Premed 101 Forums

your high school grades?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graduated high school with ~75% average, high 80's in math as my best marks, worst mark was physics with a high 60. Went to a technical college and got a diploma (3.92 GPA), worked in the trades for 3 years, decided I wanted to do medicine, never took biology in high school so I had to upgrade through night courses, got 98% in Bio 20 and 96% in Bio 30. Got into uni and busted out a 4.0 in my first semester, the rest is recent history.

Motivation is the key, I never cared about school or marks until I realized it was necessary to get where I wanted to be. On the one hand I'm disappointed I never cared more during high school, on the other hand I'm very happy I taught myself to care when it mattered.

I didn't study or do homework... I was a skater/musician that didn't think he would ever need school. I still wound up with honors with grades rarely falling below 80, because i tried to pay attention in class so that I could beat my girlfriend (now wife) and impress her.

Worked one year of framing and thought a lot about doing medicine. Took HS physics in night school - 99%, took HS chem in nightschool -98% both while working ~50 hrs/week framing and big time commuting.

Started university a year after grad from HS and kept up the high 90s. It is incredible how much motivation plays into grades. Some classes are fairly easy to coast through with good grades, but other classes I will sit in the library from 6:30am until 1:30am studying for for a final exam.

Highschool marks don't really mean all that much... My "smarter" highschool friends turned into 3.3-3.7 ish university students. Meanwhile myself and another of my friends who were the "slackers" in HS did much better in uni. Obviously there are some who will always do good or not so good, but it all depends on how bad you want the grades.

I had similar trends in HS and Uni.

Started HS with grades around ~80 in first year, but by my last year I was getting all 90+. My rankable average was 94%.

3.4 in first year Uni, but by my last year I was getting 4.0s.

I don't think motivation was actually much of a factor for me. I was always pretty motivated to do well. I think, for me, it was a matter of approaching studying and test taking correctly. I always studied and did my best, but sometimes I went about it wrong. It took me awhile to start doing exactly what I was told to do in HS, but then the study techniques I had used in HS were largely ineffective in university (combined with the fact that I had poor class selection in earlier years, giving me a couple bad classes that were dragging down an otherwise great semester).

Archived