Premed 101 Forums

Dump question, different between PT and OT

hi there!

I wish i could help but im also in the process of figuring out the definite differences between OT and PT... I know that they are not the same but they are also similar at the same time...theyre should be a sticky on that...and also there are not a lot of info on the net about the respective careers :(

anways, here is what i found on the caot website :

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between occupational therapy and physiotherapy?

pic_ocos_078.jpg occupational therapists help patients learn to perform all types of activities, from using a computer to caring for daily needs such as dressing, cooking, and eating.Occupational therapists often work alongside physiotherapists, as part of a team of health professionals. Just as physical therapists use physical exercise and modalities to treat physical movement dysfunction, occupational therapists use and adapt occupations to treat or prevent occupational dysfunction due to physical, mental or environmental factors.

pic_ocos_080.jpg Physiotherapy is a health care profession directed at evaluating, maintaining and restoring physical function (Canadian Physiotherapy Association, 1999). Occupational therapy is a health profession that looks at physical function too but in terms of how it affects your ability to do the things that are important to you and your occupations. Occupational therapists also have the knowledge and training to work with people with a mental illness or emotional problems such as depression and/or stress.

Thx, that's helpful.

If someone could give some insights about the difference in terms of day to day work, that'd be great? I still feel that answer is kinda vague, its like saying they are pretty much the same but using different knowledge??

OTs focous more on function such as activities of daily living while PTs focus more on muscle groups, optimal motor pathways. OTs can use any type of treatment (eg. a stool so patients can reach their shelves), while PTs use a more limited scope of treatment (manual manipulation, exercises, ultrasound, etc.). Most PTs also use acupuncture now.

All this info is from shadowing PTs and OTs so I'm not sure it's general enough for your question.

Archived