Premed 101 Forums

Cardiovascular Perfusionist Program

Hi Everyone,

If medical school doesn't work out for this round of applications, I am thinking of enrolling in the Cardiovascular Perfusionist Program at Michener (assuming I make the cut there). It seems a little bit more hands on and interesting then other masters programs I could be pursuing. I am wondering if this would be 'frowned' upon if I were to re-apply for medical school after.

I know some people who finish their nursing degrees do apply to medical school afterwards, and this can be seen as a bad thing because they are taking away a spot for a potentially practicing nurse.

Any thoughts if that sort of logic might apply to a perfusionist program? Has anyone taken this path into a Canadian medical school?

If you don't plan on being a perfusionist, why enroll in the program?

It would be different if you were in the perfusionist program and decided medicine was for you, but it sounds like you're doing it purely to get into medical school.

That being said, perfusionists make a nice living and they make significant contributions to patient care. I'd give it real consideration as a career choice.

Hi Everyone,

If medical school doesn't work out for this round of applications, I am thinking of enrolling in the Cardiovascular Perfusionist Program at Michener (assuming I make the cut there). It seems a little bit more hands on and interesting then other masters programs I could be pursuing. I am wondering if this would be 'frowned' upon if I were to re-apply for medical school after.

I know some people who finish their nursing degrees do apply to medical school afterwards, and this can be seen as a bad thing because they are taking away a spot for a potentially practicing nurse.

Any thoughts if that sort of logic might apply to a perfusionist program? Has anyone taken this path into a Canadian medical school?

I applied that too.

It would be different if you were in the perfusionist program and decided medicine was for you, but it sounds like you're doing it purely to get into medical school.

That being said, perfusionists make a nice living and they make significant contributions to patient care. I'd give it real consideration as a career choice.

Well to be honest, my ultimate goal is medicine but if I don't make it then I would like to do something with my time and grow as an individual.

I didn't particularly like research so I don't feel like pursuing a research-based masters is for me. I am looking into some course-based masters but I feel I have done a lot of course learning during my undergraduate degree.

What I have not done, is gotten some practical experience/exposure. The Cardiovascular perfusionist program does involve some learning in class but a lot of clinical experience as well. The field appeals a lot more to me then doing a masters (e.g. open heart surgery and monitoring vitals etc.). Wouldn't you consider this program more applicable to medicine then a thesis masters or a public health masters. I want to get some hands on experience, and learn about human health in a clinical setting and this is a good way of going about it.

I am just wondering if doing this program could be seen negatively in terms of eventually trying to get into medical school.

Well to be honest, my ultimate goal is medicine but if I don't make it then I would like to do something with my time and grow as an individual.

I didn't particularly like research so I don't feel like pursuing a research-based masters is for me. I am looking into some course-based masters but I feel I have done a lot of course learning during my undergraduate degree.

What I have not done, is gotten some practical experience/exposure. The Cardiovascular perfusionist program does involve some learning in class but a lot of clinical experience as well. The field appeals a lot more to me then doing a masters (e.g. open heart surgery and monitoring vitals etc.). I want to get some hands on experience, and learn about human health in a clinical setting and this is a good way of going about it.

I am just wondering if doing this program could be seen negatively in terms of eventually trying to get into medical school.

People need to have back-up choices if they don't get into medicine. That's why so many medical students apply to programs like PT and OT, and even Speech and Language Pathology. So there are plenty of students in these programs who hope to get into medicine, and who actually leave the PT or OT program if they do get into med (which kinda sucks for all those students who actually WANT to be PTs or OTs and don't want medicine, but who might have just missed getting in because of the pre-meds, but oh well). I see the perfusionist program in the same way - a health-related field that's a back-up in case medicine doesn't work out.

• 2 months later...

Archived