Premed 101 Forums

What to do until med school decisions come out?

suziep100

Ok, so I have absolutely nothing else to do other than eating a bag of chips, watching TV, and doing nothing for the next 3 weeks (May 16th). After then, I will be slaving away my summer in 2 full time jobs until the last week of August.

What suggestions do you have for me, as I have no concrete plans for traveling or anything. Also, if I really screwed up my GPA in the hopes that this year's GPA doesn't matter, should I even bother spending ~$1000 to go travel somewhere on my own when I face the possibility of med school rejection slamming on my face in the middle of my trip? I really want to go, but at the same time I feel like I don't deserve it especially when I've been such a ****ty student and person this year.

Also, if trip is good, what kind of places would you suggest that I go if I can spend ~1 week traveling ? Somewhere out of country (Europe, Asia etc...) or somewhere within North America?

Suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Just hit the gym and improve your fitness.

This way, if you don't get in, you look awesome for next year's interviews. Or if you do get in, you look awesome for med school.

I doubt you can plan and take a Europe/Asian vacation before May 13, unless you want to be out of the country when your decision comes out (which you can't do since you have to be back). Perhaps go somewhere in Canada for a week (Banff/Jasper would be perfect, but perhaps a bit cold).

I doubt you can plan and take a Europe/Asian vacation before May 13, unless you want to be out of the country when your decision comes out (which you can't do since you have to be back).

You absolutely can travel, it's just a bit of a pain to do so. These pains include assigning a third party designate to potentially accept/decline offers for you (eg relative or friend), giving that designate access to enough of your money to put down a deposit for acceptance, and general communication issues if you don't have regular internet or phone access.

There are vaccinations and police background checks that much be done after acceptance but before school starts...as long as you aren't gone for the entire summer, you can plan your trip to accommodated time needed to perform these tasks.

I agree with HBP in that it's much easier to delay the trip and be around for the big day, but there's also a chance that you're waitlisted and not find out about an acceptance until you leave anyways. In which case, you may have delayed the end of your trip, and puts you in an even worse situation.

All in all, apart from the police background check and possibly vaccinations, internet allows you to do everything from Singapore that you can from Iqaluit.

I really doubt you can book over seas flights for $1000 this close to the date (I'm assuming you'd want to leave some time this week or next week?). It's usually easier to find decent priced packages for NYC or Vegas. That could be fun?

++. If you haven't been to NYC before you should go. It's sweet, but the weather isn't the best and unless you have some extra $$$ you'd be doing mostly tourist stuff (which is still good imo).

If it were me though I'd visit a fun part of Canada I've never been to with a friend. Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax would easily do it but unfortunately it's probably not the best time for travel given the shotty weather atm.

Pack your bags and head on a week long train trip to Boston and New-York.. the train is relatively cheep and relaxing. You can do day trips or 3-day trips in some cities and then head on out to the next city it is really fun and most train stations are downtown so you will be right in the middle of the city to do touristy things. Book two nights in New-York, a night or two in Boston, on your way back you can visit Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto if you like. Plus there are many smaller towns where you can stay in a bed and breakfast for a night and enjoy some quality time with your friends or partner.

Pack your bags and head on a week long train trip to Boston and New-York.. the train is relatively cheep and relaxing. You can do day trips or 3-day trips in some cities and then head on out to the next city it is really fun and most train stations are downtown so you will be right in the middle of the city to do touristy things. Book two nights in New-York' date=' a night or two in Boston, on your way back you can visit Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto if you like. Plus there are many smaller towns where you can stay in a bed and breakfast for a night and enjoy some quality time with your friends or partner.[/quote']

We're talking Amtrak or VIA? Good idea by the way, highly like it :).

I can't even stay focused when I try to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy, there's no way I'll be able to endure ~500 Simpsons episodes :( .

On this theme, I'm going to suggest the series 24.

I think it was ellorie who had the idea of getting your wisdom teeth out and sleeping for the week?

I'm going to throw out the series Shameless. It's being shown by showtime, just download it (the American version, not British) because it is effin amazing! Its the antithesis to a normal sitcom - instead of following a rich, educated, White happy-go-lucky family livin in the 'burbs, it follows a super dysfunctional, piss-poor family struggling with life but still manages a lot of laughs.

Get a **DELETED** addiction.

Watch quality TV (HBO/AMC).

My recommendations:

The Wire (HBO)

Mad Men (AMC)

Breaking Bad (AMC)

Dexter (Showtime... I know)

Or perhaps pick up a sitcom:

Arrested Development

Modern Family

play some longgg RPGs

There's no longer RPG than World of Warcraft. It doesn't end until

a) you decide to quit voluntarily with your life intact (highly improbable)

B) Blizzard releases their new MMO

c) You become a recluse and all your hopes and desires IRL are shattered and you run out of money/friends (offline) hitting rock bottom before you try to get your life back together

have fun ^_^

why has no-one suggested using alcohol as the solution (and cause) to all of life's problems? :P

go out and get day-drunk on a patio (weather permitting), explore some new restaurants, cities, etc... sometimes it's cool to just chill on your own for a while but I find being with friends is what helps get me through this stuff

why has no-one suggested using alcohol as the solution (and cause) to all of life's problems? :P

go out and get day-drunk on a patio (weather permitting), explore some new restaurants, cities, etc... sometimes it's cool to just chill on your own for a while but I find being with friends is what helps get me through this stuff

+1

You'll discover awesome patios and you'll have an excuse to nap at 6 PM.

Archived