Premed 101 Forums

*What subjects are good prep for the MCAT?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*T

Date:***8/22/2000 2:36 pm*PST

Medical schools don't require anatomy as a prerequisite but human anatomy would definetly help you with the MCAT. Physiology is the bulk of the bio section. I used the gold standard as a review and did all of the aamc practice tests. the gold standard covered everything that you needed to know. There isn't really any plant stuff on the mcat, just basic stuff like plant cell structure. Organic chem will definetly be needed for the mcat. You need a basic physics course, an intro to chem, organic chem and some bio background (anatomy + physiology, meiosis e.t.c.). The math was pretty basic (you don't get to use a calculator on the mcat)mostly logs and manipulation of equations. I found that I forgot a lot of stuff by august so if i would have written it in april I think that I would have remembered more because I would have just finished studying for final exams. It wasn't worth the stress of studying ALL summer. Plus if you write in april you get your scores before the august exam and can rewrite if you do poorly. The mcat is all about endurance and pacing yourself. Good luck.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***8/22/2000 2:04 pm*PST

I was wondering if Intro to botany, Intro to Zoology, cellular and molecular biology, intro to genetics, inorganic chem and organic chem ,algebra based physics and calculus 1 is all we need for prep of the mcat or are there other classes that are needed or will really help you do better such as maybe anatomy or physiology classes? Also I want to take my MCAT in April the same year I will be in the middle of finishing up my intro to genetics class,organic chemistry 2, and physics 2, but won't this put me at a bigger advantage then if I just waited to complete those classes and took it in august or is the material covered in the last 1/3 to 1/2 of these classes so negligible that I can probably gain it through practice tests and books like the gold standard? Please help me because this is a dillemma I think me and many others have. Also is anyone aware of what medical schools like better, human anatomy or comparitive anatomy?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/22/2000 10:10 am*PST

If I take a 1 year sequence in physics and I take the MCAT in april do you think not having that last month and a half of physics will hurt my physical science score or will it be very negligible? Also I was wondering on if medical schools prefer comparitive anatomy(upper division) over human anatomy(Lower div Ge) or vice o versa or does taking one over the other not make a difference to them? I was also wondering if the admissions committee gives a higher acceptance rate to people who do good on their prerequisites and NOT on what math/science/computer classes they take beyond those prerequisites?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/23/2000 10:48 am*PST

Hmm, I missed this post earlier.

Just to reiterate: I think you could, if you practiced a alot, master the Physics sections that you would have missed in order to write the MCAT. Medical schools don't care if you've taken Anatomy before; it will neither benefit nor harm your application unless you do badly in it. Make sure to keep your GPA up if you take it; Anatomy requires quite a bit of time.

Finally, if you are going to do well in any classes, try to make it the prerequisites. These will be the classes that all applicants will have in common, and they will also be the ones that are relevant to the MCAT. You need to keep your overall GPA high as well though, so don't slack off in your electives either.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/23/2000 10:43 am*PST

I thought this message warrented its own slot, so I've moved it up to the top...

Paul wrote:

I was wondering if Intro to botany, Intro to Zoology, cellular and molecular biology, intro to genetics, inorganic chem and organic chem ,algebra based physics and calculus 1 is all we need for prep of the mcat or are there other classes that are needed or will really help you do better such as maybe anatomy or physiology classes? Also I want to take my MCAT in April the same year I will be in the middle of finishing up my intro to genetics class,organic chemistry 2, and physics 2, but won't this put me at a bigger advantage then if I just waited to complete those classes and took it in august or is the material covered in the last 1/3 to 1/2 of these classes so negligible that I can probably gain it through practice tests and books like the gold standard? Please help me because this is a dillemma I think me and many others have. Also is anyone aware of what medical schools like better, human anatomy or comparitive anatomy?

Out of the courses that you listed at the top, I think that both Chems, Physics, Cell/Molecular Bio, and possibly Zoology will be the highest yield courses for the MCAT. One course that will probably help a significant amount is Physiology. Anatomy probably isn't that useful for the MCAT, and medical schools don't care either way if you've done an Anatomy course.

In my year of Organic Chemistry, the first half was devoted to conceptual understanding; ie: draw me the structure of this molecule based on its name, figure out stereoisomers, and work through some basic neucleophilic and electrophilic reactions. The second half was most of the hardcore reactions, where you were asked to find the most efficient way to construct huge molecules out of smaller reagent molecules. I think you could definitely be tested on some of the "second half" information in the MCAT. A lot of it is memorization, but there are likely lots of tricks you won't easily get out of a book. Your prof might often mention that a reaction that on paper looks like it works, in reality doesn't.

I feel the same way about Physics; you'll probably be tested on second-term material, but with Physics, you could probably learn it on your own through sheer repetition of practice problems.

I don't think missing part of second term genetics will be a huge detriment.

I think the important thing is: are you Canadian or American? Writing the MCAT in April is crucial if you are an American student, and your applications to AMCAS are sent off on June 1. If you're Canadian, deadlines for applying to schools are usually October/November, so writing the MCAT then doesn't really hinder you.

Ian

Can MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/24/2000 1:56 pm*PST

I am an american and I want to take the exam in april after my sophomore year so it doesn't have to do with applying to medical school because I dont want to do that until after my junior year. I changed my mind and I think I am going to skip any genetics class but do you think this will have any effect as long as I am still taking cellular and molecular biology? because I heard you mention that most of the genetics can be learned by preparing for the MCAT with those books you recommend. Also if you learn the physiology in zoology really well and know a lot about physiology but don't take any anatomy or physiology courses except zoology and cellular and molecular biology will this and the books you recommend cover all the material on the MCAT? FInally are there people out there who have done better in the april exam then in august even though they had a whole summer to study because of the burnt out factor of most students taking it in april which gives you an advantage?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/25/2000 5:22 pm*PST

Paul wrote:

-------------------------------

I am an american and I want to take the exam in april after my sophomore year so it doesn't have to do with applying to medical school because I dont want to do that until after my junior year. I changed my mind and I think I am going to skip any genetics class but do you think this will have any effect as long as I am still taking cellular and molecular biology? because I heard you mention that most of the genetics can be learned by preparing for the MCAT with those books you recommend. Also if you learn the physiology in zoology really well and know a lot about physiology but don't take any anatomy or physiology courses except zoology and cellular and molecular biology will this and the books you recommend cover all the material on the MCAT? FInally are there people out there who have done better in the april exam then in august even though they had a whole summer to study because of the burnt out factor of most students taking it in april which gives you an advantage?

Hmm. Let me take this point by point. First, the MCAT has multiple versions, and each exam is different from year to year. As a result, it's really dangerous to base all your decisions on my past experiences. The intent of the web-site is to give you my honest opinions and advice, while acknowledging that no one person is ever right when it comes to something subjective like med school admissions.

Therefore, take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I can't really give you any ideas on how your course selection will influence your MCAT results, partially because the MCAT varies with each test, but also because I don't know your school's curriculum, and what is covered in each course.

I stick to the recommendations that Physiology and Cell Biology/Biochemistry will be the highest yield "Biology" courses that you could take for the Biological Sciences section of the MCAT. Naturally, you'll also need Organic Chemistry.

I don't know if the Zoology course will cover the same material, which is why I make this final recommendation.

Start early, and purchase all the AAMC old MCAT exams, as well as a good review book. Write one or two of the exams to see where your weak points are. Devote a greater amount of your self-study time towards those areas. This way, even if there are gaps because you didn't take a certain course, you'll still be able to correct that deficiency.

Also, regarding the April vs August exam results after scaling, it really is impossible to test in a practical sense. However, I've heard this from multiple people, and it seems to make sense; that's the reason I posted it as I would never have thought of it myself.

Is there another reason that you aren't writing the test in August? You would have significantly more time to prepare for it, and wouldn't be jeopardizing your second term marks.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/28/2000 8:37 am*PST

If the zoology course covers physiology is that enough? When you say physiology course do you mean courses like physiology of the human systems or something like that? Well I am not going to be taking that high of a work load compared to some of my other semesters just so I have time to study for the MCAT on weekends during my sophomore year plus I can take it again it again in august of my sophomore year, but since I am taking it my sophomore year would you just recommend that I take it in august and if I don't like the results I can just take it again in august the following year? During my sophomore year I MAY have enough time due to my weakening of my course load so I can study for this test but of course I will have probably have a little more time in the summer, I will also have finished the last month of physics 2and organic chemistry 2 but I still jeopardize not going right up the curve( Unless you think the advantage by the extra time in summer plus finishing up my courses completely will be much helpful then taking it in April of my sophomore year) and if I were to retake it my junior year I have a heavier workload and won't really be able to study so I would have to wait to take it in august. Basically to sum it up, what is better, having a chance at 3 shots (2 of them in my sophomore year and with a lighter courseload) but I won't be finished with the last month of physics 2 or organic chem 2 and won't have the chance to take a physiology of the human systems if you think that zoology physiology isn't sufficient, OR should I wait till the summer of my sophomore year after finishing up the classes and taking the additional physiology course if needed?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/28/2000 6:15 pm*PST

As it stands I don't want to take any genetics classes before my MCAT because from what I have heard on this website they are a waste of time and can be learned from the review books and practice tests am I doing the right thing as long as I study from the Gold standard (or something similiar) and take practice tests?Also for those of you in medical school I was wondering on after classes how many hours do you spend on each school weekday and each weekend studying(that is if you do some on weekends), studying, etc and how many hours would you say the average student in medical school who is getting C's spends doing this versus one who is getting A's and are classes like biochemistry or some of the physiology courses anything comparable to some at the undergraduate level or are they much more in detail or is the material brought up in a different perspective and on different things or is it a little bit of both? Finally what classes subjects will REALLY help you alot? Like for example do classes like genetics, vertebrate embryology, medical microbiology, bacteriology, comparitive anatomy of vertebrates, and physiology of human systems help tremendously in easing the studying and the learning(mental) workload you would have if you didn't take these classes because you have a strong foundation in all the basics of biology or by the time you get to medical school and the way the material is brought up and the "leakage" factor makes most of this lost?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/29/2000 4:02 pm*PST

First thing, don't worry about taking classes that will help you in medical school. Your goal should be to get into medical school, not make life easier for when you do.

A lot of the med school-relevant undergrad courses are very time-intensive. eg. Anatomy, Biochemistry. If you don't need them for the MCAT, I wouldn't recommend taking them. You'll get all the med material you need once you enter med classes. The art majors in my class are doing just fine.

As well, these time-intensive classes are learned usually via cramming (not the way you're supposed to do it, but that's usually how it turns out), so a large portion of the information "leaks" with each year. I estimate I've probably forgotten about 25% of what I learned in first-year med; How much do you think will be left after four years? Answer: Not a lot. It'll be the basics that you remember, and most of the fine detail will be re-covered during your residency most likely.

On average, our class studies about 16 hours a week. This is in addition to our regular day, which sees us go 8:30-5:00 all five days except for two mornings off in which we are supposed to learn about PBL.

Finally, there are people in medical school who study all the time, and probably don't break 80%, and there are other people who study much less time, and get much higher marks. At this level, personal background has a lot more to do with the marks you get.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/30/2000 10:02 pm*PST

Too bad I can't take biochemistry until my junior year because of the prerequisites so before my MCAT I can only take a physiology course or genetics course and only one I have room for as far as my schedule looks for now. Do you think I should forget the genetics class even though I will have basic physiology in zoology course and take the advanced uppper division course called physiology of the human systems? I only get one class to choose from so I have to absolutely make sure the class I choose will statistically give me a better chance. Even if you can't be certain I trust your opinion more then a pre med advisor or just blindly deciding what course I think would be best for the mcat. How does the gold standard cover the material I mean is it basically a outline type review or does the book actually teach it to you if you never learned it?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/30/2000 2:06 pm*PST

Ok I have some old questions that never got answered and some new ones. If I don't take any genetics class or biochemistry class before my MCAT but I use the gold standard and practice tests and prepare will this be sufficient to cover all the genetics and biochem I need? 2nd Where can I get the aamc practice tests and the book the Gold standard? 3rd for my letter of recommendations if I give them early to my referees before I apply do they need the medical school name and the addresses and do they just give me back the 5 or 10 letters all sealed back to me? 3rd I have room for only one physiology biology class past my zoology class which has basic physiology included in the class, could you please tell me in order of importance these classes are for the MCAT, Physiology of the human systems, vertebrate embryology, and comparitive anatomy? 4th, if I shadow with a doctor will this cover the clinical/volunteer requirement that med schools have and how many hours should I be with this doctor? 5th is it recommended that you should do research with a professor you get a recommendation of or is it negligible and what the medical schools really care more about is your academic status in the class and what the professor thinks of you? 5th how many hours should we study for the MCAT, I am thinking that I can allow in the ballpark of 130 to 180 hours of studying but is this sufficient to take all the practice tests you need, study using a book like the gold standard and doing maybe other review or do I need more or maybe even less then this time alloted? Your answers will be much appreciated, thank you.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***8/30/2000 4:46 pm*PST

Paul wrote:

-------------------------------

Ok I have some old questions that never got answered and some new ones. If I don't take any genetics class or biochemistry class before my MCAT but I use the gold standard and practice tests and prepare will this be sufficient to cover all the genetics and biochem I need? 2nd Where can I get the aamc practice tests and the book the Gold standard? 3rd for my letter of recommendations if I give them early to my referees before I apply do they need the medical school name and the addresses and do they just give me back the 5 or 10 letters all sealed back to me? 3rd I have room for only one physiology biology class past my zoology class which has basic physiology included in the class, could you please tell me in order of importance these classes are for the MCAT, Physiology of the human systems, vertebrate embryology, and comparitive anatomy? 4th, if I shadow with a doctor will this cover the clinical/volunteer requirement that med schools have and how many hours should I be with this doc....

Hmm. I've got to re-iterate Paul, that there's no specific formula that will get you into medical school. There's also no specific formula for the MCAT, nor for doctor shadowing, nor for volunteer hours. I'm only giving you my opinions, and they could very well be wrong. Please make sure to check everything out with the medical schools.

Here's my answers to your questions in order:

1) The AAMC and Gold Standard will give you a lot of good information. Since the MCAT varies with each year, it's *impossible* to say that it will be enough to just do AAMC and GS. If you have a choice between taking genetics or biochem, I think biochem would be more useful on the MCAT. I would be scared to do the MCAT with only GS and the AAMC exams; it's easier to learn when there's a teacher.

2) Try http://www.aamc.org Go into the MCAT section, and there should be an order form there. I didn't have access to them, but they can be bought through the web, and the above web-site is the organization that prepares the MCAT. The GS can be bought in any good university bookstore, or on-line.

3) Do whatever you want as long as both you and the referees understand and accept exactly what you are doing *and* you can have the letters sent off with your secondary applications. If you pre-address and stamp the envelopes then your referees can just print off a custom letter for each school and drop them all in the mailbox on the way to work.

4) Remember 1). The MCAT is totally variable, so my opinion could very well be wrong. From most to least useful: human physiology, comparative anatomy, and last, vertebrate embryology.

5) Probably not. You really need to do something when you volunteer, and doctor shadowing, really isn't that effort intensive. I'd look into volunteer programs at the local hospital where you might play a role as a care-taker. This could be candy-striping, working in Emerg, working in the daycare, or any number of other activities to help the patients that don't require a trained nurse, tech, or doctor.

As far as hours go, I think that you'd want at least 100, if not 200 to keep up with the other applicants. Still, doctor shadowing is totally worth doing as well. It'll give you a better look into what a doctor actually does during a typical day, and it'll give you something to talk about with your interviewers.

Once again, these are just my opinions. Please don't take them as gospel.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Carson

Date:***9/1/2000 11:12 am*PST

Paul, here are some answers to your questions as I understand them:

1. If you study the "must know" MCAT material through GS or any other review book and understand it, you should be fine. Taking biochem or genetics in advance will probably just decrease the amount of time you need to study for it during your MCAT preparation, but if you can learn what's in the review material in GS, you should be fine.

2. I got my practice materials through Chapters bookstore (you can get them in store or order). I used Kaplen review, very simliar to GS. My book had the addresses for ordering any aamc practice tests/ material.

3. Not quite sure, I'm applying for the first time this October.

4. Human physiology, comparitive anatomy, and vertabrate embryology

5. Shadowing a doctor would be good, but my understanding is that they like to see a variety of interests. Do what you would like to do (volunteer in any division of the hospital, tutor high school or junior high students, etc., etc.)

6. It NEVER hurts to get to know a few profs, then IF you decide to use them as references you can.

7. It's tough to put an exact hour required for MCAT preparation. I wrote in August, so I spent 3 months (about 3 days/week for 5 hours) reviewing all the material, doing pratice tests, etc. I guess if you add it up that works out to about 180 hours, but spend as much time as you feel comfortable with the material (it may be 5 hours or 500 hours). Either way, give yourself lots of time and pace yourself well.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/3/2000 5:38 pm*PST

This question didn't get answered but its important for me. I might have problems with my scheduling and I can only get certain classes in so I may not be able to get a upper division physiology of the human systems course in that people have been recommending. I may be able to get a introductory genetics in if I don't get the class I wanted or some other course if I can't get those two. Basically with introductory genetics class now included in the list please someone tell me in order of importance which classes are best for preperation of the mcat in order of importance:Introductory genetics,physiology of the human systems, vertebrate embryology, and comparitive anatomy.

Keep in mind that I won't be taking biochem before my mcat and no genetics unless I take the one in the list iam asking for you to rank, but I will have had zoology which includes basic human and animal physiology (wonders why you would need anymore physiology then the basics covered in zoology anyways for a test like the mcat?)and cellular molecular biology and also keep in mind that I will prepare for material such as genetics or biochem even if I don't take the class by using the review books and practice tests, so please with the classes I have chosen in mind please tell me which ones in order of importance will help me on the MCAT in improving my score. Thanks for your time it is really appreciated.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/3/2000 8:04 pm*PST

The reason I rank Zoology really low is because the Zoology programs at my undergrad school didn't have a great deal of Physiology content. If this is not the case for your school, then that changes things around.

If you have, or are expecting to have, some background knowledge in Physiology, then perhaps taking Genetics will be more useful. In which case, the order (from first to last) becomes: Genetics, Physiology, Anatomy, and Embryology.

Perhaps more importantly, make sure that whatever class you take, you have at least some interest in it, and can get a good mark. Taking a class that might help you for 10-15 biological questions on the MCAT, but that kills your GPA just isn't worth taking.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/3/2000 8:25 pm*PST

Well I haven't had the class but I have seen the book and IF the class covers the physiology I would say the human and animal physiology that it would cover is probably close to the level of physiology you would see in a very low division introductory biology class, but most teachers don't cover it in a general biology class because they leave it for the class of Intro to zoology I assume. If you are familiar with what a basic very low division introductory biology course covers in physiology do you still think I will be better prepared probably with a genetics than the advanced physiology course or the other way around? Oh and one more twist to the whole thing is that I have taken a basic biology course where genetics was talked about a lot more then would be brought up in a zoology or botany course( I don't think it will be anywhere as intense though as a genetics course but I did learn a lot of the basics behind genetics) but it will be 2 years later before I take my MCAT ? Basically this is a coin toss between if the intro to zoology course covers the physiology well enough that I don't need it or if the genetics in a basic biology course was enough and considering I can brush up and learn more of the genetics with a good review book, can you remember what a basic biology course teaches and that will give you an idea of my background in genetics and physiology(if they cover it in zoology)? This is aggravating because I wish the MCAT would give an outline of recommended courses specifically needed and I wish my school didn't have such a tight schedule that I have to do this ranking thing LOL! Thanks for your time and reading this.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/3/2000 11:15 pm*PST

Paul,

I'm sorry, but I can't help you in regards to the content of a lower level biology course. It just doesn't carry over from one university to another. At UVic, it often happened that two instructors for the same course would teach different material based on their personal preferences. If two courses aren't consistent even within a university, they certainly won't be with you and I. You obviously have put a great deal of thought into this matter, but I don't see a simple answer.

At this point, I would consider the choice between Physiology and Genetics to be a toss-up. Both look like they would benefit you for the MCAT. I say register for both, and take the one that looks more interesting. You can expect MCAT questions on both Genetics and Physiology (they are both testable subjects), so just make sure to do well in the course that you choose, and study harder for the other one.

Best of luck!

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/4/2000 10:56 am*PST

I had a problem getting into your website I had to change the address from the http://www.geocities in your link to share.geocities because I got a forbidden error when I used the old address. The only reason why I changed it to share.geocities is because when i looked up the whole Hotsprings/Oasis/ directory it started pointing to a share.geocities.com address so I tried it with this page and it worked. Don't ask me if this was just a temporary problem or what and why they changed the address anyone else have this problem? Basically now the question is when I review using the Gold standard and practice tests, for example, which one covers the material you need to know better, the genetics or physiology? or are both covered reasonbly enough for a fair preperation of the MCAT if I don't get one of the classes?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/5/2000 10:49 am*PST

I no longer have my Gold Standard book, and I came from basically a Genetics background, so I don't even remember if I bothered to review that section. In addition, while I didn't have any dedicated Physiology courses in university, I'd covered quite a bit of it through high school (we had an incredible teacher), and didn't find that lacking on the MCAT either.

My recommendation is to pick between that Genetics class and the Physiology (your choice). Then, go and order the AAMC practice exams, and do 2-3 of them. At that point, you should have a better idea of just how much depth is required for each subject in the Biological Sciences section. The Gold Standard is not the end-all and be-all of review books; it just happened to be the one I liked the most.

As a result, I'm sure you could go to your campus bookstore and find a review book that covered the Biological sections better than the Gold Standard. It's just not certain that it will be better in the other three sections as well.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/26/2000 7:52 pm*PST

I talked to one of my professors and he said he might be teaching an endocrinology class next year. As you know I can only take one physiology course for my mcat and I was previously thinking of physiology of human systems but I really like this professor and he does a good job teaching because he does powerpoint computer presentation so I think its real effective and he is an enjoyable teacher so anyways I was wondering if you think I should take this course instead of physiology of human systems as preperation for the mcat. Please consider the fact I like him better as a teacher and his presentation then probably the alternative, and I do have a little physiology background in the sense that I learned some physiology in high school and read up some(at a freshman biology level) the summer before my freshman year so physiology is not totally foreign to me. I have heard that mcat is big on hormones and I think I can just review the rest since the basics of physiology won't be foreign especially if I do just a little reviewing before the mcat UNLESS you don't think thats a good idea. Well if it fits in my schedule should I take it instead of physiology of human systems? If taking the other class doesn't prepare me as well even though I have a little physiology background and can study for the mcat then I would rather take the more important class regardless of the professor unless if both of them are not that much different in affecting my mcat score.

I will also be taking cellular and molecular biology but I am guessing that I shouldn't forfeit this class as preperation for the mcat so I can have both endocrinology and physiology of human systems unless you think thats a better idea (remember though I won't have taken any biochem before my mcat so molecular and cellular bio I guess is a must right?).

Thanks for reading I really appreciate it.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/26/2000 11:02 pm*PST

If you think you can keep up a good GPA in the course, then go for it. I wouldn't even worry about the MCAT preparation part of it. I think endocrine, by necessity, will have to cover a lot of physiology in order to make sense of the hormones and their pathways. Anything that you miss can be learned on your own during MCAT review.

The major thing is to keep the GPA up. It sounds really good that you like the prof; I can't overstate how much easier it is to learn if the prof is motivated, and a good teacher. Finally, if you think endocrine would be interesting, then that's really the final word. Go for it.

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/27/2000 7:52 pm*PST

Basically I think I am going to try to take endocrinology instead of medical microbiology ive decided even if I can't cram it in before my MCAT. I think in med school you take endocrinology course anyways don't you? or at least some meds schools do or you guys choose elective classes and this happens to be one of them I am not sure what is the case. I don't think the microbiology will be as helpful in med school anyways especially since I think you guys only take bacteriology if even that (which I am going to take later on) right?

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/27/2000 10:13 pm*PST

Endocrinology and Microbiology are both covered in med school. Here, and I suspect at virtually all North American schools, it is a mandatory part of the curriculum. I simply don't think you can be a good doctor without a good grasp of both of the above subjects.

However, with that said, Microbiology in undergrad is radically different than that of med school. In undergrad, most of your time is spent learning mechanisms and minutia. In med school, most of that irrelevant detail is skipped over, as you simply don't have time to memorise all of those facts for the thousands/millions of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites that can attack the human body. I didn't take undergrad endocrinology, so I don't know how that compares to med school endocrinology (which I also haven't taken yet, as it's later on this year).

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***9/29/2000 5:23 pm*PST

But would you say that probably Bacteriology is sufficient enough as a preperation for med school at the bachelors level for the microbiology subject and do you think a class like endocrinology would be more useful over a class called medical microbiology (its prerequisite is bacteriology) as far as preparing you academically for med school. Even though you haven't had endocrinology just tell me what you assume would be better for preparing academically in med school. It seems to me that taking medical microbiology you would learn more useless things like you said and also I am thinking that bacteriology is sufficient as a background in microbiology and that endocrinology is probably more of an advantage.

Archived