Premed 101 Forums

Anyone in or took Kinesiology?

aaronjw

Hey all,

As some of you may know (from my post) I am going back to school at the ripe old age of 35 this coming fall (or at least I hope to be lol) and I'll be taking Kinesiology at York.

I am looking to get a head start on my read material this summer and would really appreciate if anyone could outline some textbooks I can try purchasing for first year courses?

Any help is greatly appreciated. As you know, going back to school when you've been out of school is not the easiest tasks so trying to cope with refreshing my memory for various subjects - chem, physics and math would be super awesome if I can get to it this summer :>)

Cheers/A

Hey all,

As some of you may know (from my post) I am going back to school at the ripe old age of 35 this coming fall (or at least I hope to be lol) and I'll be taking Kinesiology at York.

I am looking to get a head start on my read material this summer and would really appreciate if anyone could outline some textbooks I can try purchasing for first year courses?

Any help is greatly appreciated. As you know, going back to school when you've been out of school is not the easiest tasks so trying to cope with refreshing my memory for various subjects - chem, physics and math would be super awesome if I can get to it this summer :>)

Cheers/A

I know that the thread above will talk about the different courses in first year for kine and some other stuff like commuting and what not... I honestly couldn't read through the remaining 4 pages to determine whether or not it specifically answers your question though...

So, I'll answer it for you in the most roundabout way I can. If you are looking for textbooks for first year courses why don't you look up the courses that you will be taking and see what textbooks they have listed as required/optional?

I know that is an option with UBC, which is where I did my undergrad. York may not tell you what textbooks are required until class starts though... I doubt that very much, but I've seen stranger things happen.

As for textbooks... I caution you on buying several textbooks for your first year courses. If you can find out what ones are required for your specific courses just focus on those ones. Usually, one textbook is enough in first year and most of your class material will compliment your specific required textbooks.

I've said that if I ever go back for a second degree it would be in Kine.

Good luck going back- I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Work hard and keep moving forward.

If you have the time (I don't know which province/uni you're looking for) but sometimes I think that you can just drop-in first year lecture/classes to see what they're like...I know that if you speak to the registrar at Mac or the student success center, they can set something like that up with a visitor's pass. Can also talk to the students, get impressions, or even the instructor.

I think this is much more effective (and I'm helping my little brother do this so that when he chooses a university, it's not based on campus tours which may be a bit misleading sometimes) and gives a better view of the program in question.

Kines classes (at least at UofC) are pretty easy. If you go to class, pay attention, and dedicate a couple days before an exam to studying you should easily pull off A's. The problem is paying attention because the lectures can be quite boring. There is no need to purchase books to get ahead because there is a lot of material and classes cover only a small section. But if you want to waste some money you can buy some exercise physiology books.. you can also check out a exercise psychology book as well as anatomy. First year is very basic so it's a lot of memorization. Since my exams weren't cumulative, I would cram cram cram and forget the material the next day. But like my exercise psych prof said "What do you want out of this class? Just good grades or an education as well?" For me it was the former..

Kines classes (at least at UofC) are pretty easy. If you go to class, pay attention, and dedicate a couple days before an exam to studying you should easily pull off A's. The problem is paying attention because the lectures can be quite boring. There is no need to purchase books to get ahead because there is a lot of material and classes cover only a small section. But if you want to waste some money you can buy some exercise physiology books.. you can also check out a exercise psychology book as well as anatomy. First year is very basic so it's a lot of memorization. Since my exams weren't cumulative, I would cram cram cram and forget the material the next day. But like my exercise psych prof said "What do you want out of this class? Just good grades or an education as well?" For me it was the former..

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Its more the science stuff that I am concerned with. I haven't been in any science related classes since High School (17 years ago) so I am just looking for any and all ways to bone up as much as possible.

Also recognizing my previous flaws in academics is that I typically thought I could just show up, learn what was being taught and do a bit of studying and that was enough and while true, I did well enough employing this strategy it definitely wont serve me well towards a GPA high enough for a med school application.

For the record, I want the former AND the latter :)

I know that the thread above will talk about the different courses in first year for kine and some other stuff like commuting and what not... I honestly couldn't read through the remaining 4 pages to determine whether or not it specifically answers your question though...

So, I'll answer it for you in the most roundabout way I can. If you are looking for textbooks for first year courses why don't you look up the courses that you will be taking and see what textbooks they have listed as required/optional?

I know that is an option with UBC, which is where I did my undergrad. York may not tell you what textbooks are required until class starts though... I doubt that very much, but I've seen stranger things happen.

As for textbooks... I caution you on buying several textbooks for your first year courses. If you can find out what ones are required for your specific courses just focus on those ones. Usually, one textbook is enough in first year and most of your class material will compliment your specific required textbooks.

I've said that if I ever go back for a second degree it would be in Kine.

Good luck going back- I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Work hard and keep moving forward.

Thanks for your reply as well!

I'll try finding some of the textbooks on the York website and if that fails I'll call or email the program coordinator. I don't want all of them, just the science related ones to bone up on for the reasons listed above.

Given my athletic, powerlifting and athletic related background I felt this was the best program for me as if my GPA isn't high enough fro a med school application I could easily apply this towards either higher education or into the work force in many ways (especially given my corporate background).

Cheers/Aaron

You know, aaron, if you're looking for a way to bone up on the science, why not pick up some of the MCAT books? Many of them are written so that you can approach it with no knowledge at all. I hadn't taken physics or chem in years and I found it easy to understand and follow.

I really like the examkrackers books, and the whole set should run you about $100-150, I think. The audio osmosis- you can load it onto your iPod and listen in the gym. It's a great introduction.

You know, aaron, if you're looking for a way to bone up on the science, why not pick up some of the MCAT books? Many of them are written so that you can approach it with no knowledge at all. I hadn't taken physics or chem in years and I found it easy to understand and follow.

I really like the examkrackers books, and the whole set should run you about $100-150, I think. The audio osmosis- you can load it onto your iPod and listen in the gym. It's a great introduction.

That's a FANTASTIC idea! I did not know that was their intended purpose or that you would use them in such a fashion.

Awesome! I will explore that idea!!!

Thank you.

Hey all,

Cheers/A

Hey, I'm in Kinesiology at York so maybe I can answer some of your questions.

First year biology has traditionally used Exploring the Diversity of Life. It isn't very helpful for tests, but if you want to read up a bit on some of the general topics to freshen up, it'd be a good start. (Note: I can sell you my textbook if you'd like)

First year chemistry uses General Chemistry.

First year calculus (the easier one, I hear) uses Calculus for Biology and Medicine.

First year physics depends on the prof, I believe, but the 1410 course uses Fundamentals of Physics 9E Extended.

Overall though, you can even use highschool textbooks if you want to freshen up your knowledge in these courses because most of the evaluations are from lectures alone, especially in the Kine upper year courses like Human Physiology. I don't usually even buy textbooks unless I know I will absolutely require them (ie. when i have to do many practice problems). The libraries also always have them on reserve so you can borrow them for a couple hours at a time if you REALLY wanted to read a chapter or two, so it works out.

...and as kylamonkey pointed out, the MCAT books are a really good place to start.

same kyla, i didn't have ne physics when i wrote the mcat but examcrackers makes it so simple from scratch

Hey, I'm in Kinesiology at York so maybe I can answer some of your questions.

First year biology has traditionally used Exploring the Diversity of Life. It isn't very helpful for tests, but if you want to read up a bit on some of the general topics to freshen up, it'd be a good start. (Note: I can sell you my textbook if you'd like)

First year chemistry uses General Chemistry.

First year calculus (the easier one, I hear) uses Calculus for Biology and Medicine.

First year physics depends on the prof, I believe, but the 1410 course uses Fundamentals of Physics 9E Extended.

Overall though, you can even use highschool textbooks if you want to freshen up your knowledge in these courses because most of the evaluations are from lectures alone, especially in the Kine upper year courses like Human Physiology. I don't usually even buy textbooks unless I know I will absolutely require them (ie. when i have to do many practice problems). The libraries also always have them on reserve so you can borrow them for a couple hours at a time if you REALLY wanted to read a chapter or two, so it works out.

...and as kylamonkey pointed out, the MCAT books are a really good place to start.

Wow!! thanks a ton for this!!

Since you're in Kinesiology at York... how do you like it? Any tips for me going into first year?

I have a solid background in athletics, exercise science and athletic nutrition (having trained more than a few athletes and bodybuilders outside of my career -- no, I'm not a personal trainer) so hopefully that will help me out some.

Thanks again :)

Wow!! thanks a ton for this!!

Since you're in Kinesiology at York... how do you like it? Any tips for me going into first year?

I have a solid background in athletics, exercise science and athletic nutrition (having trained more than a few athletes and bodybuilders outside of my career -- no, I'm not a personal trainer) so hopefully that will help me out some.

Thanks again :)

Just stay focused is really all I can say, but I don't see that being an issue for you. Some of the kine classes in first year aren't as "science" based (eg. Kine 1000) so just try and get as involved as you can in tutorials for those types of courses.

It's good that you have that background because as you get into the higher years, a lot of the courses are directly related to exercise and human movement/training. Your background will help with many of the core courses such as Anatomy, Biomechanics, Human Nutrition, Exercise Physiology.

Enjoy the pkins too! They're one of the perks of being in Kine.

Archived