Premed 101 Forums

Predicting orgo rxn mechanisms

Femto

Any advice on how to predict which reaction will take place? There seems to be so many gd reactions and mechanisms, which makes it clear that simply memorizing each one is not the best way to learn the material.

So, what would be a recommended way to approach a specific reaction so you can predict which products form.

MCAT orgo is pretty overwhelming if you haven't taken it in UG...FML.

Any advice on how to predict which reaction will take place? There seems to be so many gd reactions and mechanisms, which makes it clear that simply memorizing each one is not the best way to learn the material.

So, what would be a recommended way to approach a specific reaction so you can predict which products form.

MCAT orgo is pretty overwhelming if you haven't taken it in UG...FML.

There are tons of reactions out there. But, the MCAT orgo is pretty simple. And, I've heard it's only 20% of the BS now. Try to visualize what is going on. And focus on the main reactions, like halogenation, aromatic reactions, SN1, SN2, E1, E2, grignard reactions, carboxylation, etc.

Also, try to focus on understanding electronegativity. It will make the arrow pushing in mechanisms clearer and you will begin to understand what the products should be.

Thanks Cerena!

I know I will get through it; but, man, so many considerations: size of molecules (what does bulky mean, anyway?), protic/aprotic solution, intermediates etc.

This must sounds pretty dumb to an orgo person...lol

which orgo books are you studying off of? im having troubles as well.. and im studying off examkrackers.. which is not the best i know.

EK is ok but it assumes prior knowledge and background. Its probably not the best as a first time source of the info. I suggest studying the required concepts (as per the AMCC list) from an actual basic/intro orgo book (eg. Mcmurry was it?) and then reading over EK, it points out certain things better than PR I felt.

I hate PR, with all respect lol. Their only good section is Bio. Everything else, I thought the presentation of material is very poor IMHO.

I also found the Khan Academy orgo videos very helpful for the mechanism explainations, Salman Khan is the man!

Thanks Cerena!

I know I will get through it; but, man, so many considerations: size of molecules (what does bulky mean, anyway?), protic/aprotic solution, intermediates etc.

This must sounds pretty dumb to an orgo person...lol

Bulky is what it sounds like. The more bulky a molecule is, the more weight it has on it. Depending on the reaction mechanism it will be harder or easier for the reaction to proceed.

Here's something to help you with SN1 versus SN2 that I tell my students:

SN1 = think sterically hindered molecules (chubby "ones")

SN2 = think little steric hinderance (skinny molecules don't go for "seconds")

I know it's lame :) But that's how I always remember the two! lol

P.S. If you ever want to ask an ochem question my way, do not feel dumb! I've probably struggled with the same concepts at one point or another. And have asked the same "dumb" questions. But, if I hadn't have asked those questions, I wouldn't know the material as well I do now.

I tried most of the MCAT books, since I sucked at orgo. None of them did a good job. The only book that really helped me is a non-mcat book. Organic Chemistry as a second language by Klein. check out the book. It will teach you a lot of principles and spare you the details. Once you know the key principles, you will just know how the reaction will occur.

LOL, that's awesome!

Bulky is what it sounds like. The more bulky a molecule is, the more weight it has on it. Depending on the reaction mechanism it will be harder or easier for the reaction to proceed.

Here's something to help you with SN1 versus SN2 that I tell my students:

SN1 = think sterically hindered molecules (chubby "ones")

SN2 = think little steric hinderance (skinny molecules don't go for "seconds")

I know it's lame :) But that's how I always remember the two! lol

P.S. If you ever want to ask an ochem question my way, do not feel dumb! I've probably struggled with the same concepts at one point or another. And have asked the same "dumb" questions. But, if I hadn't have asked those questions, I wouldn't know the material as well I do now.

Thanks so much! I may come back here to ask you some Qs as I work through this stuff.

Archived