Premed 101 Forums

Premed through Undergrad

Please correct me if I am wrong, the two paths to become a doctor are :

1. Cegep -> Undergrade -> PreMed -> Med

2. Cegep -> PreMed -> Med

So if I take the first path, I will waste 3 years of my life for the undergrade?

And if I still don't make it, I will have to make another undergrade and waste another 3 years?

By the time I become a doctor, I might be 40 years old?

At Mcgill, you go straight into medical school after a 3-yr undergrad. So you "skip" pre-med.

Straight from cegep you have to do pre-med (at Mcgill).

However some universities in QC require you to do pre-med even after an undergrad if that undergrad is not in a program/major related to medicine (they have a specific list of programs that allow you to skip the pre-med year).

1. Cegep (2 years) --> Med (4/5 years) Sherbrooke and Laval

2. Cegep (2 years) --> Premed (1 year) --> Med (4 years) McGill and Montréal

3. Cegep (2 years) --> Incomplete Undergrad (1/2 years) --> Prémed (1 year) --> Med (4 years) Montréal

5. Cegep (2 years) --> Incomplete Undergrad (1/2 years) --> Med (4 years) Sherbrooke, dunno for Laval

6. Cegep (2 years) --> Undergrad (3 years) --> Med (4 years) McGill, some programs for Montréal, Sherbrooke, Laval, rest of Canada

7. Cegep (2 years) --> Undergrad (3 years) --> Graduate studies --> Med

8. Cegep --> Undergrad/Graduate --> Work --> Med through non-traditional pathway McGill

And many more. So you first path is incorrect: you don't need to do premed if you've completed an undergrad except at UdeM if your program is not related to medicine/health sciences. You also don't need to do another undergrad, you can just do graduate studies. And yeah, you might graduate at 40 years old.

Archived