Premed 101 Forums

need help please!!!

Siren

Hi everyone, I just finished my third year and was accepted to ottawa from the waitinglist. However, I was really struggling last term and withdrew from some courses. As a result, I only have a total of 13.5 credits instead of 15. Ottawa said I must get 15 credits in order to get a offer, and I was wondering if this has happend to anyone else in the past before? Is there recognized online institutions where I can get credits fast? I'm willing to work day and night for it... Thanks so much! --Siren

Edit- I have one more question regarding Ottawa's requirements. Is the five credit per year rule a new one? I only had 4 credits in first year but 6 credits in second year and they still interviewed me. Also, I don't remember seeing we have to complete all courses by early june before (ie. last sept when I was applying). Is this a new addition?

Thanks to all the members that have messaged me.

To my knowledge, this is not a new addition:

Eligibility Criteria

Applications will be accepted from students in good standing who will have successfully completed, prior to the beginning of June preceding registration, in a recognized university, three years of full-time studies (five full-year course/year) in any undergraduate program leading to a bachelor’s degree, including four specific prerequisite courses: 1. one full year course (or two semester courses) in General Biology including laboratory session; 2. one full year course in Humanities or Social Sciences (or two semester courses in separate disciplines; 3. and 4. the equivalent of two full-year courses (or four semester courses) of the following Chemistry courses: i) General Biochemistry without laboratory session; ii) General Chemistry with laboratory session; iii) Organic Chemistry with laboratory session.

A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted for the credit value in this instance however the mark obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA. Any year with less than four full-year courses will not count as a full-time year of study. A full-time summer semester does not replace a semester of studies within an academic year.

Candidates are allowed to complete missing prerequisite courses during the academic year preceding admission but not during the summer before their registration in the MD program of studies.

The description of the prerequisite sciences courses offered at the University of Ottawa can be found in the last step of the eligibility requirements.

Does anyone know the process for a deferral at Ottawa or in general? In Chantel's email, there's no mention of how the process works. Do I HAVE to register for the fall semester before I apply for deferral? Please PM me if you have any info. Thank you so much!

--siren

Archived