Premed 101 Forums

Moving Waitlist

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Minerva account now shows the Accept/Decline status, which was not the case this morning at 8:00AM. So yes, I got the email and the change on Minerva.

I have until June 14th at 12:00.

Good luck everyone who is on the waiting list! I know how you feel and yes, it is very very stressful. I didn't think I'd be accepted since I am pretty far on the waiting list everywhere else. But don't forget that you have a wonderful summer ahead of you, and you should NOT be wasting that time.

Congrats to you too! But, if you notice in your message you wrote "unnacepted" rather than "unexpected" - I think that might be your subconscious speeking... You might have put your mind towards UdeM rather than McGill, and taken it out of your options.

I think you should go over their programs and decide which is best for you. UdeM is more concentrated on Medicine from premed on than McGill is - McGill offers courses that are not necessary to become a doctor. Plus, at UdeM everyone is given the same schedule, so all have the same chances (no one has a "better teacher", or "better course").

Anyway, whatever school you chose, you will become a doctor the same year and have a worldly-respected diploma. But please don't dwell too much on your offers, because remember that there are tons of people waiting on your answer...

Hi everyone!

I am a medp applicant and got off the waitlist today. I was admitted at udem and for the past few weeks, I have been doing a lot of reading on this school's advantages. At this point, I'm really not sure about which university is best for me. On one hand, McGill has a great reputation and is world-renowned. On the other hand, UdeM takes a more practical approach, offers earlier clinical exposure, and gets more funding for its hospitals. I also like that Udem has a program specifically designed for medps in the annee preparatoire. What are McGill's strengths apart from its reputation? Can I still improve my french at McGill (I have done all my schooling in English)? Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone!

I am a medp applicant and got off the waitlist today. I was admitted at udem and for the past few weeks, I have been doing a lot of reading on this school's advantages. At this point, I'm really not sure about which university is best for me. On one hand, McGill has a great reputation and is world-renowned. On the other hand, UdeM takes a more practical approach, offers earlier clinical exposure, and gets more funding for its hospitals. I also like that Udem has a program specifically designed for medps in the annee preparatoire. What are McGill's strengths apart from its reputation? Can I still improve my french at McGill (I have done all my schooling in English)? Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

I was (and still am) waitlisted at McGill, and accepted at UdeM. Like you, I have done much research on UdeM and came to the conclusion that UdeM is way more helpful the first year than McGill, because its courses truly prepare you for Med, plus all have the same opportunities, as you don't make your own schedule, but are rather given the same one as all the other medps. I haven't done much research on McGill, but I know that it really rides on its reputation more than anything else.. Whatever choice you make, you should make it soon, so those who are McGill hopefulls get an accetation off the waitlist soon.

Med-P year:

> 15h of class/week so you have a lot of time to do whatever you want

> 50 min/class (no more 3 hours blocks)

> recordings

> lot of opportunities (research, professors, etc.)

> small student body

> exploring other fields

MD,CM:

> lecture-based learning (recorded) for only 18 months (= Basis of Medicine, BOM)

> small groups (problem-based learning)

> pass/fail system

> anatomy labs (dissections)

> introduction to clinical medicine after the 18 months of BOM so you're in a clinical setting with all the theory. it's a smoother transition before clerkship

> MANY choices of electives (http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ugme/electives/electives_list_en.htm)

I have friends at both schools and I think that both are really great, but not the same way. For example, both have Introduction to Clinical Medicine ("ICM"). UdeM has it throughout the pre-clinical (2 years) while McGill has it only after the 18-months BOM. Maybe you'd prefer to learn the theory first then jump into the clinical OR you'd rather learn your theory while have ICM. There's more students at UdeM so you may have more chances to make new friends and I feel participation there has a higher rate (but that's just me). On the other hand, smaller student body means you have more opportunity to know everyone. I think McGill has more Interest Groups, but that's not really significant (http://studentgateway.med.mcgill.ca/clubs).

Regardless of funding, the MUHC is going to be done before the CHUM haha :P And yeah, you'll have plenty of opportunities to improve your French as more than half of the medps are francophones, and later on, since you're in Montreal, you'll get francophones in the hospital too.

I you're looking to improve your french, I doubt that there will be opportunities to do so at McGill. I was from a french HS, but went to an english Cegep, and only spoke english there - even with francophone friends - because it gets akward and confusing when so many people are talking different languages with each other. Plus, at McGill the terminology is english for sure.

I you're looking to improve your french, I doubt that there will be opportunities to do so at McGill. I was from a french HS, but went to an english Cegep, and only spoke english there - even with francophone friends - because it gets akward and confusing when so many people are talking different languages with each other. Plus, at McGill the terminology is english for sure.

I don't know about this one:confused: I talked to a few Med-P students and they all told me that most of the time, they speak French together:p I guess it depends...

Indeed, the French-English mix leads to strange situations. We learn all the scientific terminology in English, still, we mix it up with French words.

" Je comprend pas pourquoi qu'en cas de Kidney Failure, ton blood pressure va etre altérée et encore moins ton blood pH... "

Archived