Premed 101 Forums

No Progress!

Guest paulyg23

Guest paulyg23

I just wanted some advice from those who have written the MCAT. My situation is that I completed most of my first and second year university courses about five years ago and have been studying for the MCAT since December. I have written three practice MCATs in the last few weeks (all timed) and keep getting 8/9's in all the sections. Is it best just to keep doing practice exams and go over principles or study for a while and so on. I still have 5 practice exams left to do but am wondering if I will all of a sudden start getting 10's and 11's....???

Guest Liana

My best advice for you would be ignore the practice exams for awhile, and focus on really getting to know the course material in the science sections. Practice exams are good for giving you an idea of the time and where you stand, but you already know that; take a 2 week break away from the practice exams, really focus in on understanding the concepts (and maybe try and get ahold of some information from people who have taken the prep courses, regarding special techniques for doing the verbal section, like reading the questions before you read the article, or underlining, etc). If you take some time just to build your knowledge, when you go back and do your next practice test, you should have acquired enough knowledge to be able to make at least a minor difference in your mark.

Also, if you haven't done so already, take a look at which questions you were getting wrong in old tests. Is there a consistent area, like physiology, or organic chem? If so, then you know to focus in on that area. Otherwise, you can always take the questions you got wrong, and do a short review section in every area you're not totally cool with yet (eg, the kidney, genetics, lenses, etc etc).

Good luck!

Guest paulyg23

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get some good studying in for at least a week. There are only just over three weeks until the mcat so I will try and write more exams after studying for a while first. I do have the Kaplan book to go on which is pretty good. Your comment about the verbal reasoning caught my eye - did you read the questions first? I haven't done that much because I thought it slowed me down. Not a big deal. Thanks again. By the way - is anyone else writing the april MCAT?? I feel like I am the only one in the Lower Mainland...

Archived