Premed 101 Forums

telling others your career path

do you tell other people that you want to become a doctor?

-family

-friends

-classmates

-professors/TAs

I have often been asked what am I planning on doing with a Bsc, and I don't feel like sharing my plans with someone who I barley know.

-I usually just say "I am not sure yet

-I did ask my older brother what should I say and he told me to say "hang my degree on a wall and stare at it"

What are your thoughts on telling others that you want to be a physician?

Most of my once good friends have become rabid pre-meds. They keep asking about medical school, medical school, medical school, and they're really only comfortable with you once you tell them that you're not gunning for med.

I would say that I'm comfortable telling the people who this information matters to, such as supervisors or professors. For others, I wouldn't be so open about it. There's a lot of animosity during this stage and I hope to god it gets better if I ever get in.

If asked, I'm very open about it. I know a LOT of people who lie and fake it. A bunch of people I know all lied that they didn't get interviews to various med and dental schools but they ended up seeing each other at the interviews and then told everyone else, so everyone ended up exposed :rolleyes:

I just can't be bothered "hiding" it and I know which people to stay away from.

IMO, it depends on the person.

Family: Depends. For me, yes I did, I’m lucky to have very supportive parents and relatives who have been supportive of my dreams.

Boyfriend: For me, YES. He is my strength when times have gotten bad.

Friends: yes, I have some really great friends. Although, I did tell some of my friends who stopped talking to me shortly after. Turns out they weren’t my real friends from the start if they stopped talking to me over expressing my dreams to them.

Undergraduate Classmates: yes, but in general I wish I hadn’t been so candid about it (unless they were really close classmates who would keep this info private and/or were possible MCAT study buddies, or MMI practice buddies). For exactly the reason mac has said, there are some premeds that are way too competitive. It can lead to some pretty nasty stuff if the wrong person finds out. Not all premeds are this way, but some can be really bad.

Professors: in general, yes, they’ve been great and can be a great reference in the long run. However, be careful of any advice they give you about med school admissions. Although a lot of professors are very nice, well meaning people they should never supplement your own research into admissions. Be wary of any advice they give, research admissions questions on your own.

TAs: no. There really is no point.

Coworkers: Really depends on the work environment. If you are working somewhere like Tim Hortons, NO do not do this. They can get jealous, things can turn bad really quickly. But, obviously if you are doing research for a physician of course you'd want them to know about your dreams. They can be great mentors.

Volunteer Supervisors: Eventually, if you are to ask them for a LOR of they will find out. But I think it is up to you when you feel comfortable enough to tell them about your ambitions of becoming a physician.

So, there's my two cents. Hope it helps :)

do you tell other people that you want to become a doctor?

-family

-friends

-classmates

-professors/TAs

I have often been asked what am I planning on doing with a Bsc, and I don't feel like sharing my plans with someone who I barley know.

-I usually just say "I am not sure yet

-I did ask my older brother what should I say and he told me to say "hang my degree on a wall and stare at it"

What are your thoughts on telling others that you want to be a physician?

lol I never tell unless it is close friends because then they'll just eventually know.. I'm passionate about it and I may or may not talk about it all the time.......

but yeah, to strangers or acquaintances.. I say I'm looking into being a chiropractor lol. Explains my OCDness when it comes to achieving good grades :P

lol but you don't need that high marks to apply to become a chiropractor, or at least thats what I've been informed of

eh it's pretty competitve now so you need pretty decent grades.. and I just want to make sure I am a shoe in at chiropractic school okay! lol :)

I'm always pretty frank about it. Yet, I don't really feel that others treat me differently because of my career ambition.

I agree. I don't see why I would have to lie or be covert in any way about what I want to do. I don't go parading with a printed t-shirt that says "wannabe doctor" but if I'm asked about it, then I tell the truth.

Rule #1 Keep things to yourself.

And if you dont, then dont be mad at people when they decide to judge you.

Couldn't agree more. I have learned not to say anything about my career. Call me stupid for being superstitious, but i believe that people will eventually hope for you to fall if they know that you are passionate about your dreams(especially some premeds students i have met). Yeah it is stupid, but can't help think that way, so i just keep it to my self now.

Couldn't agree more. I have learned not to say anything about my career. Call me stupid for being superstitious, but i believe that people will eventually hope for you to fall if they know that you are passionate about your dreams(especially some premeds students i have met). Yeah it is stupid, but can't help think that way, so i just keep it to my self now.

Exactly! Advisors especially are the worst lol. Maybe I just had bad experiences, but it seems like when ever you tell someone you wanna be a physician they want you to explain yourself and e.t.c, which I guess is fine, but its a personal decision which I dont wish to share with just anyone.

I've always wondered something.

Do rabid pre-meds (i.e. the ones who go crazy about anything medical school related, the ones who backstab and do everything 220%) stand a much better chance than any of us? After all, they do meet the requirements of having high marks, good MCAT, and good ECs...I wonder sometimes who really gets in and who doesn't. Can adcom really filter out these individuals, or maybe their competitiveness and douche-baggery is a secret requirement for med?

Do rabid pre-meds (i.e. the ones who go crazy about anything medical school related, the ones who backstab and do everything 220%) stand a much better chance than any of us? After all, they do meet the requirements of having high marks, good MCAT, and good ECs...I wonder sometimes who really gets in and who doesn't. Can adcom really filter out these individuals, or maybe their competitiveness and douche-baggery is a secret requirement for med?

Being competitive gives you an edge. As for the "douche-baggery", I'm sure a lot get stopped at the interview stage. That said, there's no shortage of arrogant doctors.

Those people stand a slightly better chance but usually their need to do all that is an act of desperation because they know their app sucks. Sometimes though its just because they are THAT keen (those people get in), but thats not as common. So just cause a premed does that doesn't mean they're likely to get in.

Adcoms can't filter out every douche bag. Theres always a significant number of douche bags that make it in. Usually where the douches run into problem is in residency matching imo.

Being competitive gives you an edge. As for the "douche-baggery", I'm sure a lot get stopped at the interview stage. That said, there's no shortage of arrogant doctors.

I agree. I don't think competitiveness is necessarily a bad attribute for med hopefuls. I think if being competitive drives you, then that is beneficial.

Note: When I saw competitive, I mean people who just want to be better by bettering themselves, not by screwing over people around them.

I just can't be bothered "hiding" it and I know which people to stay away from.

I generally never told unless asked. Even then I don't make a huge deal about it.
+1 to these.

If someone asks me, then I'll tell them. I don't consider it to be a secret. But it's not information that I'll tell people without being asked.

Archived