Premed 101 Forums

0 level courses

Guest Alastriss

Guest Alastriss

Hey I was wondering what the policy for medschools was on 0 level courses, there are a lot of intriquing 0 level courses that I would love to take but I've heard only bad things about them for medschool applicants. If anyone has any information and could share it that would be greatly appreciated

Guest aneliz

I think it depends on the school where you are thinking of taking the course. For example: at UWO, a zero level course is a first year course. So it would be fine.

However, at Guelph, a zero level course is NOT university level (ie equivalent to a high school credit) and would therefore not be okay.

As a general rule, any course that you want to use in your GPA must be a university level course.

Guest spdoctor

Why would it matter if a 0 level course is taken? I thought any university course counts towards your gpa? Why would medical schools frown upon you taking a zero level course? Could someone please confirm this? Do med schools really disapprove of us taking 0 level courses?

A quick response would be appreciated as I pick my courses very soon.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yes, medical schools frown on taking '0' level courses, so long as they are not like UWO and number their courses differently. Since most schools number their 1st year courses with numbers beginning with '100' or '1000', a '0' level course would therefore rank below a 1st year undergraduate course. Medical schools don't count high school courses towards their admission requirements the last time that I checked.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest scooter

Also, some schools don't count them toward your gpa as they are considered high school courses. I took one because I didn't do biology in HS and couldn't enter Intro to bio without it. At the U of Ottawa they are for those who kinda changed what they wanted to do after entering school and since they are obviously easier don't count as real courses- but count as having taken a full course load.

Guest spdoctor

AT Queens atleast ...not all zero level courses are considered high school courses? I was wondering if these courses are used in gpa calculation? Can any Queens student help me out on this one? I want to take Phys 020 and Introductory spanish? These are not considered high school equivalents in any way? Count towards gpa or not?

Archived