Premed 101 Forums

Living on your own

thehockeykid

does living alone (i.e. no roommate) get lonely? I think I'd need to have a roommate just to have somebody around.

I think it depends on the roommate. I have a roommate and I always rejoice a little when he goes away for the weekend and I have the place to myself, but I'm always glad when he gets back (I'm a bit terrified of sleeping in my place alone :S) I've had a couple bad roommates, so choose wisely. I've done the living with your best friends thing and towards the end we barely spoke, though things are better now that we don't live together.

If you do move out and get a roommate, make sure expectations about things like chores, noise level, what constitutes a clean dish (mine keep leaving dried on food on the dishes... gross!!), cleanliness level in general, sharing condiments and household expenses are clear before you move in together. It'll make things much smoother.

I think it depends on the roommate. I have a roommate and I always rejoice a little when he goes away for the weekend and I have the place to myself, but I'm always glad when he gets back (I'm a bit terrified of sleeping in my place alone :S) I've had a couple bad roommates, so choose wisely. I've done the living with your best friends thing and towards the end we barely spoke, though things are better now that we don't live together.

If you do move out and get a roommate, make sure expectations about things like chores, noise level, what constitutes a clean dish (mine keep leaving dried on food on the dishes... gross!!), cleanliness level in general, sharing condiments and household expenses are clear before you move in together. It'll make things much smoother.

You mean, sign a roommate agreement? :P

does living alone (i.e. no roommate) get lonely? I think I'd need to have a roommate just to have somebody around.
Depends on how much time you spent in your home. If you don't socialize with other people during the day, then yeah, it can get lonely. But after spending the entire day talking to people at school/work/etc, it's nice to come home to someplace quiet, imo.

Archived