Premed 101 Forums

very depressing

donnadee

The below quote together with about 800,000 sex selection abortions annually to destroy the lives of females in India during ther last decade is a stain on the conscience of India.

"Many factors come into play to explain this: infanticide, abuse and neglect of girl children."

And it is sad that there is no political will to eradicate this continuing genocide.

Don't forget abuse of grown women, MD2015. Just consider the bit about the woman being systematically beaten and threatened to be set on fire until she finally produced a son.

And I find it laughable that they think outlawing gender disclosure by physicians will solve this problem...it'll just lead to more female babies being left in the dumpster, river, or the woods.

"very depressing" indeed. It reminds me of this article on domestic violence in particular:

http://www.apiidv.org/files/DVFactSheet-Muslim-APIIDV-2011.pdf

33% of Muslim men say it is justified to beat their wife if she insults him and they are alone!

although the article you listed does show a depressing statistic, i think in India, the issue is mostly cultural as opposed to religious. It is important to be able to differentiate between the two...

i saw something on the bbc yesterday on that about china (1 child law), except it was sort of a joke segment showing how hard it was for men to find women to marry because of the abortion gap, i was pretty surprised that that would be the biggest of their concerns...

Archived