Premed 101 Forums

master's degree? or research assistant jobs?

preppy038

Hey guys,

I just graduated from undergrad and am waiting on responses from some waitlists.

As a backup plan, I was looking into some research jobs and master's degree programs that I could do for the next two years. I plan on applying next year so I am looking for opportunities to fit in between.

As a side to either a job or a master's degree, I also plan on volunteering at hospitals and at community centres in addition to continuing some of my ec commitments.

I can't seem to decide which one would benefit more for my application to med school next year. Getting a research job would help me save up some money for med school and give me a bit of experience. Getting a master's degree allows me to go fullout for publications and possibly get a single or two. But I'm worried that having a msc degree would mean higher expectations from some medical schools upon application (I would need to show my high productivity in research for the extra points ill get plus more reference letters).

What do u guys think?

Thanks in advance

Well, unless you've already applied and were accepted to a masters program, that option is off the table for the 2011-2012 year since application deadlines past months ago. So if you have not already been accepted, you would be starting in fall 2012.

As a general suggestion, don't do anything just to improve your med applications - especially research. Admissions committees can probably tell pretty easily what activities you did because you like them and which activities you did just for the application. Unless you actually like research, you'll really hate a masters degree, and the committees will probably see that.

You mention your application needs work, but I disagree since you were waitlisted. At that point, it all comes down to the interview. In any case, here's my thoughts on a MSc and an RA spot:

A masters won't help your application unless you are in your final year, I.e. you have some publications and graduate transcripts to show. Also, some schools won't even accept your med application if you're a first year grad student (I.e. UofT, UBC). They want proof that you'll be done by July 1st or something like that.

A Research Assistantship is something you can throw on the CV, but to me if you're going to be doing research anyways you might as well just do the MSc. Plus, payed RA spots aren't always easy to find.

At the end o the day, your application is marked according to the same scheme as everyone else (unless your a grad student applying to UofT - then you are compared to other grad students). A MSc can give you bonus points at some school when completed, but that's 2-3 years away. An RA spot is immediate and could get you a 2nd, 3rd etc author paper if you're lucky.

First, you need to ask yourself whether or not you really enjoy research, because an MSc is a big commitment. If you have done an Honours degree, or worked in a lab in the summer you know a bit what you could expect. Then multiply that work and commitment by ~ 4.24. Greater expectations and independence are required, but I think it is something that can really help prepare you for whatever you decide to do afterward (I might be slightly biased)

For an MSc, depending where you want to go and what you want to do, there are still schools that will accept an application now. For instance, Dal Biochem is June for entering in September, you can also start at other times of the year, such as January or April, depending on when you apply. I think you should check the school and department that you are interested in to see when their deadlines are.

1. MSc are usually longer than a year depending on what kind of MSc it is, and like the above poster said, schools won't accept your medicine application unless you are finished before the class would commence. I'm not aware of any in Canada that would accept a student who was working on their grad degree - they don't do this because it is a huge commitment by the supervisor in money and time to take on a student and train them.

2. MSc gets you points in multiple ways - demonstrates commitment, maturity etc, you COULD get publications which means bonus points on apps, and some schools give you points just for having an MSc. Others also calculate your GPA differently.

3. Research Assistantships may be hard to find, but I would think you would have to be pretty lucky (depending on the field) to get any publications in a year. So you wouldn't get bonus points for having a grad degree and you might not have any pubs to show for it.

My advice would be to figure out if research is really for you, go talk to some profs that you would consider doing an MSc with to see if you like the project they have to offer (and details of the program,etc), and move forward with apps from there if you think it is for you. Who knows, by the time that process is done, you might have a Med offer in hand!

If you don't ever get in to medicine, you open up more doors with an MSc or you could always switch to a PhD and do even more.

Good Luck!

I'm not sure if this is true for others schools, but I was in the exact same position as you. I had completed an honours thesis project, and decided in august I wanted to do the masters. I spoke to my supervisor and registered as a m.sc. student right away, even though deadlines had passed months ago. It wasn't much of a hassle at all.

I do know of other students who decided to to an m.sc. and started working in the lab doing research for the fall semester, and officially started in the spring.

Just because deadlines have passed doesn't mean you can't start this september. Contact potential supervisors and go from there, graduate deadlines (at my school anyway and others I've heard about) are definitely not firm.

Thanks a lot for all of your input guys.

I am still in sort of a dilemma. Like osteon and doctor said, going for a master's degree would be beneficial since I will get a chance to have first-author publications out. I am currently working at a lab right now and it is definitely possible for me to continue this project for a master's degree.

Getting a research assistantship position is good because I would not have that much of a commitment to the actual project itself. So, I can take time doing other stuff like volunteering and getting other experiences (also can save up more for med school).

I did also finish my honours project with a prof who I did another summer with so I am definitely interested in research.

:S Is there anything that I need to keep in mind if I decide to do a master's degree? (I know UofT requires more ref letters, and having a grad degree isn't necessarily better since you compete with other people with grad degrees. Also, I know I need to finish my master's before getting into med school).

Archived