Premed 101 Forums

Moving Waitlist

I dont understand why the In-Province university waitlist is not moving:( this is very discouraging. Does anybody have any info?

I don't have any real information but i can speculate that the waitlist should move in the event that a current MED-P does not fulfill their requirements. I've been told that decisions are made some time in June.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its mid-late june when the reviews are held. Historically, almost all med-ps were promoted (perhaps 1-2 wern't?) but last year was an exception. I'm not sure if the seat would remain unfilled or if they would pull someone off the waitlist.

Its mid-late june when the reviews are held. Historically, almost all med-ps were promoted (perhaps 1-2 wern't?) but last year was an exception. I'm not sure if the seat would remain unfilled or if they would pull someone off the waitlist.

I asked this question specifically, and Michel said that they would fill the spot with an IP candidate. However, i also recognize that IP candidates should not feel entitled to spots that a MED-P earned the previous year. It just seems odd that there hasn't been any (or much that we know of) movement on the waitlist. Does anyone have any ideas how much it has moved in the past? does McGill disclose that information?

Could it be that they are waitling to call people in bulk? Statistically speaking, it is very unlikely that there will be no movement this year, if anything, it should move more...

Is there no movement because most people have accepted their offers or because they have not yet called people? That is the question I feel we need to be asking ourselves. Does anybody know?

actually i think last year was really special :/

i heard that everyone from the waitinglist got in... even those who were not in the watinglist...

i don't know if it's true or not... i read it somewhere on this forum...

That wasn't last year. That was the year when the provincial government passed legislation (after universities has made their admission decisions) to drastically increase the number of 1st year medical seats. McGill didn't interview too many then and went panicking to fill those seats. It was reported that they called people they refused to offer a spot. Hence, now McGill interviews way more people then they need to fill those 80 seats.

Is there any hope/places left for applicants on the med-p waitlist?

Historically, there is still hope until the second week of class. The likelyhood is very slim as the days pass on but there's been stories of people not showing to orientation and McGill having to call people up to admit them in med-p in late august.

However, I'd advise you to plan according to your back-up plan for now.

Archived