Premed 101 Forums

Any regrets?

Hi,

I am a premed student, and I red few articles that stipulate that a good proportion of med students and residents have regrets and would choose another career if they had to start over.

Medicine is my main goal, but now I am doing a nursing degree and I LOVE it. But now, I hear all the time from nurses that doctors don't get to see patients for more than 2 minutes, they work like hell, they don't have time for themselves, etc.

I would really appreciate to have honnest answers about this question: do you regret your choice of going to med school? Or if not, do you know some students requestionning their choice?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I only start premed in the fall, but having spent 8 years in school in computer science (BSc, MSc, 2 years of PhD), I'll say that I think there are people that "regret", reconsider their choices in any career/field. I mean I loved my school program, but I realized it was not what I really wanted. I knew a lady who was an MD, and she decided in her late 30s she wanted to become an engineer instead and went back to school.

In residency, no regrets at any time. But the answer is individual and the points you brought up difficult to generalize.. medicine and nursing are such broad fields, and depending on where you end up, there are going to be jobs that are extremely busy and others that are more relaxed in both.

Regrets? Maybe. I'm not really sure. I'll be 34 when I start my practice, and will have had 10 years of medical training at that point. I'm getting close and starting to see the end of the tunnel, but it is a long haul. I really love my job, but you put alot of things on hold when you're in training for 10 years. Within medicine, all fields are certainly not equal in terms of one's ability to have a life outside of work, that is for sure, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I guess my advice would be similar to what I tell medical students considering surgery (and what I was told going into surgery) - if you could do something else and be happy do it. If you can't, then be a surgeon (or doctor in this case). There are easier ways to make a living, but I for one can't picture myself doing anything else.

Not having even started med school yet, I can't address the topic personally, but I suspect the majority of people with deep regrets come from the people who devoted their lives from high school into getting into medicine to the exclusion of all else. In my experience, few people enjoy their "first job" all that much. First jobs, and maybe seconds and thirds, are for trying out the field. If you are worried, Alia, you should consider your own personal knowledge and experience and think about what you have liked and what you have not. See if the things you like are available in medicine; see if what you don't like is a problem.

To make this anecdotal: I have been a teacher, a researcher, a cabinet installer, and a service employee. From my jobs, I know that I like working with the public, and I love giving advice from a position of expertise, but I don't really mind my advice being disregarded (I mean, of course I mind, but not in a crippling way). I know that I love solving problems, but they don't necessarily have to be new problems every single time. I don't mind repetition as long as once in a while something new and interesting comes along. I love using my memory, more than almost anything in fact. And I don't like working in highly political environments (ie. almost all large workplaces >.<). I know that I'm poor at self directed work, but I'm good if there is a clear deadline or if the work comes to me. I also have a pretty poor attention span, but I'm good at jumping into a situation and making snap judgments. I've determined this stuff by practice and experience. I know from this that I'd be a crap surgeon, but I think I'd be fine as a family doctor. I'll probably do better if I work in my own practice or in a small clinic; in a hospital I imagine the politics would drive me crazy. From what I've done I can synthesise what I think is a pretty accurate picture of how much I will enjoy work as a doctor. I'm sure it won't be utopia, but it really matches well with what I have enjoyed about my other jobs.

You should do a similar breakdown of your strengths and weaknesses from your experiences, and see if they fit with medicine. Knowing yourself is the key to making decisions.

no regrets

i think a large proportion of the people who regret it are those whose parents have pushed them into it from a young age... of these, some will enjoy it regardless... some will hate it from the beginning, but continue to appease their parents... and others will think they enjoy it, enjoy the pride of getting in, enjoy the fact that they are working towards a very well-respected and pretty well-paid career, but eventually admit to themselves that it is not really their passion, and they will end up unhappy... if you aren't passionate about medicine, or some subset of medicine, it is a bad idea to go into it because the amount of work/stress that you have to put into it won't be worth it... and when i say passionate, i mean that medicine as a whole, or certain aspects or subsets of medicine actually excite you... a lot of people (again, many of those who are 'pushed' into it), convince themselves that they have a passion for medicine, just because they are so passionate about getting in / the competition... but the two are not the same

There have been a few people in my class that have already dropped out. Its kinda shocking but yea I guess people have second thoughts. Although what you've been told are sweeping generalizations. You can choose how many hours you work and how much patient time you get, etc. Part of it is the specialty you choose. But at the end of the day an MD gives you LOTS of options with what you want to do in life.

I agree - what are your reasons for wanting to pursue a medical degree vs. continuing with a career as a nurse? Not to say they aren't different, they are obviously very different, but if you are loving your nursing program why not see if you love being a nurse before applying to med school?

In response to some of the previous posts, the people I know with "deep" regrets are typically NOT people who were either "pushed into medicine by their parents", or, pursued medicine straight out of high school to the exclusion of all else. They are pretty much the exact opposite. I think the broader your interests are the more inclined you are to feel dissatisfied with the amount of time that one thing in your life takes up.

To the original poster, one huge difference between RN and MD is calling the shots. Personality-wise, many physicians (myself included) are poorly suited to not being the one in charge.

In response to some of the previous posts, the people I know with "deep" regrets are typically NOT people who were either "pushed into medicine by their parents", or, pursued medicine straight out of high school to the exclusion of all else. They are pretty much the exact opposite. I think the broader your interests are the more inclined you are to feel dissatisfied with the amount of time that one thing in your life takes up.

To the original poster, one huge difference between RN and MD is calling the shots. Personality-wise, many physicians (myself included) are poorly suited to not being the one in charge.

So true!!

The concept that people who dont like the career dont like it because they were "doing it for the glory" or "because they didnt have enough life experiences" because their "parents pushed them into it" is such an absurd, simplistic stereotype. These people dont really do any worse in medicine (at least from what I saw from my class).

People who end up with regrets are just as likely to be people who went into medicine for all the right reasons. You cant explain away medical dissatisfaction by assuming that those people shouldnt have gone to medicine in the first place. The idealism honestly gets laughably thick around here sometimes.

I couldn't find Canadian research, and I don't know if any exists, but a UK study found that first year medical school dropout rates are negatively correlated with age. Study.

The reasons may not be the ones we've given, of course. As I said, I was stating my suspicion, not anything I know for fact.

Thanks so much to all of you for your sincere comments.

Of course, I won't find THE answer in one day.

Nursing is appealing to me because of the proximity with the patients, it's really "hands on ", and yo get to do a lot of techniques. More over, if you're tired of one department, you can change easily.

However, I know that in few years, I will be looking for more responsibilities, more leadership, etc. I know I could be a good and caring doctor.

But I am not the "workoholic" type of person, and when I ear that the average work time per week of a doctor is around 60-70, I just don't know if this is for me.

I'll wait few months, watch doctors carefully during my clinical placements, and see weather or not I would like to be in their shoes.

But I am not the "workoholic" type of person, and when I ear that the average work time per week of a doctor is around 60-70, I just don't know if this is for me.

Not all doctors work those kind of hours, it depends on what you go into, and what your priorities are. Although you should probably expect to work that and possibly more in clerkship/residency for a few years.

Yes, the hours can be very long, and everyone goes through it in their training. You'll have to decide if you find the work meaningful enough to muster that sort of dedication. That is one difference between the typical medical and nursing job - e.g. in the OR, nurses will scrub in and out of a case so they can all take their breaks and lunch, while the surgeons continue until the case is finished.. That being said, nurses also speak of being overworked, especially with staff shortages, leading one to cover more patients than they can comfortably handle. Nurses also have opportunities for advancing in responsibility (nurse practitioner) and leadership (administration).

I guess my advice would be similar to what I tell medical students considering surgery (and what I was told going into surgery) - if you could do something else and be happy do it. If you can't, then be a surgeon (or doctor in this case). There are easier ways to make a living, but I for one can't picture myself doing anything else.

Best advice ever. Do medicine if it is the ONLY career that will make you happy. Otherwise, you're wasting too many years of your life and lots of sacrifices. Medical student debt, crazy years through residency, putting off your personal life (getting married, having children) and higher divorce rates....It's not for everyone.

Nursing is appealing to me because of the proximity with the patients, it's really "hands on ", and you get to do a lot of techniques. More over, if you're tired of one department, you can change easily.

That type of flexibility only happens in family medicine.

^This. I think the ones who have put in the time and effort, amongst my friends in medicine, are the ones who are really directed in their med school life and they enjoy it. The ones who were a bit more "oh well, I just apply to see if I can get in because being a doctor is awesome" and ironically did get in, are having a really hard time understanding why they're there and why you can't just party it out like UG, or why people need to be competitive for CARMs, etc...

Also - I think that if your parents pushed you into it, at an earlier age, and you grew up to enjoy it for other independent reasons, that's okay too.

You'll see all types in your class, I think. Better to just stay focused on yourself, and what you can achieve...

those people sort of mirror my sentiments, i don't dislike medicine, there's just a whole bunch of other stuff i'm super interested in as well. i definitely wouldn't say i regret the decision but i decided from day 1 i'm going into a lifestyle specialty so i could pursue my other interests in addition to my occupational interests.

those people sort of mirror my sentiments, i don't dislike medicine, there's just a whole bunch of other stuff i'm super interested in as well. i definitely wouldn't say i regret the decision but i decided from day 1 i'm going into a lifestyle specialty so i could pursue my other interests in addition to my occupational interests.

Im with you, and so are a lot of med students once you get to know them (beyond the superficial bs they say at first lol)

Note also though that "lifestyle specialties" really do include things like FM and anaes. (you will realize this in clerkship if you arent there yet), and not just stuff like derm and optho.

im not really interested in any of the road specialties, the 3 ive always had in mind and still do are psych or fm with maybe a plus 1 in er.

if someone handed me a derm residency i'd take it, but im not dedicated enough towards getting the residency to put the work in to get it.

Im with you, and so are a lot of med students once you get to know them (beyond the superficial bs they say at first lol)

Note also though that "lifestyle specialties" really do include things like FM and anaes. (you will realize this in clerkship if you arent there yet), and not just stuff like derm and optho.

yeah i was someone who chose medicine and after the first two years no problem never had any regrets but once clerkship came along and i actually had to be on call i slowly started to have regrets. once CTU internal medicine came along I truly could have quit then and there if it wasn't for the fact that i knew it would only last 2 months. Two of the most painful months ever...and unfortunately more of it during family medicine residency...

i think family is the hardest specialty to practice well....its so much easier to be an expert on one thing...its got the lifestyle but i definitely think being a family doctor is way more challenging than being in derm/optho.

Archived