Premed 101 Forums

GPA conversion if transferring universities

Hi everyone,

Sorry for opening so many threads lately, but I just realized I have no idea how the GPA conversion would work if I transferred universities. Here's my situation:

Currently I'm in third year biology at Queens. I have to transfer to York for my last year (due to family issues beyond my control), but I have two options: either go as a visiting student and still get my Queen's degree, or transfer and become a "york" student (and graduate with a York degree). my question is:

If I go as a visiting student, the courses i take at york -would they follow Queen's GPA conversion scale or York's? I would think they'd follow Queen's since they'd get transferred back to Queen's. Vice versa if I actually do transfer to York - would my Queen's credits for the last 3 years follow York's GPA system?

Also, can med school admissions see where your percentile rank, ie, say you got a 75% in a course that had a 55% average, or that you got 95% in a course that had an 85% average (and was obviously a bird course)??

Thanks guys!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for opening so many threads lately, but I just realized I have no idea how the GPA conversion would work if I transferred universities. Here's my situation:

Currently I'm in third year biology at Queens. I have to transfer to York for my last year (due to family issues beyond my control), but I have two options: either go as a visiting student and still get my Queen's degree, or transfer and become a "york" student (and graduate with a York degree). my question is:

If I go as a visiting student, the courses i take at york -would they follow Queen's GPA conversion scale or York's? I would think they'd follow Queen's since they'd get transferred back to Queen's. Vice versa if I actually do transfer to York - would my Queen's credits for the last 3 years follow York's GPA system?

Also, can med school admissions see where your percentile rank, ie, say you got a 75% in a course that had a 55% average, or that you got 95% in a course that had an 85% average (and was obviously a bird course)??

Thanks guys!

When I took courses via "letter of permission" as an undergrad, I received a transcript at both universities. For example, one summer I went home, and took advanced calculus at the university in my hometown (in the evenings) while working during the day. I received an "A+" on the transcript at the university where I was taking the course (since they used letter grades). Since I had taken it via letter of permission, it showed up as a course on my home university transcript, as a "95" (since my home university used numerical grades), and since they equated an A+ to anything between 90 and 100, so obviously they took the average and considered it a 95.

For transfer credits, usually they just show up as "credit" or something similar, on your transcript. You don't actually get a grade for them. What you do is you end up submitting both transcripts to medical schools (or any other program you would apply to). So if you transfer to York, you would then submit both your York transcript and your Queen's transcript to the medical schools.

For percentile ranks, I have found it depends on the university. At my home university during my undergraduate degree, they did not include class ranks or averages on the transcript. However, at the university where I have been doing my graduate degree, they include the class average on the transcript, so it is easy to see where you ranked.

If you can finish your degree as a visiting student, that might be the best way to go. If you transfer to York, getting transfer credit that would be exactly equivalent to everything you did at Queen's might be tricky. There may end up being some lower level courses you would need to graduate, and it might end up taking you longer than a year. It might be easier to get permission to take the courses you need to graduate through letter of permission as a visiting student, thus remaining as a Queen's student and graduating from Queen's. However, I don't have experience with either York or Queen's, so I don't know which would actually work out better. Based on my own experiences, though, taking courses via letter of permission or visiting student is usually easier than trying to get transfer credit.

Good luck with whatever you do!

When I took courses via "letter of permission" as an undergrad, I received a transcript at both universities. For example, one summer I went home, and took advanced calculus at the university in my hometown (in the evenings) while working during the day. I received an "A+" on the transcript at the university where I was taking the course (since they used letter grades). Since I had taken it via letter of permission, it showed up as a course on my home university transcript, as a "95" (since my home university used numerical grades), and since they equated an A+ to anything between 90 and 100, so obviously they took the average and considered it a 95.

For transfer credits, usually they just show up as "credit" or something similar, on your transcript. You don't actually get a grade for them. What you do is you end up submitting both transcripts to medical schools (or any other program you would apply to). So if you transfer to York, you would then submit both your York transcript and your Queen's transcript to the medical schools.

For percentile ranks, I have found it depends on the university. At my home university during my undergraduate degree, they did not include class ranks or averages on the transcript. However, at the university where I have been doing my graduate degree, they include the class average on the transcript, so it is easy to see where you ranked.

If you can finish your degree as a visiting student, that might be the best way to go. If you transfer to York, getting transfer credit that would be exactly equivalent to everything you did at Queen's might be tricky. There may end up being some lower level courses you would need to graduate, and it might end up taking you longer than a year. It might be easier to get permission to take the courses you need to graduate through letter of permission as a visiting student, thus remaining as a Queen's student and graduating from Queen's. However, I don't have experience with either York or Queen's, so I don't know which would actually work out better. Based on my own experiences, though, taking courses via letter of permission or visiting student is usually easier than trying to get transfer credit.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Thanks! It's actually not hard to transfer, and I've spoken to York and they've told me it would only take me one more year to graduate with a York degree. But I'm still confused about my original question - would my cGPA use the York's OMSAS conversion or Queen's? (the main difference being that at Queen's, an 80-84 is a 3.7, 85-89 is 3.9, and 90+ is 4.0, whereas for York an 80-89 is 3.8, 90-94 is 3.9, and 95+ is 4.0.):confused:

hmmm, I wonder if York includes percentile ranks on their transcripts? any york student care to answer please?

Thanks! It's actually not hard to transfer, and I've spoken to York and they've told me it would only take me one more year to graduate with a York degree. But I'm still confused about my original question - would my cGPA use the York's OMSAS conversion or Queen's? (the main difference being that at Queen's, an 80-84 is a 3.7, 85-89 is 3.9, and 90+ is 4.0, whereas for York an 80-89 is 3.8, 90-94 is 3.9, and 95+ is 4.0.):confused:

hmmm, I wonder if York includes percentile ranks on their transcripts? any york student care to answer please?

The courses you took at Queen's would use the Queen's GPA conversion (since you would have to submit your Queen's transcript) and the courses you took at York would use the York GPA conversion (since you would have to submit your York transcript). So the answer is: they would use both.

Your cGPA isn't just your overall GPA converted to a given value by OMSAS. Each of your courses actually has its GPA determined using the conversion chart, and then those are all added up to get your cGPA.

The courses you took at Queen's would use the Queen's GPA conversion (since you would have to submit your Queen's transcript) and the courses you took at York would use the York GPA conversion (since you would have to submit your York transcript). So the answer is: they would use both.

Your cGPA isn't just your overall GPA converted to a given value by OMSAS. Each of your courses actually has its GPA determined using the conversion chart, and then those are all added up to get your cGPA.

Ok thanks for the info! Are you 100% sure about this? And so they'd use Queen's GPA conversion for my Queen's courses, regardless of whether I transfer to York or just go as a visiting student??

Thank you all for answering :)

Ok thanks for the info! Are you 100% sure about this? And so they'd use Queen's GPA conversion for my Queen's courses, regardless of whether I transfer to York or just go as a visiting student??

Thank you all for answering :)

Yes, 100% sure. That's one of the reasons you need to send in ALL transcripts, even if you take a course via letter of permission or as a visiting student and especially when you transfer, because the transfer credits will only show up as a credit, not as an actual grade on the transcript of the uni you transfer to.

Archived