Premed 101 Forums

What is your research proving to adcoms?

medmiscer

I volunteered in a lab in the summer before 1st year and again in the summer after 1st year, and to be completely honestly, I didn't like it.

I was wondering what sort of traits adcoms believe that students get out of participating in research? I'm not doing research this year because it's not something I enjoy doing. Will this hurt my application when I apply?

I think research effectively demonstrates: scientific and intellectual curiosity, openness to continuing learning, ability to work with others, oral/written communication skills, initiative, performance, and reliability.

In doing research, you also contribute meaningfully and purposefully for the scientific/medical community.

All of the points 1337 said were right on. Also, I agree with you, med. Research can be horrible and dreadfully boring... if you don't like the project! I hated biochem research *shudder* but loved my ochem and clinical research to death.

Adcoms should definitely be able to overlook the fact you don't have tons of research experience. It's not a requirement by any means. But you still need to show that you have some of the skills 1337 mentioned which you can gain from other ECs.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Yeah, the prof I worked with for the past two summers pretty much said that I work for him (NSERC) if I wanted, but I ended up declining.

I'm planning on studying for the MCAT this summer (I've never been this scared of a test before lol) and I'm working a few days a week doing something that I actually love. Hopefully everything works out.

I feel that scientific and intellectual curiosity, openness to continuing learning, written communication skills could also be demonstrated through the MCAT, right?

Remember that research is very valuable sometimes to gain clinical experience. So that when you can talk about it, you've got some exposure outside from a volunteer. That's my take on it...but the research I do is on tech applications, which is interesting to me but woefully boring to others.

Remember guys, to <3 the MCAT.

Remember that research is very valuable sometimes to gain clinical experience. So that when you can talk about it, you've got some exposure outside from a volunteer. That's my take on it...but the research I do is on tech applications, which is interesting to me but woefully boring to others.

Remember guys, to <3 the MCAT.

Thank you!

Archived