Premed 101 Forums

Interviews & Ranking

Hi !

I know that a candidate can rank a program without having been interviewed there.

I was wondering if people have actual experiences of matching to a program where they did not have an interview... It seems very unlikely, but the CaRMS person who was explaining the process to our class did not seem to see this as too much of a long-shot.

Any insight would be appreciated !

Thank you

Firstly, for many programs the interview is mandatory. Read the fine print in the program descriptions.

Secondly, I was always under the impression that in order to match to a program they also needed to have your name on their rank list. What are the odds they are going to have your name on their shortlist if you have not even interviewed?

The only way I can see this working is for some rural FM program which never fills their spots who decides to rank almost every applicant with the hope of filling up their program.

Firstly, for many programs the interview is mandatory. Read the fine print in the program descriptions.

Secondly, I was always under the impression that in order to match to a program they also needed to have your name on their rank list. What are the odds they are going to have your name on their shortlist if you have not even interviewed?

The only way I can see this working is for some rural FM program which never fills their spots who decides to rank almost every applicant with the hope of filling up their program.

UBC FM does not require an interview - and there's only one interview for all of their sites, whether remote rural or popular urban. But considering they also do not require you to do any on-site electives, I also wonder how they could reasonably rank you highly if they've never spoken to you and don't have any statements about you from trustworthy colleagues in the region. Seems like you'd want to show your face to someone there, whether via an elective or an interview!

But yes, I'm also curious about this. If you are cash-strapped, it's certainly nice to avoid shelling out $1000+ for an interview.

I was under the impression that this was only UBC FM...If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear it.

They also offer skyped interviews which was very useful and saved some of my classmates lots of $$

For the most part though, the people I know who actually *wanted* to rank UBC in their top 5 went to their interview or skyped it. They were nervous about not interviewing.

Not interviewing is (from what I understand) a fairly new concept based on evidence that the interview adds little to the knowledge a school has of the applicant.

Archived