Premed 101 Forums

School Rivalries

legitpro

I talked about this quite a bit, probably cause I am so confused on what to do. I just dont understand what is there such a need for school rivalries.

I go to a small university and I may transfer to go into a bigger one, however when I am asking people questions of where I go to university they look down on it.

I asked some people if they could tell me about their program and when they here which school I go to they make comments like "you should just stay there" "it is so much harder at UWO"

________

If undergrad will be like this at a bigger university I don't know if I should go, having people look down on my previous education when I will be clearly in the same school as them taking the same courses.

I talked about this quite a bit, probably cause I am so confused on what to do. I just dont understand what is there such a need for school rivalries.

I go to a small university and I may transfer to go into a bigger one, however when I am asking people questions of where I go to university they look down on it.

I asked some people if they could tell me about their program and when they here which school I go to they make comments like "you should just stay there" "it is so much harder at UWO"

________

If undergrad will be like this at a bigger university I don't know if I should go, having people look down on my previous education when I will be clearly in the same school as them taking the same courses.

I'm not too sure what you are concerned about (I haven't been on forums lately) but I do know that you shouldn't care about what other people think. We are strangers on the internet - sometimes we are helpful, sometimes we are not. Same with people in real life. Have your own internal drive about whether or not you should go to a larger university. Do not make solely it about other people's opinion.

That being said, let me offer some personal perspective. One is that larger schools have more people, and sometimes that means a lot more highly intelligent, motivated individuals in the same classroom. This makes for greater competition, and sometimes it drives the level of the coursework up. This may be due to a elimination factor (weeding out) or simply because we can't have everyone getting A+s because we need to fit grades into a gaussian distribution. I don't necessarily agree with this practice, but hey, that's life.

At smaller universities you can be much more personal, and maybe it's easier to get high grades in certain courses. I've noticed this from my friends who study at Ryerson and those who are at U of T, both who are in science. Yes, you don't have reputation like U of T but if you're interested in medicine WHO CARES. GPA is king and your primary concerns. DO NOT give up your high grades. Mac is a small university and I find it easier to associate with faculty and we have a pretty good reputation.

When people ask you which university you're from, be proud of it. If they look down, tell them to **** off. No one, including medical schools, really care where you did your undergrad. Now if you are switching because you want more opportunities, be wary of GPA. That may be why people are asking you to stay at the university you're currently at, because it there is a difference in the ability to get grades. But at the end of the day, it largely depends on you.

Work hard, know your strengths and weaknesses, and be proud of who you are :). If you want to transfer, transfer because YOU want to study at a larger institution not because of prestige. In the end, a degree is a degree.. it doesn't matter where you studied in Canada. The individual is much more important.

Archived