Premed 101 Forums

your high school grades?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, like psychowim above, pulled off a 95.7% in Gr. 12. Won the Governor General's Bronze Award.

That means nothing though. It's just a number with some nice memories now. The tough times I have had along the way since Gr. 12 have been great lessons and have helped shape who I am today.

What matters the most is how well you can do in each and every uni year. Just work hard, stay balanced, and DO NOT quit!

I dunno, good but not what I could have done. A's and B's, always on the honour roll, etc... through high school and early college I squandered most of my attention on pretty useless things like video games and dungeons and dragons. I don't entirely regret it, because I seem to have done fine, but I do kinda wish I'd had more attention span.

Equal mix of Bs and As. There might be some Cs....can't remember I started HS 9 yrs ago. Although high school mark really doesn't matter and is not a good predictor. Some people with 90s in HS get 3.3cgpas in uni.

Hmm I think I had around 97% average through high school lol... got the governor general's bronze medal in my last year. I was a nerd ;)

Thats cause you're a MedP. :P (get ready for this throughout med)

I'm curious about those of you who had high grades, how many of you had role models to help you understand the importance of getting good marks?

I was an average student who luckily got into University the first time because I was good at playing a sport. Had it not been for that I am sure I would not have been accepted.

There are a number of reasons for my poor academic performance but the one I really was the lack of role models in helping me understand why school was important. We all heard the "get good marks so you can get a good job" speech but for me that wasn't exemplified by those I knew - meaning a lot of people I knew who didn't have good grades or dropped out were doing well and successful in the careers they were in and then I knew some people who did get good grades but weren't successful and yes of course I knew people who got crap grades and weren't successful.

I know now that I am older what the power of role models can do for kids. I try to be this person to the kids I coach, helping realize there is a life out there for you if you want it but it doesn't come from standing on a street corner "hanging out". So I'm curious to know who had'em and who didn't :)

My dad is brilliant.. I think he'd finished his first undergrad by 18 or something, then he studied law, got a masters and was one of the highest placed prosecutors at the ministry of justice when he retired 2-3 years ago. So maybe unconsciously he was a role model, but I never really had to try that hard for grades.

Good grades just came naturally to me, from my first year of elementary school on. I could have skipped 1 or 2 years in elem school but my parents preferred I stay with kids my own age. And it stayed that way through high school, cegep and uni. I mean, yeah I study, but I remember a girl competing with me for the highest grades in our high school year, and she was spending entire weekends studying which I would never have done even if it meant slightly lower marks.

On the other hand, I am a perfectionist in most everything I do, as is my sister and both my parents. I always had the inner motivation to do well.

My sister, even though she's really bright, had very difficult years in school when she was younger. She was disinterested, just didn't care so she ended up failing multiple classes in cegep (who fails arts??). Eventually she realized what was happening and she sharpened up. 2 degrees later she just wrote her Bar exams 2 weeks ago and is waiting on the results!

I agree with you models are important :)

Very cool Para D!! I got an NSERC too for my 2 years of PhD. I agree with you it's a lot about timing and interest.

John - jobs aren't so bad depending on who you want to work for. My sister wants to do criminal law, and I think she most likely will end up with a governmental agency, be it provincial in Gatineau, or ministry of justice in Ottawa. She's following my dad's footsteps. Though I think once she's passed her Bars (and she's really scared), she might take a break to have a baby! I'm old lol!!

Being an advocate in criminal court for the Crown is the very best springboard for a legal career (and for building up confidence and experfience quickly). Many such lawyers often switch sides after a decade or more and make a financial killing in white collar crime defence.

True. But if there's one thing I know about her it's that she'll never switch sides to defense ;) She won't even consider it for her Bars stage. She's never been about money (and neither am I), and her BF is a pharmacist so it's not a huge deal for her.

In the end.. just proves high school doesn't necessarily mean anything! Yeah some people are always good, others just aren't ready yet. Same as why some people start med school at 18, while others like me start in their thirties :)

i had a 90 in gr 12 and then pretty consistant marks in uni... maybe a 5% drop? My work ethic hasn't changed much.... slack slack slack slack, study study, exam, work work, assignment slack slack slack slack :)

Minimum effort for maximum reward is my motto

Missed the Western 95% scholarship cut off by 0.4%. Did really well in first year western 3.97 (biology was not my thing...), then got into pharmacy and totally got disillusioned by first and second year. Stopped caring more and more... Failed a course and had to write the supplemental. Granted, I took the MCAT the day before. Finished with a cGPA of 3.65 (or something).

Hence, I got into med school by luck.

HS: right around 90%, nothing under 85...not much over 95

UTSG 4 years: right around 85%

High school doesn't predict much...all dependent on how hard you work, where you go, and what you study...as well as being healthy and (hopefully) no serious health troubles within the family...that can really put a lot of stress on what is already a difficult process.

Archived