Premed 101 Forums

Has anyone tried Salvia? (completely legal in canada)

juice

If you have, what was the experience like?

Was it good/bad? Do you think it might be dangerous somehow?

Just any general/specific comments?

I'm just asking because I'm thinking about trying it. Not gonna lie, I'm actually kinda excited, haha.

i read if you vaporize it it would be most messed up high in your life, and i've read textbooks on pretty much everything there is, and this was the least enjoyable chapter. i read that if someone walked to your left you may believe the apocalypse would happen and you lose conceptualization that you're human, i also read that certain people may envision demons and what not... doesn't sound pleasant, especially for the price...

We studied it, briefly, during my toxicology rotatation at DPIC. Basically the impression I got was that it's so short-lasting with minimal "dangerous" adverse effects that they weren't particularly concerned about it.

There was special mention made of the sometimes dangerous "high" which could cause people to hallucinate and walk into traffic etc. if in a public area, or cause harm to themselves/others due to the hallucinations.

I think overall nobody cares about it because it's not something that'll be abused because it's not particularly enjoyable.

i read if you vaporize it it would be most messed up high in your life, and i've read textbooks on pretty much everything there is, and this was the least enjoyable chapter. i read that if someone walked to your left you may believe the apocalypse would happen and you lose conceptualization that you're human, i also read that certain people may envision demons and what not... doesn't sound pleasant, especially for the price...

lol wow that sounds crazy. I'm guessing this is a v. high dosage effect?

Not true, the Salvinorin A only vaporizes at temperatures much higher than current commercial vaporizers go, as far as I know.

I tried some 10x extract two years ago. Although it didn't hit me the way I thought it would I did experience closed eye visuals. I've heard of people becoming completely oblivious to whats going on and having some pretty serious trips, but you have to take a pretty decent dose of a high extract to do that. And just as in most other hallucinogens the trip completely depends on your state of mind. If you're in a good mood it will most likely be a pleasant dream like experience, if you're not then it could be the worst few minutes of your life.

I did as much research on PubMed as I could before trying it, as I had always wanted to try a hallucinogen but wasn't sure what would be the safest. I found no evidence that it could be harmful, aside from the basics of smoke inhalation (although, to be fair, there hasn't been extensive long term studies as far as I could find).

Should it be illegal? Not until it's proven to be a dangerous hallucinogen. I would say it would be much better to simply control the market. Make sure there are no sales to minors and make sure there are restrictions on the level of Salvinorin A in any given extract. And make sure the extracts are standardized so you can properly dose.

It's my opinion that making it illegal would push people who were curious (like I was) to harder hallucinogens. It would also cause us to see similar problems to what we see now with marijuana being illegal.

The nature of salvia will probably keep it from being a drug of abuse. It doesn't actually stimulate any addictions receptors and if you overdo it it'll probably scare the bejeebus out of you. Definitely not a party drug, so I doubt we will see an explosion of chronic use even if it does become more common.

To the OP, I'm assuming you're asking this because you're thinking of using it. I'd say go for it given a few things. First of all make sure you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into, do your research. Second of all be in a comfortable, calm, safe spot to help you have a good experience rather than a bad one. Third of all be sure to have a sitter. You'll probably be using a butane torch to get enough heat to release the Salvinorin A. If you accidentally dose to high you might drop your hot pipe and burn stuff, which wouldn't be all that great.

i don't really think we were reading the same textbook... im an hardcore libertarian, i think we should legalize pot, mdma, amphetamines, lsd, dmt, magic mushrooms, peyote. there's only a few drugs i think really harm society and my view is they should be decriminalized and a harm reduction approach be taken with them (cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine), actually if i was dictator for a day i would ban booze, i don't know how people can stomach getting drunk every weekend.

Not true, the Salvinorin A only vaporizes at temperatures much higher than current commercial vaporizers go, as far as I know.

I tried some 10x extract two years ago. Although it didn't hit me the way I thought it would I did experience closed eye visuals. I've heard of people becoming completely oblivious to whats going on and having some pretty serious trips, but you have to take a pretty decent dose of a high extract to do that. And just as in most other hallucinogens the trip completely depends on your state of mind. If you're in a good mood it will most likely be a pleasant dream like experience, if you're not then it could be the worst few minutes of your life.

I did as much research on PubMed as I could before trying it, as I had always wanted to try a hallucinogen but wasn't sure what would be the safest. I found no evidence that it could be harmful, aside from the basics of smoke inhalation (although, to be fair, there hasn't been extensive long term studies as far as I could find).

Should it be illegal? Not until it's proven to be a dangerous hallucinogen. I would say it would be much better to simply control the market. Make sure there are no sales to minors and make sure there are restrictions on the level of Salvinorin A in any given extract. And make sure the extracts are standardized so you can properly dose.

It's my opinion that making it illegal would push people who were curious (like I was) to harder hallucinogens. It would also cause us to see similar problems to what we see now with marijuana being illegal.

The nature of salvia will probably keep it from being a drug of abuse. It doesn't actually stimulate any addictions receptors and if you overdo it it'll probably scare the bejeebus out of you. Definitely not a party drug, so I doubt we will see an explosion of chronic use even if it does become more common.

To the OP, I'm assuming you're asking this because you're thinking of using it. I'd say go for it given a few things. First of all make sure you have an idea of what you're getting yourself into, do your research. Second of all be in a comfortable, calm, safe spot to help you have a good experience rather than a bad one. Third of all be sure to have a sitter. You'll probably be using a butane torch to get enough heat to release the Salvinorin A. If you accidentally dose to high you might drop your hot pipe and burn stuff, which wouldn't be all that great.

hehe, drug prohibition is hilarious, don't like mdma or ketamine because they're illegal, go down to the states and do some mephedrone and other mdma analogs... they're legal so long as they're not sold for "human consumption" (although they're legal to consume, it's like the california law that allows medical marijuana, but the federal one that bans it, lol) so they sell them as bath salts, that with 500 mg - 800 mg of dxm would be your legal alternative to e and k.

I think his point was coming from what was announced in 2010 ;)http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2010/10/19/salvia-banned.html or maybe from a month ago: http://cupwire.hotink.net/articles/42839

C

i don't really think we were reading the same textbook.. :rolleyes: .

Haha fairplay. I have to agree that prohibition really doesn't make sense. If you want any drug it's out there, either through illegal methods or legal (sounds like some calming or invigorating bath salts!). Making it legal would simply provide people with a legal, safer alternative. I highly doubt chronic use would increase if we implemented it with proper regulation (no advertising, no sale to minors, etc.)

Hey, I never said anything about being against or for prohibition... I was just stating that a comment made, was maybe not that unbelievably uninformed.

Anyways, we all know that, often, the more something is off-limits, the more appealing it gets ;)

C

Edit: lol! @bigfootspartan, never took it as you were coming at me...just had a point to add

hehe, drug prohibition is hilarious.

I have to agree that prohibition really doesn't make sense. Making it legal would simply provide people with a legal, safer alternative. I highly doubt chronic use would increase if we implemented it with proper regulation (no advertising, no sale to minors, etc.)

me and my bud went to a dance festival in amsterdam with this guy we randomly met and he swore to god he'd never used drugs in his life, but thought it was cool if other people did... so maybe the opposite is true as well, after all, all the stoned people i saw in amsterdam were foreigners, none of them were dutch, lol...

here's a hilarious clip about amsterdam police :)

Hey, I never said anything about being against or for prohibition... I was just stating that a comment made, was maybe not that unbelievably uninformed.

Anyways, we all know that, often, the more something is off-limits, the more appealing it gets ;)

C

I know they haven't found anything significantly harmful about salvia use. However, it's possible they'll find out this stuff in the future through research.

I find it remarkable such a seemingly strong substance hasn't been found to be capable of causing harm if taken over a certain extents (I'm talkin the 100x and more people claim to be taking).

Anyway, outlawing and abusing is a whole other issue. Neither weed nor salvia should be outlawed or made illegal in any way. That's absolute bullsh*t.

Archived