Premed 101 Forums

Online practice tests

Guest seonagh

Guest seonagh

hello all,

I tried searching since I figured this question would be a repeat but couldn't find an old thread that discussed the online AAMC practice tests. They seem to have onine access to 4 tests on the website for an $80 fee and then access to the latest for $40.

For those using this AAMC practice tests have you used them online or ordered the paper? It looks like you are able to print out the paper and then enter your answer sheet to have a scored analysis done of weaknesses etc?? I wouldn't want to use it right off the screen since that is not similar to the testing situation but would print them... do you miss out on anything by buying the online membership vs the ordering the paper tests?

As a second question, how early in the process would you recommend doing a practice test? I haven't really started to study yet for August but have the Barron book and was thinking of doing one of those practice tests now just to see where I stand. Do you think that is a good idea or should one study some first?

Seonagh

Guest steak

hey seonagh,

i bought the paper tests (3, 4, 5, 6) (got a good price) and don't see any reason why you couldn't just buy the online membership and print them.

only recommendation re: timing of tests is to not fall into the trap of writing more than one test at any point in your study progression (unless you are finished studying, or finished one section) because:

i) you can't rely on results from re-writing a test you've done as an indication of performance, and

ii) progression of test scores with studying will give an indication of how successful your studying is proving to be..

it's entirely an individual choice, but i'd say one at most before you start to give you an idea of where you stand, followed by the rest once you're finished studying. doing a practice test/section half-way through studying is pointless since the questions within a section are randomized in order and content..

good luck w/ the studying!

steak

Hey, I just wrote last saturday.

I wrote my first full length practice in November just to see where I stood and then pretty much did nothing until January when I started studying and then I started doing more full-lengths starting in mid-february at a rate of 1/week, in march upped that to 2, and the last two weeks of april i did a total of about 7 I think.

If I were you I'd definitely write one full length first before studying.. I mean if you score a 14 in physics and a 8 in bio (I'm sure you'd get higher ;) ).. you're gonna know where to focus your attention.

About printing vs. ordering vs off the screen. I did 3R just off the screen and while you're right it doesn't simulate true testing conditions, at the time I did it that wasn't a major issue.. I was more concerned of how I'd perform with the passages than getting the timing down, etc.

Good luck with it!

EDIT: Like Steak said, you can't really repeat a full length since you'll tend to remember the solutions, so keep the bulk of them to the end of july/early august.

Guest seonagh

Great advice!! thank you.

As an aside, how is the accuracy of the Barron practice tests for anyone that has used them? Did you find them easier or harder than the real deal?

Thanks,

Seonagh

Yep I used barron's, they're good but not great. My VR scores were pretty consistant with those I got on Kaplan and AAMC practice tests, but physics and bio were 2-3 points lower than what I was getting with Kaplan/AAMC.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I used Barrons and the Gold Standard (and some Kaplan stuff borrowed from a friend). Gold Standard was the hardest (but that's a good thing). Kaplan stuff was ok. I didn't like Barrons. Their science review was too focused on minutiae, and I don't think their sample tests were representative of the real MCAT. In several of the physical passages the answer to the first question was required information for the following questions in the passage. So if you got that first one wrong you were screwed.

A lot of Barrons verbal passages seem to be about either the plight of non-tenured university staff or how wonderful Herbert Hoover was. I was left with the nagging impression that Barrons verbal was edited by a disgruntled American history PhD...

On the other hand, the book is only twenty bucks or so and it has four sample exams in it. Use them as extra practice tests, but not as your main source of practice material.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFAhsuG/HNgbK3bC2wRAl3rAKCAyMG95Lv6ADY9vXurPDPIO0S9XgCfcBOs

zECiIyQQ9ktjocdQGwsiuzg=

=bXIZ

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest seonagh
I was left with the nagging impression that Barrons verbal was edited by a disgruntled American history PhD..
\

That is pretty funny and probably true...LOL

Use them as extra practice tests, but not as your main source of practice material.

I was thinking of using them as a pre study pre test to see what to focus on... do you think they are too way out or good enough for that, I hesitate to use up an AAMC (even the free online one) for that.

Seonagh

~~ feeling overwhelmed with where to start

If this were a few months ago I would say do the 3R and do it again right before. I wrote the 3R last august and when I did it again last week remembered none of it. But since it's 4 months away and you likely will remember it, go with the barron's now and maybe do 3R halfway through ur study schedule?

EDIT: I had the last edition of Barron's and the WS prompts were @#%$. They were random quotes and nothing like what the AAMC uses. So if the new edition is the same, go to the AAMC site and grab a couple of random prompts from there if you end up doing a full length.

Archived