Premed 101 Forums

To go into Med through Undergad - Help Please

CF987

Hey, I did not get an invite for pre-med, was a bit surprised I did volunteer work in a third-world country and maintained a 35 CRC :S but since I can not go in from CEGEP, I do plan on going through the undergrad way.

But I am not sure what to take,

I got into Chemical engineering and biochemistry, as well as Acturial science in Concordia. Personally, as someone else on here I believe posted, I want to do chemical engineering because it would kind of give me a "career" afterwords, as opposed to biochemistry, but I do understand it's very hard to get a high GPA.

But I heard from somewehre that you need a bachelor's of science, is that true?? Like, is it possible to go into MED after chemical engineering or even Acturial science? My question really is, what do you need to do to apply to Medicine? Are there specific pre-requisites and can I obtain them through Chemical engineering or Acturial science?

Thanks

Hey, I did not get an invite for pre-med, was a bit surprised I did volunteer work in a third-world country and maintained a 35 CRC :S but since I can not go in from CEGEP, I do plan on going through the undergrad way.

But I am not sure what to take,

I got into Chemical engineering and biochemistry, as well as Acturial science in Concordia. Personally, as someone else on here I believe posted, I want to do chemical engineering because it would kind of give me a "career" afterwords, as opposed to biochemistry, but I do understand it's very hard to get a high GPA.

But I heard from somewehre that you need a bachelor's of science, is that true?? Like, is it possible to go into MED after chemical engineering or even Acturial science? My question really is, what do you need to do to apply to Medicine? Are there specific pre-requisites and can I obtain them through Chemical engineering or Acturial science?

Thanks

You already did all your pre-requisite courses in cepeg (except maybe organic II). You can get accepted into med from whatever undergrad you decide to do, even Arts.

Make sure you go into something you like, and make sure you can get good grades.

I know someone that got into med after completing a Bachelors of engineering in Electrical engineering, so its not impossible.

Good Luck

You already did all your pre-requisite courses in cepeg (except maybe organic II). You can get accepted into med from whatever undergrad you decide to do, even Arts.

Make sure you go into something you like, and make sure you can get good grades.

I know someone that got into med after completing a Bachelors of engineering in Electrical engineering, so its not impossible.

Good Luck

Ohh I didn't know that, and yes I am going to be completeing Organic II this semester as well. So you're saying that there are no additional pre-requisites for the Medicine program? Is it just to obtain a bachelor's degree or am I able to apply after the second year/third year, etc?

Thanks!

Ohh I didn't know that, and yes I am going to be completeing Organic II this semester as well. So you're saying that there are no additional pre-requisites for the Medicine program? Is it just to obtain a bachelor's degree or am I able to apply after the second year/third year, etc?

Thanks!

Organic Chem II is not a pre-requisite. CEGEP science courses do count as your pre-requisites.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/general-requirements/basic-science-prerequisites

hey CF, Im in the same boat as you, and like you I had the same questions. For mcgill you need to complete the three years, but there are some schools where you can apply after 2nd year (U of Alberta and something else)

hope that helps

• 4 weeks later...

Well... Actuaries are in extreme demand right now. I know in several of my business competitions, actuaries are a huge asset to our team. I'm surprised actuarial mathematics isn't in the JMSB department, it should be in my opinion. Not to mention, you are definitely guaranteed a high paying job (I'm not joking... potential for six-digit salaries after a year in the biz) and there's instant job security. But it's definitely not the easiest degree out there. The certification exam is extremely tough though. If you love math, probabilities and applying critical thinking to real world scenarios, go for it. I'm sure the adcoms would be impressed seeing a student that's not your typical applicant.

The question you should ask yourself: what would you prefer studying for 3 straight years and feel really comfortable in? I see these kinds of posts all the time and people forget that you'd have a funner time and rewarding undergrad experience for yourself; not solely choosing a major for the adcoms, believe it or not. I personally know some previous med-p students who have wanted to extend their university experiences feel they've missed out when hearing about their former classmates doing degrees in foreign countries, doing exchanges across the world and getting to enjoy your twenties really.

Anyways, best of luck.

Archived