Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a chance?

Hi all, so heres the gist of my story, I'm currently in 3rd year at UWO, I took the MCAT last summer, scored a 31P, 12/10/9 in VR. My GPA is 3.70 according to the 1st AMCAS conversion scale. the 2nd comes out to 3.83 for the first 2 years, I'm doing better this year so far, all over 80. Now I don't have the greatest of EC's, couple of MD shadowing here and there, and some volunteering, so what I'm asking is, what are my chances of getting in a med school in the states, which have the best chances if at all, please don't suger coat it!!

thanks!

Your stats are not too different from mine, and I got some good interviews. I'm no expert but I think you have a good shot at American schools. One good thing about American schools is there are so many of them that they might be interested in different things, and there is more of a range in the GPAs/MCATs they accept than Canadian schools.

The one thing that REALLY WORKED AGAINST ME (and i've been told this during every interview) was applying late. Get AMCAS in ASAP, then get secondaries in to the schools you want most/think you have a shot at, ASAP

This seems like a fitting thread for me to post in. First of all though, I just wanted to get the following out of the way:

**Since you're only completing 3rd year now I would suggest applying in Canada only this upcoming cycle (or re-applying if you applied after 2 years), making sure to raise that GPA as much as possible in 4th year and going for the US only then.**

That said, my own situation this past cycle for US schools was a 3.78 cumulative as well as science GPA (AMCAS scale) with a most recent MCAT of 31 R (9 in verbal). As you see, stats similar to yours. The caveat is that my first MCAT was a 33 R (still a 9 in verbal) and so I'd say you are in a better place without the (unfortunate) downward trend I got stuck with.

If you take a look at the US app thread you'll see that I received three interviews (U Kentucky, Boston U, NYU) of which 1 has panned into an acceptance at this point (WL at NYU and hoping for the best, rejection at Boston).

Can it be done with your stats? Abso-friggin-lutely. However, if you're only finishing off 3rd year I would strongly suggest trying to retake that 9 VR. It will hold you back considerably both in Canada and any US schools where the 10th percentile for verbal is no lower than a 10.

Depending on your yearly breakdown + weighting formula eligibility you theoretically have a chance at U of T, Dal, and maybe Mac. Up that verbal, GPA, (and maybe overall MCAT) and your options increase significantly.

Forgive me for going into your Canadian options. Just wanted to stress the importance of doing your best to successfully retake that MCAT for US and Canadian purposes, if possible.

EDIT: Thunderclouds, your stats (namely MCAT) is not really in the same ballpark as the OP's. A balanced 35 MCAT is significantly better than an unbalanced (i.e. sub 10 VR) low 30.

EDIT 2: OP, just for reference, imho there would be absolutely no way I would have received any of the invites without well tailored secondaries and a solid PS that encompassed a variety of strong ECs. In the case of NYU (which typically wouldn't look at a Canadian with my retake score), the invite was mostly due to heavy research (and some athletics) accomplishments...what I'm saying is don't underestimate the make or break nature of the non-numbers aspect of your potential future apps.

This seems like a fitting thread for me to post in. First of all though, I just wanted to get the following out of the way:

**Since you're only completing 3rd year now I would suggest applying in Canada only this upcoming cycle (or re-applying if you applied after 2 years), making sure to raise that GPA as much as possible in 4th year and going for the US only then.**

That said, my own situation this past cycle for US schools was a 3.78 cumulative as well as science GPA (AMCAS scale) with a most recent MCAT of 31 R (9 in verbal). As you see, stats similar to yours. The caveat is that my first MCAT was a 33 R (still a 9 in verbal) and so I'd say you are in a better place without the (unfortunate) downward trend I got stuck with.

If you take a look at the US app thread you'll see that I received three interviews (U Kentucky, Boston U, NYU) of which 1 has panned into an acceptance at this point (WL at NYU, rejection at Boston).

Can it be done with your stats? Abso-friggin-lutely. However, if you're only finishing off 3rd year I would strongly suggest trying to retake that 9 VR. It will hold you back considerably both in Canada and any US schools where the 10th percentile for verbal is no lower than a 10.

Depending on your yearly breakdown + weighting formula eligibility you theoretically have a chance at U of T, Dal, and maybe Mac. Up that verbal, GPA, (and maybe overall MCAT) and your options increase significantly.

Forgive me for going into your Canadian options. Just wanted to stress the importance of doing your best to successfully retake that MCAT for US and Canadian purposes, if possible.

EDIT: Thunderclouds, your stats (namely MCAT) is not really in the same ballpark as the OP's. A balanced 35 MCAT is significantly better than an unbalanced (i.e. sub 10 VR) low 30.

It seems too difficult to get into Canada tbh, I got rejected outright by all of the schools, and I heard you have a better chance of getting into the states. That being said, I'm going to re-write the MCAT (or planning to anyways) on July 6. GPA is coming along, as long as I don't mess up my finals. As an aside, would I need to take English? I haven't done so thus far, as well, do they count summer school grades?

Your stats are not too different from mine, and I got some good interviews. I'm no expert but I think you have a good shot at American schools. One good thing about American schools is there are so many of them that they might be interested in different things, and there is more of a range in the GPAs/MCATs they accept than Canadian schools.

The one thing that REALLY WORKED AGAINST ME (and i've been told this during every interview) was applying late. Get AMCAS in ASAP, then get secondaries in to the schools you want most/think you have a shot at, ASAP

so apply early, which schools do you think I would have the best chance in?

It seems too difficult to get into Canada tbh, I got rejected outright by all of the schools, and I heard you have a better chance of getting into the states. That being said, I'm going to re-write the MCAT (or planning to anyways) on July 6. GPA is coming along, as long as I don't mess up my finals. As an aside, would I need to take English? I haven't done so thus far, as well, do they count summer school grades?

so apply early, which schools do you think I would have the best chance in?

I'll leave the second Q for Thunderclouds as it was directed (consider getting a copy of the MSAR though to make the decision as to where to apply to easier). As for the first Q: yes you would need a full credit of English. Summer courses do count (everything counts into your GPA).

Good luck with the retake! If you can manage an 11 on VR and R on writing (to be safe)... you'll open up the possibility of Western right after your graduate (conditional acceptance pending you have 1 year above 3.70 on OMSAS before you apply) as well as Queen's depending on how your GPA shapes up in 3rd/4th year.

EDIT: Also note that being rejected by "all" the schools (you mean all over Canada or just ON?) is nothing surprising if you don't have a 3.95+ GPA as a 3rd year candidate OR don't cinch an automatic interview at Western for having an 11 in verbal (Queen's changed this year so making the MCAT/GPA cutoff is no longer enough...but even if it was the 9VR would get the app cut).

I'll leave the second Q for Thunderclouds as it was directed (consider getting a copy of the MSAR though to make the decision as to where to apply to easier). As for the first Q: yes you would need a full credit of English. Summer courses do count (everything counts into your GPA).

Good luck with the retake! If you can manage an 11 on VR and R on writing (to be safe)... you'll open up the possibility of Western right after your graduate (conditional acceptance pending you have 1 year above 3.70 on OMSAS before you apply) as well as Queen's depending on how your GPA shapes up in 3rd/4th year.

EDIT: Also note that being rejected by "all" the schools (you mean all over Canada or just ON?) is nothing surprising if you don't have a 3.95+ GPA as a 3rd year candidate OR don't cinch an automatic interview at Western for having an 11 in verbal (Queen's changed this year so making the MCAT/GPA cutoff is no longer enough...but even if it was the 9VR would get the app cut).

just ON, I'm gonna give it one more go, then if it doesn't work out, I'm doing a masters or something else, so which US schools do you guys reccomend I apply to? also what's MSAR?

Regarding schools, I would simply take a look at the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted thread here where people have posted their stats and acceptances. MSAR (the published guide for medical school admissions) is also a great resource - but this thread will have more "Canadian applicant-specific" data. Wayne State, SLU and Kentucky seem to be the hottest. GWU and CMS/RFU seem like good options as well. There are many more, but those would be absolutes I'd think.

Regarding schools, I would simply take a look at the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted thread here where people have posted their stats and acceptances. MSAR (the published guide for medical school admissions) is also a great resource - but this thread will have more "Canadian applicant-specific" data. Wayne State, SLU and Kentucky seem to be the hottest. GWU and CMS/RFU seem like good options as well. There are many more, but those would be absolutes I'd think.

Expanding on the above: definitely take a look at who got interviews (+ acceptances) where. Here's a list of most to least interview invites offered to pm101 applicants this year:

1) Wayne- 8

2) SLU- 7

3) BU- 6

4) GWU- 5

5) Upstate- 4

6) MSU CHM- 4

7) AECOM- 4

Right off the bat, you can see these schools are Canadian friendly. Kentucky, DMS, Case, Yale do fit in there as well.

++ to all the posters

On a related note, SLU and Kentucky have an escrow policy, meaning you have to deposit all 4 year tuition in an account before you matriculate, so make sure you have the funds before you attend the interviews. I find it very interesting that Kentucky is so receptive to international/Canadians, considering that it is a state school in the south with heavy state sponsorship

++ to all the posters

On a related note, SLU and Kentucky have an escrow policy, meaning you have to deposit all 4 year tuition in an account before you matriculate, so make sure you have the funds before you attend the interviews. I find it very interesting that Kentucky is so receptive to international/Canadians, considering that it is a state school in the south with heavy state sponsorship

SLU and NYMC have an escrow policy, but Kentucky doesn't. They have a tuition gaurantee program which ensures that tuition remains the same for all out of state students during the four year MD program. Unless they are changing their policy for the coming cycle, UK does not require escrow :)

Kentucky was a lovely school. They seem to have a goal of becoming better and more diverse so that could possibly be why they are receptive to Canadian applicants. But I don't think it's overtly so, they probably invite the same amount as any other state school.

My bad, the policy applies for the first two years

If an accepted international applicant does not qualify for governmental financial aid, documentation of funds in a University of Kentucky approved escrow account necessary to cover tuition, fees, books, supplies, other curriculum costs, and living expenses for the first two years of medical school must be provided prior to being allowed to matriculate in the College of Medicine. International students may also be asked to sign a Master Promissory Note detailing a financial plan to cover all costs for the remainder of their medical degree program.

ok that shounds good. I'll look into Wayne and SLU, kentucky seems to want the funds upfront for the first two years it seems, I don't have that at all.

Expanding on the above: definitely take a look at who got interviews (+ acceptances) where. Here's a list of most to least interview invites offered to pm101 applicants this year:

1) Wayne- 8

2) SLU- 7

3) BU- 6

4) GWU- 5

5) Upstate- 4

6) MSU CHM- 4

7) AECOM- 4

Right off the bat, you can see these schools are Canadian friendly. Kentucky, DMS, Case, Yale do fit in there as well.

So you would say Wayne, SLU and BU are one of the better choices? I'll look around the forums, but which ones seemed to accept people with similar stats to mine?

My bad, the policy applies for the first two years

If an accepted international applicant does not qualify for governmental financial aid, documentation of funds in a University of Kentucky approved escrow account necessary to cover tuition, fees, books, supplies, other curriculum costs, and living expenses for the first two years of medical school must be provided prior to being allowed to matriculate in the College of Medicine. International students may also be asked to sign a Master Promissory Note detailing a financial plan to cover all costs for the remainder of their medical degree program.

ok, I guess I'll keep Kentucky in mind, but for governmental aid, I doubt I would qualify, but do you guys know how much OSAP would cover, if at all?

Be careful, SLU want all 4 years upfront

Wayne is a good choice, very friendly to Canadians, usually interview Canadians with 3.65+/31+. But very expensive, tuition is 10k more than other schools. Two schools with cheap tuition is Upstate (you qualify as instate tution after 1 year), and UCONN (good NCAA team, instate tuition after 1 year). The problem is, they are not as Canadian friendly as SLU or Wayne.

OSAP covers very little (I think most people here got <10k/year), the majority of your funding will probably come from bank line of credits (the interests are crazy, there are several threads here discussing this topic)

I hope this helps

Be careful, SLU want all 4 years upfront

Wayne is a good choice, very friendly to Canadians, usually interview Canadians with 3.65+/31+. But very expensive, tuition is 10k more than other schools. Two schools with cheap tuition is Upstate (you qualify as instate tution after 1 year), and UCONN (good NCAA team, instate tuition after 1 year). The problem is, they are not as Canadian friendly as SLU or Wayne.

OSAP covers very little (I think most people here got <10k/year), the majority of your funding will probably come from bank line of credits (the interests are crazy, there are several threads here discussing this topic)

I hope this helps

OH god, there goes SLU, and wayne unless I get a really good line of credit, what about BSU?

Hey guys,

I'm also applying to the US after getting rejected from ON this year. I graduate this april.

I have a 33O and for AMCAS about a 3.99 for now, we'll see how 4th year turns out...

I was wondering what schools I could possibley get into? Any upper-tier ones I should apply to? Which are the mid-tier ones?

Make sure you take a full year English course, almost all American med schools require it.

Apply to as many schools as you can, you don't want to redo this process. Look at the list of which schools gave interviews/acceptances to Canadians. Write up excellent primary and secondary applications. And above all, APPLY EARLY. Interviews and admissions are on a rolling basis, so the sooner you get all the paperwork done the sooner it's going to get reviewed. As international applicants we're already at a disadvantage, don't add more with a late application.

For a full year english course, can you take it in the summer or does it have to be during the school year?

take it any time

the better question is, are all courses with the english department, and titled under the EN catagory considered to be english courses? I think it has to be writing intensive, how can we tell if a course is considered or not?

Archived