Premed 101 Forums

organic nomenclature

Guest ikaj

What is the difference between 4-aminohept-2-en-1-ol and 4-amino-2-en-1-heptanol?

The functional groups, amine and alcohol are both present, how do you decide if the parent chain should be an amine or an alcohol?

thnx

Guest geckoUBC

There is a ranking system to determine which group is the most "important", this group must be in the major chain you choose. I forget the rankings though - I would guess amino is more important than alcohol but i'm not sure.

Now quick, someone tell me that nomenclature is not something the MCAT cares much about.

Guest CTU24

I don't think I would be able to draw the molecules on the computer for you so instead I will ease your concerns by telling you that the MCAT WON'T test nomenclature like this.

In general, it tests understanding with only minimal memorization. As long as you know basic nomenclature you will be fine. I would spend more of my time understanding reaction mechanisms...that's what I did and I rarely got an organic question wrong on the MCAT (yes, I'm a geek).

Best of luck,

CTU24

Can anyone confirm that amines get higher priority than alcohols? The second structural name is wrong if the amine group has higher priority, correct?

In general, I know that the alcohol would get higher priority than the multiple bond and carbonyl groups are higher than the alcohol groups. That's all I know about ranking functional groups.

thnx

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

FYI, the odd organic chemistry nomenclature question can appear on the MCAT. On my test I had a discrete question that was all about orgo nomenclature and it was exactly of this type: knowing what functional group had priority. In the big picture of things it was only one question, but if you're looking for a 14 vs. a 13, it might make a peg of difference. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest skiboot

Oops, not sure what happened there,

Anyhow, CU24, you mentioned understanding the reaction mechanisms. Other than SN1 SN2 E1 E2, should time be spent on overall mechanisms for each of the reactions (curly arrows, etc), eg) pinnacle rearrangement, aldol addition, etc?

In the prep course that I took, I was told to know the reactions, rather than the mechanisms. Did you use the mechanisms just to help in memorization of the reactions?

skiboot

Guest CTU24

hey skiboot,

memorizing the rxns is also a good idea, but the MCAT usually asks several questions about mechanisms it may explain a mechanism as a passage, and understanding the mechanisms helps you answer the complicated questions that can deal with stability and reaarangements.

I don't think you need to memorize every curly arrow, but it is a good idea to be familiar with what is going on with some of the major rxns, like aldol addition. My prep course did focus a bit on mechanisms, so I find it puzzling that yours is telling you the opposite. In my case, I had just finisahed university organic chem, so it was fresh in my mind, but with a bit of work, comfort with the basics of mechanisms can make the difficult questions much easier to work through.

Best of luck,

CTU24

Guest skiboot

Good point CTU24,

I guess the more you understand about the mechanisms in a complicated set of questions, the faster you can answer them, rather than spending time trying to figure things out during the exam. I took orgo last summer, so I'll have to refresh my memory regarding some of the mechanisms.

Time is of the essence though. Thanks for the heads up!

skiboot

Guest MDmmmsure

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the priority is given to the groups that are the most electron withdrawing. So for instance, COOH would have highest priority, RCOR would be next, and so on. Therefore, I believe an alcohol takes priority over the amine. I also believe that the correct nomenclature you referred to is the first name.

ps-I could be completely wrong though... man it's been awhile

Archived