Premed 101 Forums

U of T... does the campus really matter?

Guest CandyTruck

Guest CandyTruck

I applied to the "wrong" one, and when I tried to apply for the "right" one, I couldn't because the deadline is already gone and everything is closed. I'm almost done my second year, so I think it would be hard to transfer to the "right" one once I finish my second year.

Ahh, that's unfortunate :(. If you applied to UTSC under the pretense of UTSG's horror stories... isn't that not really an accident though?

There will always be a percentage of people who consider the three campuses differently (reputation is subjective). However, all three campuses are equal on paper and are reputable places to study. To answer your question, your transcript will not indicate which campus you attended at UofT. Your degree will simply be a degree from UofT. All three campuses offer a strong education and opportunities (as long as you go find them). They also all have their own characteristics. For instance, UTSG is larger (which has its pros and cons), UTSC has co-op, etc. You won't be at a disadvantage at any campus.

With regards to taking pre-med courses at UTSG as a UTSC student, I'm pretty sure UofT students are able to select courses from any UofT campus. However, there is a minimum amount you must complete at your home campus. If you do this, check with individual departments to ensure that what you are taking is equivilent. The courses can be quite different.

One final note.. if you are set on UTSG, you can apply to transfer through the internal transfer system after first year. I know a few people who did that... nothing is set in stone!

Good luck :)!

... I'm planning on taking the med pre-preqs at St. George....

that's kind of dumb. Commuting back and forth will destroy valuable time. Worse, your objective for taking those courses at UTSG will not be recognized by med schools. From what I've heard, UTSC has the advantage of more accessibility to profs since classes are so big downtown. I can't be sure since I've never attended a class at UTSG.

If you're really desperate, you can transfer after first year.

I accidentally applied to the "wrong" campus... I applied to U of T Scarborough, because I heard so many bad things about St. George, and I thought all three campuses are treated the same when it comes to reputation.

I decided to apply to St. George today but the deadline is already past. Now what? I know that the course codes will show which campus I attended, but would my transcript state that I graduated from Scarborough campus? I'm planning on taking the med pre-preqs at St. George. How would that look to med schools? Wouldn't I be at a disadvantage when compared to my peers who graduated from St. George campus?

*By the way, I am a university student now and I'm almost done my second year...

Change it, it's not too late. I remember being in april/may and changed my thing millions of times even though it was supposably WAY after the deadline lol and I still got my letters from them. Don't know how or why, but change it and try. You can drop an acceptance you know you dont want 100% and apply to a stgeorge one if theyre offering it, which most of them still do at this time. Thats what i did.

It makes like absolutely no difference at all. AT ALL. I applied to US schools who actually do care about reputation and they had no idea either. The only thing is yes UTSC doesn't churn out as many med students. People at UTSC are just less serious about it. But theres still a good 6 to 12 every year. Not including the people that go to international med schools. For the size of the student body I don't think thats a bad conversion rate.

UTSG people of course always look down on UTSC. Even the profs. Its unwarranted in most cases. But again, none of this matters for med apps!

I've met UTSG profs who have said that the kids at UTM and SC are dumber...and I have found that as well. Dumber people=easier to do well. I'd stick with UTSC personally.

In my experience that is true as well... but I think that's more to do with who chooses to go where. Most ambitious people choose to go to UTSG; I don't have stats for this, but generally this holds true among people I know!

The difficulty of courses is honestly the same at UTSC and UTSG, for life sciences at least, and the course averages are kept at the same level--c. 65%

also, if it interests you, UTSC has a fantastic psychology faculty and some clinically focused courses that are not offered at UTSG or many other undergraduate universities anywhere (clinical neurospychology, psychotherapy, clinical neuropsychopharmacology, etc)

I've met UTSG profs who have said that the kids at UTM and SC are dumber...and I have found that as well. Dumber people=easier to do well. I'd stick with UTSC personally.

Im not sure which people you have met, but im sure there are equally "dumb" people in every university. Its funny how UTSG say that, when they them selves come down to U.T.M to teach. Don't really understand how the even came up with that assumption.

In terms of Which maybe easier or better, personally coming from U.T.M i can tell you some pros and cons. Personally, being in a smaller university which offers smaller classes, to me is much better. You recieve the same quality education that U of T provides, but are able to interact and get to know your profs much more easily than St. George Campus. Another positive thing is that in smaller university, the student unions and clubs are great. For example, our student union is bringing in a 1.0 Drop credit where we can drop our lowest mark from our GPA. Not to mention we have a U-Pass which is an universal pass for free busing for Sept-April. They just brought in the summer version. These things are not offered at St.George. Its also easier to get a research position here at U.T.M. Furthermore, theres no limit at the smaller campus of getting a certain number of A's. I know from a T.A from both St.George and U.T.M, that they are not allowed to give a 90 which is an A+ because they believe no one is perfect. This does not exist at U.T.M and may not exist at the Scarbrough campus.

The negatives: Smaller choice of programs to choose from, Don't have that Downtown Toronto feeling, less things to do within the suburbs like Mississauga, and lack of food variety (which they are working on now). So in all, even though you may have "accidently" choosen to go to the scarbrough campus, you may end up liking it. You can also transfer after 4.0 credits into the st.george campus, if you don't like it.

I think its more fact than assumption...the admissions averages are lower, after all. I'd say UTM students are on par with Yorkies, and UTSG kids are a bit smarter. This is all on average obviously, and I recognize that there is individual variation. Yes, there are dumb students everywhere, but it seems that there are more of them at some schools/campuses.

Thats a pretty bold statement. Since you claim that this a fact, do you have any proof that the our admissions are lower? That UTM students are dumb? Any proof backing up your claim that UTM students are equalivant to Yorkies? Is there any Standard test results that states that UTSG kids are smarter than UTM students? I find that pretty ignorant of you to say such things like that.I myself have met some very smart people here at UTM. Im sure if i went to UTSG, i could many find "Dumb" students. UTM offers the same rigorous education which UTSG gives to their students, yet students at UTM still succeed in their classes. I think before you make such claims, you should really consider what you are saying. I believe every university produces people who will thrive to succeed, while others that just do minimum to get by. Its more on the individuals, rather than the university as a whole.

First of if you read it carefully, Psychology is under UTSG life science deparment. Psychology here at UTM is a department seperate from life science. Our Life science average requirement is the same for yours. The only reason why Psychology is lower is because its seperate from the life sci. Im sure if Psychology at UTSG was by it self, it too would have a lower average. Also are you implying that based on a lower psychology admission average that UTM people are dumber than UTSG students? You do know that admission average and the people actually in UTM do not neccessarily reflect each other? Also, our undergraduate psychology program is much more developed. We have many more courses and instructors than UTSG. Your claims are invaild. You really need to do more research before you make such claims. Im still waiting for a much more reliable measure from you indicating that UTM people are equal to Yorkies and therefore are stupider than UTSG students.

If you're on this forum I'm assuming you want to get into med school? Going to UofT (any campus) is probably one of the worst first steps you can make.

Come to McMaster - learn something useful in a non-cut-throat environment where the professors don't secretly (or not so secretly) hate you for wanting to be a doctor... But hey, if you're that type of person, perhaps you'll thrive there. A precious few have...

You know what? Psychology is the one that I applied for... it's a coincidence that you brought it up in previous threads. I applied for plain psych major, but I changed it to clinical psychology after reading your thread about their unique courses. I wouldn't have known about that program =P Thank you for your suggestion :)

Psychology is a wonderful program to apply for. You will enjoy it. I am doing a Psychology and Political science major. Your more than welcomed to PM if you have any questions regarding Registration or courses.

Do the degrees say which college you go to? I know it may not matter, but I recall my cousin's diploma saying "victoria college" on the bottom.

Not quite sure about that. I doubt it. Like U.T.M is known as Erindale college at the University of Toronto. Maybe your cussion was in a special program offered from that college and therefore became an alummi when he/she graduated?

If you're on this forum I'm assuming you want to get into med school? Going to UofT (any campus) is probably one of the worst first steps you can make.

Come to McMaster - learn something useful in a non-cut-throat environment where the professors don't secretly (or not so secretly) hate you for wanting to be a doctor... But hey, if you're that type of person, perhaps you'll thrive there. A precious few have...

No some will still hate you. And you have a very concentrated aggregation of premed gunners in a not-to-be-named faculty.

Archived