the numbers and try and work some magic later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. I'll post whatever I think of here.

I wish there were some place in the mountains for premeds to retreat to until May 5th. We would spend mornings meditating on our MMI performances, statistical analysis of GPA vs VR after lunch, and group prayer for admission in the evenings. It's so hard to carry on with work with this stuff running through my head all the time.

DonGeo

I wish there were some place in the mountains for premeds to retreat to until May 5th. We would spend mornings meditating on our MMI performances, statistical analysis of GPA vs VR after lunch, and group prayer for admission in the evenings. It's so hard to carry on with work with this stuff running through my head all the time.

DonGeo

You're reading my mind. :)

I don't pretend to understand any of the above-written analysis, but if I should get in, I sincerely hope you are in my tutorial group.

Also, 3.67 and 13 - how "well" did I need to have done (FACES scale please)?

haha. Much appreciated.

Your z-sum is about 0.575, meaning that your overall score out of 30 is 25.945.

Your score is higher than the mean but is less than the top 36% of interviewees by 0.205 (not very much at all). You need to get 0.29 points higher than the average accepted applicant (i.e. top 36%) on the interview. You're solid.

So you just needed to be on par with the average accepted applicant or very slightly better.

Best of Luck!

PS: my GPA is just under the mean (3.7) and my VR is well under the mean (8)

I am encouraging myself with a focus on: re applying next year armed with more information about the process and re writing for a better VR score.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed!

Nikki,

Based on your stats, your z-sum is -2.74. This means that your score out of 30 is 22.63.

Your score is below the mean (as is mine) and below the top 36% of applicants by 3.52. Thus, you need to get 5 points higher than the average accepted applicant (i.e. top 36%) in the interview in order to be accepted. This is very doable and considering your vast experiences I'm sure you did MUCH BETTER than the bare minimum needed to get in.

I think the ONE BIG THING the analysis showed was that if you are a below average applicant, it is by no means the end of the world which is why McMaster uses z-scores. You just need to do slightly better in some of the stations than other people. Also realize that the top 36% is a sham and it is probably top 50% to be honest considering they over-accept initially and then all the people on the waitlist as well.

Talk to you soon.

I was coming on here to post the interviewee averages as well lol! I see that you beat me to it (and did a way better job).

Anyways, statistics isn't my forte. 3.75 and 10: how well did I need to do?

Hey,

Your z-sum is -0.92. This means that your score out of 30 is 24.45.

You are below the mean and you are below the top 36% of applicants by 1.7. This means that you need 2.4 points higher than the average accepted applicant to get accepted.

This is NOT very much of a difference by any means. You just need to be slightly better than the average accepted applicant in the interview.

Good Luck!

Well, I guess I'll join in....

3.88 and 12 VR

....please do me too?

Your z-sum is 1.54 meaning that your score out of 30 is 26.91.

This is higher than the mean and it is higher than the top 36% by 0.76. This means that you can score 1.1 points lower than the average accepted applicants on the interview and still get in!!!

Kudos. You still need to have done well on the interview but not necessarily as well as most other applicants who will get in.

The interview has a huge separation factor between candidates. It's just one score out of 10.

Therein lies the ambiguity. But the z-scores and what not give people a good idea about how they need to/ should have performed in comparison to their peers based on their pre-interview score. However, there is no real way to know how you did. All these stats truly show is your standing prior to the interview and how the interview is simply a VERY MASSIVE component that contributes to you getting in or not; and that a low GPA/ low Verbal will ABSOLUTELY NOT hold you back.

Nikki,

Based on your stats, your z-sum is -2.74. This means that your score out of 30 is 22.63.

Your score is below the mean (as is mine) and below the top 36% of applicants by 3.52. Thus, you need to get 5 points higher than the average accepted applicant (i.e. top 36%) in the interview in order to be accepted. This is very doable and considering your vast experiences I'm sure you did MUCH BETTER than the bare minimum needed to get in.

I think the ONE BIG THING the analysis showed was that if you are a below average applicant, it is by no means the end of the world which is why McMaster uses z-scores. You just need to do slightly better in some of the stations than other people. Also realize that the top 36% is a sham and it is probably top 50% to be honest considering they over-accept initially and then all the people on the waitlist as well.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks! I am in awe of your statistical prowess!

And, boy do I hope I did well on the interview...

Therein lies the ambiguity. But the z-scores and what not give people a good idea about how they need to/ should have performed in comparison to their peers based on their pre-interview score. However, there is no real way to know how you did. All these stats truly show is your standing prior to the interview and how the interview is simply a VERY MASSIVE component that contributes to you getting in or not; and that a low GPA/ low Verbal will ABSOLUTELY NOT hold you back.

I've heard interviews are z-scored as well?

Archived