Premed 101 Forums

Course Selection

muss92

Hi guys :)

I was just wondering, for those of you who are accepted or who already thought about it, what courses are you considering to choose in your Med-P year?

And, for those of you who already went through your prep year, were there any courses that you specially liked/disliked?

There are so many options, I have a feeling that it's gonna take some time choosing.

I like the Psychology & Neuroscience track, but I don't know whether it's better to take some standard Biology courses to broaden my fundamental knowledge before MDCM.

You'll have a chance to get the 'Medguide'. It has almost all the reviews for the courses in the curriculum, so you know which ones are better/easier/interesting to help you make your decision. There's teacher evaluation, marking scheme, workload, etc. It really helps to choose easier or more interesting courses, depending on what you are looking for.

You'll get the info for that on the Yahoo group.

I'm really not aware of all the possibilities, but i'd really like to take computer science classes :D

If you choose to do that, I think I've completed each of those classes during my BSC in comp science there lol! If you need more info maybe I can help.

I know a few profs... Doina Precup is weird but pretty good with ok exams, had her in AI. However, unless you enjoy writing 4 hours of exam material in only 2-3 hours, I strongly suggest you avoid Joseph Vybihal! Looks like he's teaching 206 at both semesters. I took 273 with Michael Langer.. he's a good prof too. That class is really interesting, low level coding (assembly language and all), but not the easiest. I enjoyed it tho.

If you choose to do that, I think I've completed each of those classes during my BSC in comp science there lol! If you need more info maybe I can help.

I know a few profs... Doina Precup is weird but pretty good with ok exams, had her in AI. However, unless you enjoy writing 4 hours of exam material in only 2-3 hours, I strongly suggest you avoid Joseph Vybihal! Looks like he's teaching 206 at both semesters. I took 273 with Michael Langer.. he's a good prof too. That class is really interesting, low level coding (assembly language and all), but not the easiest. I enjoyed it tho.

Ohhh AWESOME!!! Do you know if I can take classes with people that are actually doing a BSC in comp science? my friend is going there! that'd be wicked!

I'm a noob at programming but I think it's sounds really interesting! So hopefully there will be beginner classes! What are the names of the classes though? Codes don't tell me much.

To add to what over9000 said, most students in pre-med take the physiology, anatomy and cell bio science track, since it is somewhat similar to med 1. But again, pre-med is a good chance to broaden your horizons, so studying other things that also interest you may be a good idea.

I think that a good balance would be taking a science track that prepares you for med 1, and then taking an elective in something that you really like, even if the course is difficult (you can take the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for it instead of getting grades, so it won't influence your gpa).

But those classes aren't credited in med 1 though right? And if I don't do them I will be ok? (maybe a little more lost, but I can probably deal with that)

I dunno I just wanna do so many things LOL I wanna try everything!!! *crazy person*

Ohhh AWESOME!!! Do you know if I can take classes with people that are actually doing a BSC in comp science? my friend is going there! that'd be wicked!

I'm a noob at programming but I think it's sounds really interesting! So hopefully there will be beginner classes! What are the names of the classes though? Codes don't tell me much.

I assume so? It doesn't look like your med-P program is too limited on schedule, and some of these are classes anyone in the arts & science fac can take.

202 - Intro to computing: used to be basic Java learning, pretty nice

206 - Intro to software systems: I did that class with Vibyhal, probably the most fun of all. When I took it, we basically built an online store with html coding, c code to manage the inventory, cgi to buy online and so on. Final exam was crazy though as we had to write all parts of that by hand.

250 - Intro to computer science: also Java programming, but applying to algorithms

251 - Data structures and algorithms: I don't have a folder with assignments so I'm thinking more theory based algorithms? I don't really remember.

273 - Intro to computer systems: assembly language, logic gates... Very far from what you think about programming, lowest level of what is 'or', 'and' and so on. You write assembly code to add 2 numbers, completely different! It's a bit hardcore though interesting.

Keep in mind I'm going based on descriptions, and what they were like 10 years ago! And yes I still have my assignments from that time on my computer lol

Also I enjoyed the 2 math courses as well, but more so calc 3.

I assume so? It doesn't look like your med-P program is too limited on schedule, and some of these are classes anyone in the arts & science fac can take.

202 - Intro to computing: used to be basic Java learning, pretty nice

206 - Intro to software systems: I did that class with Vibyhal, probably the most fun of all. When I took it, we basically built an online store with html coding, c code to manage the inventory, cgi to buy online and so on. Final exam was crazy though as we had to write all parts of that by hand.

250 - Intro to computer science: also Java programming, but applying to algorithms

251 - Data structures and algorithms: I don't have a folder with assignments so I'm thinking more theory based algorithms? I don't really remember.

273 - Intro to computer systems: assembly language, logic gates... Very far from what you think about programming, lowest level of what is 'or', 'and' and so on. You write assembly code to add 2 numbers, completely different! It's a bit hardcore though interesting.

Keep in mind I'm going based on descriptions, and what they were like 10 years ago! And yes I still have my assignments from that time on my computer lol

Also I enjoyed the 2 math courses as well, but more so calc 3.

Oh oh I know HTML! LOL I think I wanna try Java, also C++!! I think that class sounds real interesting I'll read up about it.

THANKS a lot JamesNixon for that site!! I'm gonna start going through it now!! LOL I'mm too excited for this **** it's not normal.

Oh oh I know HTML! LOL I think I wanna try Java, also C++!! I think that class sounds real interesting I'll read up about it.

THANKS a lot JamesNixon for that site!! I'm gonna start going through it now!! LOL I'mm too excited for this **** it's not normal.

lol!! I got those courses off the page JamesNixon linked to. I don't think any of those touch C++, only C. But if you know C and Java, C++ is a little like a combination of the 2 except it's so much better than Java ;) But don't try to argue with a Java fanboy!! I've never really liked Java.. besides those 2 classes and AI I always used C/C++ for everything I did later on.

I think it's normal you're excited... I'm excited as well and I don't even have a single elective to pick!

I dunno I just wanna do so many things LOL I wanna try everything!!! *crazy person*

I feel the exact same way.

I know it'd be smart to get a little serious prep for med 1, but I really really want to try something else before plunging into the rest of my university life. That sounds so cliché. :o

• 2 weeks later...

You can see all the classes and make some schedule on your own to get ready to register on the first minute the registration opens. Since a lot of classes fill up rapidly... take the CRNs in note and just do "quick add" on Minerva

Archived