Premed 101 Forums

CASPER curiousity

Hiya

I found the CASPER test the more interesting, enjoyable part of my application.

And I feel I must have done fairly well on it as I made it to the interview stage.

But, i'm wondering, how does MAC verify that it is in fact the applicant completing the test?

My thoughts:

-it is difficult to determine who might write this test well as before test date, there is no specific information about the content of the videos and questions; so there is no conceivable advantage to having someone sit in for you? (except maybe if they type faster)

-saw a video about CASPER online that referred to key strokes as a verification mechanism; but to date, I haven't been asked to verify my keystrokes in person.

Just wondering if anyone else has wondered about this

It's a really important part of the selection process leading to interview

There was a rumour that there was going to be a computer station in the MMI (it would replace one of the break stations), and the idea behind it was that it would get a log of your writing style, and verify that you were the person who completed your CASPer. Didn't come to fruition though, as we can all see now. Since it's CASPers first year I guess this is just something they still need to straighten out...

Hiya

I found the CASPER test the more interesting, enjoyable part of my application.

And I feel I must have done fairly well on it as I made it to the interview stage.

But, i'm wondering, how does MAC verify that it is in fact the applicant completing the test?

My thoughts:

-it is difficult to determine who might write this test well as before test date, there is no specific information about the content of the videos and questions; so there is no conceivable advantage to having someone sit in for you? (except maybe if they type faster)

-saw a video about CASPER online that referred to key strokes as a verification mechanism; but to date, I haven't been asked to verify my keystrokes in person.

Just wondering if anyone else has wondered about this

It's a really important part of the selection process leading to interview

You really can't...I've heard some people do CASPer in groups and briefly discuss answers...I'm not too sure how that would work though, given the small amount of time to write. Other people do have someone over their shoulder giving them pointers, reading what they've wrote, etc...

I still have faith in CASPer though. I think it's an interesting way to sift through applicants...

You really can't...I've heard some people do CASPer in groups and briefly discuss answers...I'm not too sure how that would work though, given the small amount of time to write. Other people do have someone over their shoulder giving them pointers, reading what they've wrote, etc...

I still have faith in CASPer though. I think it's an interesting way to sift through applicants...

I agree. I thought it was a super interesting exercise. When I was done I felt like discussing all the videos with friends, just to stimulate conversation.

I thought the MMI stations were interesting as well but I was more nervous than I was during CASPER.

I say it's getting better than the way the system is now: Write an essay/answer 5 questions, get a few MDs/Profs/Supervisors/Etc.. to read it over and put their spin on it to improve your chances. It's a better show of who the applicant is.

It has its flaws (e.g. slow typers are at a disadvantage, so are ESL students, as are those that are just having a bad day), but no method is going to be perfect.

I think the deciding factor in this case would be the interview. If you have a bunch of people working together on CASPer or a person knowledgeable in the correct (eg. medically professional) perspective doing the entire thing for you, you may get an interview, but may end up doing not so well on the interview itself.

The interview is just another opportunity, in-person this time, to consolidate your experiences, just like CASPer.

There was a rumour that there was going to be a computer station in the MMI (it would replace one of the break stations), and the idea behind it was that it would get a log of your writing style, and verify that you were the person who completed your CASPer. Didn't come to fruition though, as we can all see now. Since it's CASPers first year I guess this is just something they still need to straighten out...
Yeah. They said they would do a typing-verification, but that's not the case this year.

I say it's getting better than the way the system is now: Write an essay/answer 5 questions, get a few MDs/Profs/Supervisors/Etc.. to read it over and put their spin on it to improve your chances. It's a better show of who the applicant is.

It has its flaws (e.g. slow typers are at a disadvantage, so are ESL students, as are those that are just having a bad day), but no method is going to be perfect.

I think the deciding factor in this case would be the interview. If you have a bunch of people working together on CASPer or a person knowledgeable in the correct (eg. medically professional) perspective doing the entire thing for you, you may get an interview, but may end up doing not so well on the interview itself.

The interview is just another opportunity, in-person this time, to consolidate your experiences, just like CASPer.

+1

Though CASPer has it flaws, I think it's a interesting and fairly good way at helping to select potential interviewees.

There is an article available online that indicates the validity in CASPER, and from what the creators said there was some form of neuro-research done in Italy which the test is based off of. Basically, every individual has a specific typing pattern for certain letters that indicates the amount of time it takes to type one letter to the next. As previously mentioned, they are not using this method to verify answers until the upcoming application cycle.

I think it's less likely to happen than someone having another person write their answers to the questions. Also, I don't know, I think it would be hard with the severe time constraint to even have it be that much of an advantage...by the time the fast typer typed it out I'm not sure they'd get all of the thinker's ideas down. Basically I think it isn't foolproof but it's much, much less conducive to cheating than the original five question thing, especially if/when they do implement the typing signature check.

^ I agree. Also, not only is the act of cheating more difficult, but it is more blatant. It's easier on our consciences to ease ourselves over the 'cheating' line by having people edit your submissions to the point that it no longer reflects your writing. The cheating is much more obvious to have another person in the room with you as you write, and people are more likely to fully consider the moral implications and are less likely to actually want to cheat. That's my opinion at least.

With CASPer, I just wrote what came to my mind as fast as I could (after a 30 second think session) and I barely finished in 5 minutes. And I type pretty fast. Someone telling you what to write isn't feasible.

Totally agree.

Also, as a bit of a control freak, I can't imagine the scene that would occur if I got someone to write CASPer for me and I started to disagree with what they were typing as that big clock counted down...:P

With CASPer, I just wrote what came to my mind as fast as I could (after a 30 second think session) and I barely finished in 5 minutes. And I type pretty fast. Someone telling you what to write isn't feasible.
I agree. The time constraints of CASPer limit the amount of help you'll be able to get.

I agree. The time constraints of CASPer limit the amount of help you'll be able to get.

I agree as well. I'd add that it would be difficult for someone to select a "helper" for CASPER. The content of the CASPER questions/scenarios isn't known ahead of time, so figuring out who might have more knowledge, more ideas, more insight into a particular type of situation or into a particular scenario is close to impossible.

I agree as well. I'd add that it would be difficult for someone to select a "helper" for CASPER. The content of the CASPER questions/scenarios isn't known ahead of time, so figuring out who might have more knowledge, more ideas, more insight into a particular type of situation or into a particular scenario is close to impossible.
I don't think it would be that difficult. Curent med students (1st and 2nd years) would likely have solid answers for the ethical scenarios. The only thing is that a "helper" wouldn't be able to add in personal experiences as well as you would when you do CASPer alone.

I don't think it would be that difficult. Curent med students (1st and 2nd years) would likely have solid answers for the ethical scenarios. The only thing is that a "helper" wouldn't be able to add in personal experiences as well as you would when you do CASPer alone.

Good point. I think that someone experienced with CASPER could conceivably help with CASPER.

I think it would be feasible to have someone sitting there reading the questions, perhaps not to give you word for word answers, but giving you points to talk about. Having one person or a group of persons to discuss the answers with - definitely not beneficial because of time restraints. I'm not sure anyone would want to do the former though, unless you have an absolute beast on hand and you have 100% confidence in him/her. Current med students may not have better answers since questions may not be medically related at all.

I don't think it's worth risking having someone give you answers only at the end to feel like you could have done a better job on your own.

Archived