Premed 101 Forums

Canadian vs American Medical School Education

How do the top, mid and bottom tier American schools rank up with Ontario schools, in terms of quality of education?

Explain your definition of quality education?

I think most schools will provide you with the opportunity to become a competent physician. The top-tiers provide you with more research opportunities and higher chance of landing into competitive residencies...

You will get the same education where ever you go. All canada/us schools are monitored by LCME to ensure competent educational quality.

Aside from that point, here's a food for thought.... when was the last time you asked your doctor where he/she went to medical school? Would the answer change your decision making? In the end, it doesn't matter (aside from the actual doctors themselves who seem to have varying degree of superiority complex each and every last one of them).

Early and more rigorous patient contact: some school has students seeing patients in first year, prepares you better for residency (arguably)

Better technology, research

But again, I would argue that Ontario schools are better since it is cheaper :P and you dont have to worry about matching at all

Why? Becaue of the more rigorous training in the basic sciences? (embryo histo path anatomy pharm micro)

I went to a middle-upper tier med school in the US (Northwestern), and did FM at U of Alberta.

Med school was a lot more rigorous for me than what I saw at UofA. I probably came out a better physician because of it. I was in the bottom quartile at Northwestern. I was top 25% in almost all my rotations at UofA (at least that's what my evaluations reflected and end of rotation discussions with rotation directors told me).

However, quality probably varies across US schools. Less variation in Canadian schools but there probably is still some. My friend trained in peds at UCLA--thought we were a lot more rigorous than the education at UCLA.

More opportunities, networks and flexibility.

Ditto. Although I'm still a premed, many of my family members are physicians both in Canada and the US. From what they've told me, it depends on what you want to do, and where you want to end up practicing.

If you are looking to end up with and academic position somewhere down the road, go to the US for the reasons Dubzter mentioned. However, if you just want to be a clinician, it doesn't really matter.

Also, if you want to end up practicing in the US, going to a US school might prep you better for the USMLE.

My 2 cents.:)

Archived