Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Major: Human Biology or Physiology

Rext

Hey everyone!

I just finished my 2nd year at UTSG and am wondering about which major to change to (either Human Bio or Physiology), my other major is health studies which I'm pretty dead set on (best courses/profs ever!). Anyway, I thought it'd be good to get a second/third/... opinion so I've listed the unique pros/cons of each program:

HMB:

- very flexible with courses to take

- easier to get a higher GPA

- no research scholarship opportunities (i.e. no NSERC, UROP, etc.)

- not a real department (i.e. has no graduate students)

PSL:

- very good research prospects (lots of funding available)

- more relevant to medicine

- opportunities to take classes with potential grad supervisors (should med not work out right away)

- very much harder to get a high GPA

If you guys could let me know what you think or add any more pros/cons it'd be really appreciated. I'm pretty set on MD but at the same time I don't want to limit my chances for grad school either.

Hey everyone!

I just finished my 2nd year at UTSG and am wondering about which major to change to (either Human Bio or Physiology), my other major is health studies which I'm pretty dead set on (best courses/profs ever!). Anyway, I thought it'd be good to get a second/third/... opinion so I've listed the unique pros/cons of each program:

HMB:

- very flexible with courses to take

- easier to get a higher GPA

- no research scholarship opportunities (i.e. no NSERC, UROP, etc.)

- not a real department (i.e. has no graduate students)

PSL:

- very good research prospects (lots of funding available)

- more relevant to medicine

- opportunities to take classes with potential grad supervisors (should med not work out right away)

- very much harder to get a high GPA

If you guys could let me know what you think or add any more pros/cons it'd be really appreciated. I'm pretty set on MD but at the same time I don't want to limit my chances for grad school either.

I'd go with HMB... but maybe add a PSL minor if you want? You can get research opportunities with HMB too, you just have to ask around... and like you said, HMB is easier to get that kick-ass GPA and there is much more flexibility in courses.

HMB major is pretty flexible, and you can more or less take whatever you want in your upper years. The only catch is the general HMB major does not give you priority for most courses in HMB, and as you probably know HMB courses fill up extremely fast.

I also recommend a CSB major as an alternative. CSB courses fills up extremely fast too but CSB majors get priority in those courses.

Archived