Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculation

So, if you have

1) already finished a degree

2)gone back to do science classes

do NON science requirements (e.g extra classes) count towards your GPA?

I am wondering because I did less well than expected in a math course that is a pre-req for physics but is not itself a requirement.

Does anyone know if this makes any difference?

have you returned as a special student?

i had also completed an undergrad degree, and returned as a special student, followed by a second undergrad degree.

based on my situation and that of a couple of others who have done the same thing:

if your undergrad gpa is good that should really help.

if your gpa in the science pre-req courses are on par with what you had in undergrad, or better, than you should be ok.

it's really the undergrad gpa and the science gpa that they look at as far as i'm aware.

hope this helps a little!

If you're above 3.8 (by McGill standards) and your science pre-reqs are in that realm, than you should be fine.

I know someone who had roughly a 4.0 through undergrad and a 3.4 in sci pre-reqs who got an interview at McGill. Hopefully your math grade is not below a B-.

Although, while intro physics courses at McGill encourage you to take calculaus as well, it's really not necessary.

I'm not sure that I understand your plan though. Have you completed your degree? Have you completed your pre-reqs?

• 2 weeks later...

So, since I wrote this I have more information

1) If you ALREADY HAVE A DEGREE and you have graduated officially, then that is the GPA you are dealing with, for better or for worse.

2) Your science GPA is based on the prereqs alone. So the chem/ochem/phys/bio classes specifically required are used to calculate this regardless of whether you did them before or after your degree.

3) if you have a second degree, you need to have completed 60 credits in it or else it won't be considered. If you have, they take the best of your two degrees.

4) Any courses you do after your degree that are not pre-reqs and are not part of a second degree you are trying to get don't matter in McGills determination of GPA. I guess this is a way of preventing people from just padding up forever until they get something really high. Not sure. Other schools do count them (EG ubc and wherever else).

I was expecting like a D in that class but thankfully did better than expected- not great or even good but not horrendous. For McGill, from what I understand, it makes no real difference. For other schools it will lower my cPGA but not disastrously.

Archived