Premed 101 Forums

Living on your own

thehockeykid

You should check out this thread: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49554

To answer your questions: what is it like living on your own? It's the best thing ever :)

What kind of food I make? Does cereal count? lol! I'm not the best cook :o, so I order/ pick-up sushi, thai or whatever a lot.

What my apartment looks like? Right now, a total mess :D and nobody has to see it but me! I have a great apartment, close to everything and a starbucks across the street! What more could I ask for!

C

well, I've been living on my own for a little over a decade now, but the odd times I have had to stay with my parents (eg. when I got back from Japan and was looking for a new place to live) have been pretty horrendous, reminding me just how nice this is.

Living on your own is good. It teaches you to be your own person and to do your own things, and it helps you learn to motivate yourself. It's an important life stage in our culture.

As for what kind of food I make, when I was new to this I used the internet for resources to learn to cook inexpensive things. It's way better now than it used to be Back In My Day, so you should find this easy. Cooking can be somewhat hard at first, especially if you don't follow directions, but once you get the hang of it it's one of the most rewarding skills you can master.

When I first moved out my house looked like a smallish 1-bedroom apartment. Now it looks like... a house? Ooh and in my first place I had a lot of makeshift furniture made of cardboard boxes filled with books, stacked with spare lumber from my construction job to make shelves and tables and things. Aah, nostalgia.

Right now I live with 3 housemates, 2 of whom I knew before moving in with and 1 who I didn't know. I would say this isn't the best. If you want to split of the costs of living (as it can get pretty pricey), I would go with a smaller place and share it with maybe one other person. With several people there tends to be a lot of mess and loudness with people not all being on the same schedules. In terms of meals, I tend to prep a lot beforehand (so I'l make a big pot of chili and freeze them in baggies with 2 portions or so), and make a giant salad at the beginning of the week so I pretty much only have to cook once :D

Although I haven't moved out yet, I feel that I should add a little bit of input to the forum. My parents go away of long ass trips (like 2 months at a time) so for a significant portion of the year I am alone with my bro.

Lets just say that this experience has ruined the idea of room mates for me forever. If you share a house/apartment with someone who isn't on the same level as you (in terms of cleanliness, wake-up/bed-time, food ect...) it can be hell. For insistence I am a clean freak, my brother is the total opposite. It drove me nuts having to clean his mess up (ie: dirty dishes, clothes everywhere, pots/pans/ garbage ect...), furthermore he always had parties which left the house in disarray, and disrupted my sleep pattern (one time on the night of my English exam his party broke a circuit in the house and therefore I could not study :mad: ) . If you can afford it, definitely live alone or with a person who is similar to you and you can confide in as an individual.

On a side note, when is the best time to move out? After university, before? How much money should you have saved up, and what type of salary would you need to maintain a regular lifestyle while living on your own?

Roommates on the same level as you are great. Also, if they respect your needs and you respect theirs.

If I was looking for a place to live I'd be trying to find a roommate in the same/similar situation as me, for sure. Then again, I'm really easy-going and not much bothers me.

It's nice having a friend around to talk to. :)

i live on my own in a big house in a deserted residential area..meaning that there are not even grocery stores close by so i have to do my groceries after work usually...

i order pizza every other week...pizza hut has some good deals i have found out recently... i also make my own food although it is limited to burgers, sandwiches and salads..

im sick of the fact that there are not a lot of ppl to talk to as i switched provinces recently and dont know a lot of ppl here...

I have lived on my own for about 8 years. It is great!

There are certain things that I wish I had known to appreciate when I lived at home. It wasn't until I live on my own that I really learned how much it costs to eat and buy essentials like toilet paper. And how much work it is to keep a house clean. And the lawn mowed. And the walks shoveled.

As for the lawns and the walks - I sold my house and bought a condo this year. Yay for no lawn!

what can i cook that will taste good? What are some meals that you like to make + eat?

Check out the baking thread for some delicious eats...

Good quick things I make (sometimes not the most healthy lol):

-tuna melts (or tomato and cheese)

-eggs

-lentil soup

-curry (mmm.... if you make this with chickpeas it takes like 10 minutes!)

-pasta

-stir fry

I've also discovered that joining several clubs usually means free food. If you can get pizza once a week you saved yourself from cooking once a week. It's all about strategy.

I both make AND eat wonderful pb & j sandwiches. And pb & j toast.

But really...

I find that the boxes of frozen chicken breasts are a good investment - they don't go bad and you can do lots with them. If you are lazy, you can just throw a chicken breast in the oven for an hour then eat it with salsa or something.

I also like the boxes of egg whites and lots of fruit and veggies. I have a rice maker as well - so I can throw in rice and come back in 40 minutes and it is ready to go.

I am very busy, so I like to eat 'quick to prepare' food. I spend some time at the start of the week cutting fruits and veggies so I can take them to class with me. A little prep time saves a lot of time during the week.

My real specialty is making a big (big!) pot of chili, which I can then have through the week. Yum yum.

I used to be a terrible cook, so I would only cook and not eat. But now I both cook and eat my own creations. Good luck!

what can i cook that will taste good? What are some meals that you like to make + eat?

Bwa ha ha haaa. You have come to the right place my friend. I found my time on my own to be the best period for learning to cook, because I could experiment without worrying about someone else not being able to eat what I made.

Three general meal-types that are easy to make yet fairly healthy and impressive if you are good at them:

-any kind of pasta. Tomato sauce is the easiest, followed by oil-based sauces like pesto and finally the elusive but still not too hard white sauce.

-Anything you can wrap in a tortilla is easy and delicious. Enchiladas with a good mole are particularly impressive and shockingly easy to master.

-Anything you can dump over rice. Indian and Thai curries are both very easy to learn, amazingly versatile, and extremely delicious. Stir fry is another great one, especially because you can basically just grab whatever veggies you have that need using. The key with stir fry is when to add each type of vegetable... once you learn that it's an easy dish indeed. Not as impressive as the other two, but more healthy.

Also great, as above: chilli. Make a huge pot and freeze little portions for the win. Squash soup is another good one for this.

If you're interested in becoming a skilled cook and eating healthy, try to avoid meals that are centered around a particular meat at first. I'm not saying avoid meat, meat is awesome, but if you're new to cooking it's tempting to use the meat as a crutch. Try to focus on the vegetables in the dish instead, and keep the meat as a side-note.

Let me know what kind of food you like and I'll regale you with more advice about what equipment you need, what is cheap to make, and what websites are good for recipes.

Bwa ha ha haaa. You have come to the right place my friend. I found my time on my own to be the best period for learning to cook, because I could experiment without worrying about someone else not being able to eat what I made.

Three general meal-types that are easy to make yet fairly healthy and impressive if you are good at them:

-any kind of pasta. Tomato sauce is the easiest, followed by oil-based sauces like pesto and finally the elusive but still not too hard white sauce.

-Anything you can wrap in a tortilla is easy and delicious. Enchiladas with a good mole are particularly impressive and shockingly easy to master.

-Anything you can dump over rice. Indian and Thai curries are both very easy to learn, amazingly versatile, and extremely delicious. Stir fry is another great one, especially because you can basically just grab whatever veggies you have that need using. The key with stir fry is when to add each type of vegetable... once you learn that it's an easy dish indeed. Not as impressive as the other two, but more healthy.

Also great, as above: chilli. Make a huge pot and freeze little portions for the win. Squash soup is another good one for this.

If you're interested in becoming a skilled cook and eating healthy, try to avoid meals that are centered around a particular meat at first. I'm not saying avoid meat, meat is awesome, but if you're new to cooking it's tempting to use the meat as a crutch. Try to focus on the vegetables in the dish instead, and keep the meat as a side-note.

Let me know what kind of food you like and I'll regale you with more advice about what equipment you need, what is cheap to make, and what websites are good for recipes.

That is so nice, for you to offer cooking advice. I like to eat meat, chicken usually, but then i find the flavor is so bland.

If I dont focus my meal around meat, what else can it be? I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, not the biggest fan of vegetables.

stir fries are a miraculous way of disguising vegetables in tasty sauce. Especially super healthy ones like broccoli and carrots! Just watch the sodium content :)

Another super quick idea for people who like shrimp:

-cook an onion and some peppers in olive oil

-add a can of tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme

-bubble for a few minutes, then add some shrimp

Eat over rice! It's yummy and takes like 15 minutes.

That is so nice, for you to offer cooking advice. I like to eat meat, chicken usually, but then i find the flavor is so bland.

If I dont focus my meal around meat, what else can it be? I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy, not the biggest fan of vegetables.

If you want to make a chicken that is easy and doesn't taste bland try coating it in Emeril's Essence before cooking: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-recipe/index.html

Its super easy to make - I normally make a huge jar of it and it lasts forever. You can use it on any kind of meat when you are not in a mood for sauces. It is good for frying, baking or barbecuing and will satisfy any spice lover! It saved my household life when I was an undergrad and didn't have time or money for extravagant recipes. ;)

Living on my own has certainly been the best time of my life. I can do what I want, when I want, how I want, etc. The key is being responsible, I guess. It can also be difficult to balance a lot like school, cleaning, eating properly, exercising, paying bills, possibly working, and other things. It is definitely some new responsibility.

I eat a lot of cereal, sometimes canned foods, fruits and vegetables occasionally, and other normal things from the grocery store. The quality of food that you want to eat really depends on how much time you want to put into it. I'm lazy or tired a lot so I have what I would call an alright diet.

I live in downtown Edmonton in a condo that is only one block from the LRT and one LRT stop away from the university. It's a great location and overall, living on my own has been awesome.

Archived