Premed 101 Forums

The Baking Thread

Erk

BAKING IS AWESOME

BAKING IS SCIENCE FOR HUNGRY PEOPLE

BAKING MAKES YOU FAT AND HAPPY LIKE ME

LET'S TALK ABOUT BAKING.

Here's what I just baked. It's an old traditional recipe from Pakistan, where I am from.

Cream together:

1 cup softened butter/margarine*, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla.

Beat in one at a time:

2 eggs

In a separate bowl, mix:

2 cups white flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp cinnamon

Combine wet and dry and mix thoroughly. Mix in:

1 cup big delicious juicy raisins (not crappy little dry ones, not in my household bub).

3 cups quick oats

Mix thoroughly again. Chill in fridge for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit, if you still use that antiquated temperature measurement. Like me.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet and spoon 1 rounded teaspoon of cookie dough out, spacing cookies ~3cm apart. Flatten cookies with a fork coated in white sugar. Bake for 10 minutes.

Eat immediately out of the oven as soon as they don't burn your hands. Or let them cool if you are a wusspants (and/or cannot eat 24 cookies at once).

ARE YOU MAKING COOKIES NOW? WHAT WHY NOT? IT HAD BETTER BE BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE SOME THAT YOU BAKED.

*Not pork fat!

PS WHAT DID YOU BAKE?

I don't bake, because the majority of items that are baked are unhealthy.

Baking is good for the soul.

Baking makes you stronger through application of butter.

Baking is what separates Man from the Apes.

Broiling is a different story though.

Okay I'll give you that.

This thread made me smile - I'm quite the avid baker myself.

Actually, a cheesecake just came out of the oven. I won't be able to eat it until tomorrow morning though - gotta let it chill in the fridge for a few hours! It'll be my breakfast.

i wish i knew how to make creme brulee! and i would bake and eat creme brulee all day and get fat and it would be worth it.

Eugenius, all you have to do is ask. I've worked at a bakery nearly all my life :) I think that's why I'm happy so much of the time... And if anyone wants a recipe, let me know. I've got a batch (hehe) of excellent recipes at home.

Cerena's Creme Brulee

Ingredients:

* 4 cups heavy whipping cream

* 9 egg yolks

* 3/4 cup sugar

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* Brown sugar

Directions:

In a large saucepan, combine the cream, egg yolks and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do not allow to boil. This will ruin the brulee. Stir in vanilla.

Transfer to ramekins or custard cups. Place cups in a baking pan. To create a water bath, add 1 inch of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until centers are just set. Don't worry if it is not completely set. The brulee should jiggle. Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

One hour before serving, place custards on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar. Torch the top of the brulee. The more sugar you add, the harder the coating. If you don't have a torch already, invest in one. To create the perfect creme brulee, there must be an amazing sensation produced from the difference in temperature and texture. The top of the brulee is hard and warm while the bottom is smooth and cold.

I highly suggest the readers of this thread to try out this recipe. This is not something you should eat every day, but life would be so boring without an indulgence every so often :)

Eugenius, all you have to do is ask. I've worked at a bakery nearly all my life :) I think that's why I'm happy so much of the time... And if anyone wants a recipe, let me know. I've got a batch (hehe) of excellent recipes at home.

I highly suggest the readers of this thread to try out this recipe. This is not something you should eat every day, but life would be so boring without an indulgence every so often :)

Hehe, Cerena, if I weren't already married....

What a yummy thread! I love baking too. My hubby does all the cooking (he loves it) and I do all the baking - we complement each other perfectly:))

I made Power cookies (my modified version) over the weekend. They are great for snacking and are not two sweet or fattening. High in fibre and protein.

Dry ingredients:

4 cups ground oats, 1 cup whole oats

1 cup ground flax seed

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (you can add other yummy stuff)

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

"Liquid" ingredients:

in a food processor:

1 can red kidney beans, drained and mashed

2-3 ripe bananas

1 1/2 vanilla extract

1 egg

1/4 cup of milk

Depending on how much more dry ingredients you add, you might wanna add more milk and one more egg/ more bananas to the mixture so its more moist.

Use cookie dough/ ice cream scoop - bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes depending on the size. Enjoy!

Let me know if you modify them - I will be happy to try your recipe:)

Try a bit of the mashed stuff once you added all the ingredients - it is so delicious!!! Doesn't even remotely taste like beans.

Oh, an important note: if you decide to add more dry ingredients (dates, chocolate chips etc...honestly no boundaries here) - aside from adding more liquid, you might wanna add more sugar and vanilla too.

Just keep tasting - this recipe has many possibilities!!! I am glad you guys find it interesting (and healthy, but that's the second thing).

The more I think about it the more it makes sense. I love sweet bean in Japanese confectionary, and it doesn't taste particularly beany in a lot of its uses.

Astrogirl: homemade pretzels rock soooo hard!! I haven't made them in years!!!! Thank you for reminding me!!!!!!!! Geometrically increasing exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha wow thanks cerena, it sounds delicious! omnomnomnom. i saved the recipe and i will definitely try it out sometime. looks i need to buy a torch ;)

I think you can get them at Canadian Tire? In the baking section?

I got mine at Princess Auto... muahaha shifty.

I got mine from Canadian Tire in the auto section. Quite a bit cheaper than the "baking torch" even though they're the same thing.

I believe a baking torch is around $40+ for a good one.

But the one I have from Princess auto was $14.

Archived