Alright, who voted?

cnb88

Did/will you vote?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did/will you vote?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Who out there in pm101 land did (or didn't!) vote, and why or why not (if you're going to vote, and just haven't gone to the polls yet, click "Yes")?

I voted :D because my grandfather was in politics and lost his seat by much less than 100 votes because a lot of his supporters figured he'd win by a landslide, so they didn't bother to go out and vote. That taught me that each vote counts (either way). Plus, I live in a country where I'm privilged enough to have the right to vote freely for whomever I choose, and I want to excerise my right since so many people around the world protest, rally, fight, and give their lives for the possibility that their children or grandchildren will be able to.

If you haven't done so already, go vote! :)

Who out there in pm101 land did (or didn't!) vote, and why or why not (if you're going to vote, and just haven't gone to the polls yet, click "Yes")?

I voted :D because my grandfather was in politics and lost his seat by much less than 100 votes because a lot of his supporters figured he'd win by a landslide, so they didn't bother to go out and vote. That taught me that each vote counts (either way). Plus, I live in a country where I'm privilged enough to have the right to vote freely for whomever I choose, and I want to excerise my right since so many people around the world protest, rally, fight, and give their lives for the possibility that their children or grandchildren will be able to.

If you haven't done so already, go vote! :)

I did not vote. Here are several reasons:

1.) I live in SW Calgary. Stephen Harper is in my electoral district. He won 78% of the seats in the previous election. The province I live in is dripping Conservative and my vote will not matter. This would be a different story if we voted for simply a party leader.

2.) I didn't vote just because as I 'm not crazy about giving a party 2$.

3.) None of the major parties wish to run the country the way I would like to see it run. Yes there are things I like about them all, but I feel there are enough things I dislike about them that it all sort of balances out.

4.) Probably the biggest reason I don't vote is because there is no legal or binding contract that a party has to do what they say they will. This is what happened when the province of Newfoundland and Labrador trusted Stephen Harper the first time around.

5.) Much like the ~75% of students who don't vote, I feel I had more important things to do today than head to a polling station. Make voting an online thing and we'll have a real exciting election going on.

6.) I am also exercising my right to vote by choosing to be indifferent

7.) The NDP are doing surprisingly well, and I suspect will come out on top of the Liberals this year, but in all likelihood we will not have a majority government in this election. Thus, we will be back to the drawing board of bickering and nonsense and not really get anything meaningful accomplished.

I voted because I care, same as people can choose not to vote because they don't care.

Newf, I respect all your reasons for not voting EXCEPT for #5. Please tell me you don't actually believe that out of everyone in the country, it's the students who can't find the time to vote?!? Given all your other reasons for not voting, how would being able to cast your ballot online change your mind?

I'll be in blackout land until 7pm local here, I can't wait to start seeing some results!!! :)

I also take issue with your fifth point, Mike.

There are several ways to vote: Advance Polls, the local Elections Canada Office, or by mail. If somebody told me that they couldn't find the time to vote, I'd be more inclined to think of that as an excuse than as a legitimate reason.

Ways to Vote: Elections Canada

Voting is a right but is not mandatory. With that said, I voted today.

I did not vote. Here are several reasons:

1.) I live in SW Calgary. Stephen Harper is in my electoral district. He won 78% of the seats in the previous election. The province I live in is dripping Conservative and my vote will not matter. This would be a different story if we voted for simply a party leader.

2.) I didn't vote just because as I 'm not crazy about giving a party 2$.

3.) None of the major parties wish to run the country the way I would like to see it run. Yes there are things I like about them all, but I feel there are enough things I dislike about them that it all sort of balances out.

4.) Probably the biggest reason I don't vote is because there is no legal or binding contract that a party has to do what they say they will. This is what happened when the province of Newfoundland and Labrador trusted Stephen Harper the first time around.

5.) Much like the ~75% of students who don't vote, I feel I had more important things to do today than head to a polling station. Make voting an online thing and we'll have a real exciting election going on.

6.) I am also exercising my right to vote by choosing to be indifferent

7.) The NDP are doing surprisingly well, and I suspect will come out on top of the Liberals this year, but in all likelihood we will not have a majority government in this election. Thus, we will be back to the drawing board of bickering and nonsense and not really get anything meaningful accomplished.

Newfiemike, I respect you, but there is absolutely NO REASON for someone NOT TO VOTE.

I don't have to list 10 magic reasons to justify that.

Politics is the least perfect thing in the world! You can't use it being imperfect as a reason not to vote. Think about what you feel is best and Vote. Period.

We live in a free society where we have the choice to elect representatives and to determine the laws with which to live by. It is a beautiful thing worth fighting and dying for. It is not a perfect system but it is as close to one as we have been able to come up with so far and it is dependent on a majority of us exercising our freedom to choose so our collective voice and wisdom can be tapped. However the most fundamental aspect of our society is the freedom and that includes the freedom to abstain. What I think it comes down to in most peoples minds is whether most people are truly exercising this right or if they are just being lazy. Either way I would rather a majority of the country didn't vote out of sheer laziness than see a single person’s freedom infringed out of some passionate, but misguided, notion of duty.

Amazing post. One thing though: you're saying we have the choice to elect representatives and to determine the laws with which to live by.

We only have the choice to elect our representatives. We have very little power over the laws.

Other than that, amazing post. Amazing.

We live in a free society where we have the choice to elect representatives and to determine the laws with which to live by. It is a beautiful thing worth fighting and dying for. It is not a perfect system but it is as close to one as we have been able to come up with so far and it is dependent on a majority of us exercising our freedom to choose so our collective voice and wisdom can be tapped. However the most fundamental aspect of our society is the freedom and that includes the freedom to abstain. What I think it comes down to in most peoples minds is whether most people are truly exercising this right or if they are just being lazy. Either way I would rather a majority of the country didn't vote out of sheer laziness than see a single person’s freedom infringed out of some passionate, but misguided, notion of duty.

With that said, I exercised my right not to vote. Honestly, I don't mind who comes into power and as long as they try their best to serve the people that is fine by me.

I don't want people telling me to vote because they feel it is our duty and that our ancestors fought for freedom.

I feel that campaigning is a waste of money and by not voting, I am voicing my opinions on this matter.

With that said, I exercised my right not to vote. Honestly, I don't mind who comes into power and as long as they try their best to serve the people that is fine by me.

I don't want people telling me to vote because they feel it is our duty and that our ancestors fought for freedom.

I feel that campaigning is a waste of money and by not voting, I am voicing my opinions on this matter.

I couldn't agree with this more. Choosing not to vote could be a message to the parties that my needs are not being addressed by any of the parties involved. If I ran an election, I would do everything in my power not to convert the die-hards, but just convince those on the fence to vote.

I couldn't agree with this more. Choosing not to vote could be a message to the parties that my needs are not being addressed by any of the parties involved. If I ran an election, I would do everything in my power not to convert the die-hards, but just convince those on the fence to vote.

I am just curious on what your specific "needs" are that are not in any way addressed by any of the parties. There are between 7-8 political parties that run in every riding with policies that completely span the political spectrum (the marxist-leninist party all the way to the christian heritage party).

Having talked to some of my friends and family, it's been a little bit discouraging to find out some of them did not vote. Granted, they all had different reasons. One is not a Canadian citizen and can not vote, and a lot of others felt like their vote wouldn't matter because they lived in a riding where the vast majority of voters would vote for another party. Ex. my sister is a follower of the green party, but lives in a conservative riding, and felt like nothing she would do would make a difference. Another person I heard of lived in an elderly home and was told to do mobile voting, which was only open for 45 minutes and she was not even told about this by her nursing home. She missed the tiny 45 minute window and they were not able to do anything for her, even though it was not her fault.

Voter turnout is atrocious right now. Here's an article that goes over the reasons why people decide not to vote:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/features/voter-turnout-canada

Under the section, "Research on non-participation" there is a table which outlines the reasons why voters do not vote, and with 52.9%, the major reason is "Just not interested." This was followed by, "Didn't like parties/candidates" in second, and then by "vote wouldn't matter."

Rather than blame the individual for not turning out to vote, I think that there needs to be a greater initiative by the government and/or party leaders to get people out to vote. In my town, besides phone calls to my home address (which were only made by one party, the NDP, and become quite annoying but really they were the only party that made an effort), the only things that tried to influence me to vote were a few signs around town by political parties [i.e. Vote __party__, Vote for __Candidate__] and my voter card that I received in the mail. That's basically it. If I wanted to find out anything about the parties, I would have to do so myself. And we wonder why some people aren't informed... Why not give pamphlets in the mail to the public outlining the different platforms? The public needs this information.

Also, the article addresses near the end that electronic voting is a viable option in order to increase voter turnout. There are many benefits, such as voting from the comfort of your own home, allowing travellers to vote, and being just plain easy. I believe the article talks about internet voting as an option, just like mailing your ballot is an option, therefore if someone is uncomfortable with voting online, they could vote another way. However, there are security risks and it is not a perfect solution, but I think that it can be a great solution one day to have internet voting.

I'm curious to know what others think? What about trying to get people interested to vote, since that seems to be the major issue? What do you think should be put in place to solve that?

I voted. Stoked on NDP being official opposition.

Voter apathy really grinds my gears. I'm not particularly interested in the nitty gritty of politics, but I DO care about who is running my country and I make sure to stay on top of the platforms and what the PM is up to.

There is a girl I post with in another forum who said she didn't vote because politics annoy her because of the signs all over her city. She also didn't know who Stephen Harper is and had to google him. Good times..

Archived