Premed 101 Forums

Help!! The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

Boa

fml fml fml fml

<<The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?>>

NOO I DO NOT WANT TO FORMAT MY USB , I NEED MY FILES AARGGGHHHH

I tried to plug my usb on another computer and i get the same message...

someone here must be a computer geek...

thank you for your help :)

fml fml fml fml

Try plugging it into a PS3/xbox 360? Maybe those don't require as much formatting.

Can't you just cancel the formatting message and go on to view the files?

Try plugging it into a PS3/xbox 360? Maybe those don't require as much formatting.

Can't you just cancel the formatting message and go on to view the files?

hello medmiscer,

when i click NO, the message just goes away but i dont have other options...

I do have a PS3, whats gonna happen if i plug my usb on it? i wont be able to work on the files...

If you click no, then you go to "My Computer" or whatever it's called in windows these days, can you get to your files that way?

^Yeah try that!

Uhm, well what kind of files are they? I can view pictures/videos/music when I plug a usb stick into my 360.

Maybe there's some way that you could transfer the files onto your ps3's hard drive?

Edit: Check this out: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080101114107AAZA6oZ

fml fml fml fml

Your USB may be corrupted...most common cause of that error

Rmorlean may come to the rescue...I'm techy but I can't help unless I have the USB in question...

Did you take your USB key out before ejecting it using your operating system? If so that could cause it. I have a hard drive that kept disconnecting itself, Idk if the cord's messed up but basically I got a similar message a bunch of times. I had to use chkdsk on Windows (actually in DOS) to get it to work again, took forever on a 1.5TB drive but I'm sure on a USB stick it'll take no time. If you're on a Mac I'm sure there's a similar thing but I don't know how to do that.

If the files are uber important I wouldn't risk fooling around if you don't know what you are doing. I don't no anything about computers so I can't help you. The only thing I can suggest is go to staples maybe their tech support team can help you. It will cost you unfortunately.:confused:

• 1 month later...

I'm part techy too.. Did you do anything special between the last time you used it successfully and now? Unplugging without ejecting shouldn't normally cause that with USB keys (if whatever you were transferring is done) but it's always a possibility.

My guess - it's the partition table at the beginning of the drive that is corrupted. This means Windows doesn't know where it begins and ends hence can't find your files. My entire hard drive partition where I store docs, music, videos, pics showed up as unformatted space last year. I knew the data was still there, and after 2 days managed to get Windows to recognize it and fixed the problem.

Looking around, it does seem Partition Table Doctor can fix the boot sector problem. :)

EDIT - whoops.. looks like PTD isn't marketed anymore. Need to find some other option. I'd be tempted to try accessing the files from within linux instead of windows. It's possible to download a linux livecd that you burn to a cd so that you don't have to install on your machine. Often linux will "see" partitions windows doesn't.

I'm part techy too.. Did you do anything special between the last time you used it successfully and now? Unplugging without ejecting shouldn't normally cause that with USB keys (if whatever you were transferring is done) but it's always a possibility.

My guess - it's the partition table at the beginning of the drive that is corrupted. This means Windows doesn't know where it begins and ends hence can't find your files. My entire hard drive partition where I store docs, music, videos, pics showed up as unformatted space last year. I knew the data was still there, and after 2 days managed to get Windows to recognize it and fixed the problem.

Looking around, it does seem Partition Table Doctor can fix the boot sector problem. :)

EDIT - whoops.. looks like PTD isn't marketed anymore. Need to find some other option. I'd be tempted to try accessing the files from within linux instead of windows. It's possible to download a linux livecd that you burn to a cd so that you don't have to install on your machine. Often linux will "see" partitions windows doesn't.

download PTDD Partition Table Doctor 3.5 Portable here=> http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4914612/Partition_Table_Doctor_3.5_Portable

No need to install it!

Or, if you want to, Setup is included. Don't need to register. In the package there is also an ISO image that you can burn to a CD, and a program to build a bootable Floppy.

read the instruction carefully before proceeding to the process

I downloaded a partition table thing and I was able to recover some of the files (there was a limit on download). So i got my lesson, no more usb for me im using dropbox and skydrive now.

oh and now that you ppl mention it, I think what happened is that I unplugged the usb without ejecting it first ughhh

thanks again for your help!

I downloaded a partition table thing and I was able to recover some of the files (there was a limit on download). So i got my lesson, no more usb for me im using dropbox and skydrive now.

oh and now that you ppl mention it, I think what happened is that I unplugged the usb without ejecting it first ughhh

thanks again for your help!

Glad you got some files back. A usb stick could get corrupted for reasons others than unplugging w/ ejecting first. I never eject lol. I never go anywhere without mine, but just make sure there's always a copy of the file on another drive (goes for every important file on your computer too!). :)

Archived